When to take physics courses to do well on MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boba96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am an incoming freshmen and I am kind of scared for the physics section of the MCAT. :( I am a bit intimidated by physics. Do you think taking 3 quarters of physics my junior year will prepare me in time for when I take the MCAT in spring of junior year? Or when should I take physics? (btw, I am thinking of taking physics junior year as of now because most bio majors do that at my university). Thanks for the help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I took Physics my first year and it was the best decision of my life, since it allowed more room my sophomore year to take more biology classes. I highly recommend you consider taking the MCAT the beginning of your junior year (after a full summer of studying) if you're not planning on taking a gap year. Summers are better for studying for the MCAT, in my opinion.

I took Physics my first year and it was the best decision of my life, since it allowed more room my sophomore year to take more biology classes. I highly recommend you consider taking the MCAT the beginning of your junior year (after a full summer of studying) if you're not planning on taking a gap year. Summers are better for studying for the MCAT, in my opinion.
When do most undergrads take the MCAT? Is it usually summer of 2nd year?

Members don't see this ad :)
When do most undergrads take the MCAT? Is it usually summer of 2nd year?

Most undergrads nowadays are taking time off after college before applying, so that is not a question with one answer.

Traditional applicants (people applying without any gap years) usually take it spring of junior year, but I'm still strongly urging you to take it immediately after a summer's worth of studying. If you want to take a gap year, take it at the beginning of your senior year (after studying for the whole summer). If you aren't taking a gap year, take it after the summer of your 2nd year.

Taking the new MCAT after sophomore year will be difficult. Gen Chem, O-Chem and Biochem more than two years. I am taking physics junior year.

Taking the new MCAT after sophomore year will be difficult. Gen Chem, O-Chem and Biochem more than two years. I am taking physics junior year.

Which is why I took Physics my first year along with General Chemistry. It allowed me extra room to take Biochemistry my second year.

Which is why I took Physics my first year along with General Chemistry. It allowed me extra room to take Biochemistry my second year.
Is that physics and general chemistry with lab for both? If so, was labs for both courses a bit much to handle freshmen year?

Is that physics and general chemistry with lab for both? If so, was labs for both courses a bit much to handle freshmen year?

Yes. And, depends on how well you handle your time. I thought it was very manageable.

I'm an entering junior planning on taking a gap year and aiming to take the new MCAT at the end of August next summer.

I'm taking Physics I this fall, Physics II and Biochem in the spring. I'll have all the MCAT material taken care of at that point. I plan on taking only 12-13 credits spring semester so I have more time to tutor Gen Chem, Orgo and bio classes and begin studying for the MCAT. After that I'll have a whole summer to really dive in and study for the MCAT which I'll take mid to late August.

That's how I'm approaching things at least, hope that helps.

Hopefully my personal anecdote can help you become less scared of physics: I got a 1 on my AP Physics B exam but got a 14 on the MCAT PS section!

I think if you plan on taking a prep course for the MCAT, then it doesn't really matter when you take physics in college. I really thought the prep course was sufficient in helping me do well on the section (I took one semester of physics as a freshman and the other one as a junior).

If you are not comfortable with physics, I don't see why you would want to push yourself to take it early. Your first semester should be spent learning how to study in college. Taking a lot of lab classes as a freshmen can hurt your GPA. These are weed-out classes for a reason. The best advice I received from my pre-med advisor was to remember it is a marathon and not a sprint and I am sitting on a near-perfect GPA. What is manageable at one school can feel impossible at another.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. And, depends on how well you handle your time. I thought it was very manageable.

This seems like it would be quite a course load. I would take chem alone, physics alone, and then bio and ochem at the same time. Then again I found bio not that tough, so whatever you feel most comfortable with

Well, I'm taking physics along with Biochem this fall as a sophomore but I was able to take Ochem with Bio my freshman year due to AP Chem credit.

Many students at my school take both Physics I & II in one summer term.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm taking physics along with Biochem this fall as a sophomore but I was able to take Ochem with Bio my freshman year due to AP Chem credit.

Many students at my school take both Physics I & II in one summer term.

