When to take practice MCAT tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mavs88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am taking a Jan 2015 exam and have planned my studying as such:

I have been/will review all 8 BR subject books (no verbal) & do the passages through this semester aka the next 11 weeks. I will do a TPR verbal book in the week after that.

Then during winter break I will work exclusively on EK 1001/101 verbal books for all the subjects.

I have purchased all of the AAMC FL exams....but am not exactly sure when to take them? Should it be AFTER all my BR content review? Take a couple every week while doing the EK1001 series?

I'm just not sure what good using a practice test will be until I am done reviewing...but then again all the EK1001 and the AAMC FL may be a lot in 1 month?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely after content review. You'll be able to assess your weak areas better.

Reactions: 1 user
After content review. Don't waste your AAMC FLs.

Sure it's frustrating to not know whether you have made progress but you just gotta trust yourself that you are making progress (even if you can't actually see it until you take AAMC FLs).

Read my passage. Are AAMC FLs the AAMC practice tests? What does FL stand for? You want to take the practice tests so you have time for adjustments. A major thing to learn from the practice tests is how to interpret the so called esoteric passages on the fly. For this you need to have sufficent knowledge of the subject matter so that you can readily recognize the fundamental science disguised in the esoteric passage. An AAMC practice test example is the seiches passage in one of the later practice tests (number 10 or 11 I believe).
The passage is tractable once you recognize its a wave passage. You want to accomplish understanding of the esoteric passages early enough to adjust your subject matter review.

I suggest the Khan Academy MCAT section to supplement your subject review. It is produced in conjunction with AAMC. It recently almost doubled the number of subject sections to accomodate the expanded MCAT. The Physical Processes section (the only section I study) has been expanding recently and now covers more of the topics on the current PS section. I have taken the physics portion of the PS sections of all the AAMC practice tests and do not recall at topic not covered by Khan Academy MCAT Physical Processes section. Its good, easy and free learning.

I recommend TBR. I don't know TPR. I have some accuracy issues with EK in one of their simple harmonic motion problem sections.

Good luck in your preparation. Keep me apprised of your progress.