Make sure you're okay with the AP Chem thing. I know some students at my school who passed out of gen chem due to AP credits had a tough time later explaining that they had taken the requisite courses to apply. I'm sure you'll be fine, but just a heads up.

take physics as early as possible. If you do bad on it, you can still make up for the low GPA with an upward trend in your later college years

This seems like it would be quite a course load. I would take chem alone, physics alone, and then bio and ochem at the same time. Then again I found bio not that tough, so whatever you feel most comfortable with

They're all premed weeder classes, so I doubt the course load rigor changes significantly with the combination you take them in. But for discussion's sake, Chemistry and Physics were calculation courses and had topics that overlapped with each other, so I thought that this similarity made it better to take together.

They're all premed weeder classes, so I doubt the course load rigor changes significantly with the combination you take them in. But for discussion's sake, Chemistry and Physics were calculation courses and had topics that overlapped with each other, so I thought that this similarity made it better to take together.

Fair enough. Either way I definitely agree with getting biochem done. Good to move on to upper level bio in a timely manner

If you are not comfortable with physics, I don't see why you would want to push yourself to take it early. Your first semester should be spent learning how to study in college. Taking a lot of lab classes as a freshmen can hurt your GPA. These are weed-out classes for a reason. The best advice I received from my pre-med advisor was to remember it is a marathon and not a sprint and I am sitting on a near-perfect GPA. What is manageable at one school can feel impossible at another.

Yes, I agree, it all depends on what you're comfortable with. I was taking into consideration OP's goals as well. More and more premeds are taking time off after graduation, so pushing back the prereqs isn't a bad idea. But if OP doesn't want to take any time off, then the challenge is to time your prereqs in such a way that you can give yourself a good summer to study for the MCAT.

My schedule worked for me (I don't plan on taking a year off) and allowed me this whole summer to prepare for my MCAT. I'm also sitting at a near perfect GPA, if that matters at all.

:hijacked: Question: I plan on taking Gen Chem 1, Gen Bio 1, and Physics next semester. Does that seem overboard?

Thanks

:hijacked: Question: I plan on taking Gen Chem 1, Gen Bio 1, and Physics next semester. Does that seem overboard?

Thanks

I did that my first year except replace General Bio with upper division Bio (Physiology). It was doable, but things got busy around midterms (I actually had midterms for all three within the span of a few days and a paper due for my writing class the following Monday :bookworm:). If you can manage your time, you should be fine.

Fair enough. Either way I definitely agree with getting biochem done. Good to move on to upper level bio in a timely manner

Do upper division bio classes such as anatomy and physiology help with the MCAT? Or will intro bio classes suffice? Also, do you think an intro biochemistry course will do for the MCAT or should I take an upper-division biochemistry course before the MCAT?

Yes, I agree, it all depends on what you're comfortable with. I was taking into consideration OP's goals as well. More and more premeds are taking time off after graduation, so pushing back the prereqs isn't a bad idea. But if OP doesn't want to take any time off, then the challenge is to time your prereqs in such a way that you can give yourself a good summer to study for the MCAT.

My schedule worked for me (I don't plan on taking a year off) and allowed me this whole summer to prepare for my MCAT. I'm also sitting at a near perfect GPA, if that matters at all.
How is your summer going? Are you studying for the MCAT as well as preparing your application (I'm guessing the application must be very time consuming?)? Also will your MCAT score be processed in time for the application review if you don't do a gap year? I really don't want to take a gap year just like you, but is the process so far a bit rushed or overwhelming?

Do upper division bio classes such as anatomy and physiology help with the MCAT? Or will intro bio classes suffice? Also, do you think an intro biochemistry course will do for the MCAT or should I take an upper-division biochemistry course before the MCAT?

You will be taking the 2015 MCAT, so you will need General Biology and Biochemistry. You should try to take upper division Biochemistry, but then again, I have no idea how detailed intro biochemistry is. I've never even heard of it.

How is your summer going? Are you studying for the MCAT as well as preparing your application (I'm guessing the application must be very time consuming?)? Also will your MCAT score be processed in time for the application review if you don't do a gap year? I really don't want to take a gap year just like you, but is the process so far a bit rushed or overwhelming?

You misunderstand. You should take the MCAT after the summer BEFORE the cycle you want to apply. For example, I am studying for the MCAT right now and will not be applying until NEXT cycle. I won't be doing applications until NEXT summer. If I were to apply this cycle, I would not only be rushed but be late in applying as well.

There's also nothing wrong with taking a gap year. I always highly recommend it as there are absolutely no down sides that I can see. The reason why I am not taking one is a long story that does not need to be posted on a thread like this. :p

Almost everything you need for the MCAT you'll get between prerequisite courses and studying. It's all about studying. Upper level is good for the application, I would say it's even helped me with med school material in the early going here, but I wouldn't say so much for the MCAT.

I could potentially take MCAT next summer before junior year starts as I would have completed all prerequisites including biochem, psych, sociology, and even 2 semesters of stats (if you are thinking wth, all of my courses in ugrad so far in some way related to MCAT :D) but I think I would rather take 4 more upper division bio courses prior to spring term of junior year and take an extremely easy courseload in that semester and take MCAT at the end of junior year.

In other words I come to believe that classes such as upper division physiology and cell biology will serve as a good preparation for MCAT.

Hello! I am an incoming freshmen and I am kind of scared for the physics section of the MCAT. :( I am a bit intimidated by physics. Do you think taking 3 quarters of physics my junior year will prepare me in time for when I take the MCAT in spring of junior year? Or when should I take physics? (btw, I am thinking of taking physics junior year as of now because most bio majors do that at my university). Thanks for the help! :)
Taking physics right before your MCAT could be beneficial because it will still be fresh in your mind. I took physics I my sophomore year and physics II my senior year. I felt like I had a better grasp on the Physics II content for the MCAT. However, this may have more to do with the professor though. My physics II prof was much better than physics I prof. I highly recommend you try to find a good professor who will really teach you the concepts of physics, and provide you with a good foundation for the MCAT. IMO this is more important than the timing of when you take physics. Good luck!

I think if you really want to do best on physical section, you may as well to declare in physic major since you are only a freshman. I got both A in my physics class (at UC Irvine), yet I still feel overwhelmed by the physical section of the MCAT (still managed to get a 10, but that was lucky). I heard those people who major in physics score very well (13+) since they are taking upper class of physics. There is just no way (I don't think) a biology major can compete with physics major in physical section.

You will be taking the 2015 MCAT, so you will need General Biology and Biochemistry. You should try to take upper division Biochemistry, but then again, I have no idea how detailed intro biochemistry is. I've never even heard of it.

This is the description of the intro/lower division biochemistry course on the university's site: Structure and properties of proteins; major biochemical pathways and mechanisms for their control. Do you think that's enough for MCAT?

I think if you really want to do best on physical section, you may as well to declare in physic major since you are only a freshman. I got both A in my physics class (at UC Irvine), yet I still feel overwhelmed by the physical section of the MCAT (still managed to get a 10, but that was lucky). I heard those people who major in physics score very well (13+) since they are taking upper class of physics. There is just no way (I don't think) a biology major can compete with physics major in physical section.
I am attending UC Irvine! I will definitely take that into consideration. But how is the physics 3A-C series with lab at UCI? Is it difficult (even though you got As)? Do you think I can handle it with Bio and General Chem freshmen year at UCI?

I could potentially take MCAT next summer before junior year starts as I would have completed all prerequisites including biochem, psych, sociology, and even 2 semesters of stats (if you are thinking wth, all of my courses in ugrad so far in some way related to MCAT :D) but I think I would rather take 4 more upper division bio courses prior to spring term of junior year and take an extremely easy courseload in that semester and take MCAT at the end of junior year.

In other words I come to believe that classes such as upper division physiology and cell biology will serve as a good preparation for MCAT.
So are you planning to do a gap year or will you apply that summer after junior year as well? Would it feel rushed MCAT and all those applications)?

So are you planning to do a gap year or will you apply that summer after junior year as well? Would it feel rushed MCAT and all those applications)?

I'm certainly not planning on taking a gap year.

AMCAS application opens first week of June so you can take MCAT anywhere from April to June and still be an early applicant.
It takes around a month to get your MCAT scores back. You just need to make sure you have time to study for it ~3 month in advance.

If you can, try to finish all prerequisites plus whatever else courses you think will help you on MCAT before Spring of junior year as that's when you would be studying for MCAT.