When to take the DAT? Advice, please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

packerland

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers! When is the best time to take the DAT? I am currently enrolled full time, but I also have been already preparing for the DAT a few hours a week (going to start amping it up to a couple days a week during the semester, then long days/weeks in May after finals) - and I was thinking of taking the DAT in late May. How many weeks did it take for your DAT to get sent out? I've heard between 2-6 weeks. I want to be within the first batch or two, ideally. Would love and appreciate all of your advice!Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First batch is last week of June and a new batch is mailed each Friday after that, your application will be mailed out regardless of DAT scores. Scores usually take 2-3 weeks so you could afford a June test date and have application go out 1st batch and scores go out 2nd batch.

As long as you submit everything by June or July, you are still considered early. Once you get into August and September you are running a bit late, but even then, with a strong GPA and DAT you should still be able to get several interviews.

Having everything in for the very first batches is probably one of the most overrated things to worry about. As long as you take your DAT before mid-July, you will get early interviews. I took my DAT July 6th, had everything else in and submitted by the first batch (end of June), and received first week interviews from my top choices. Take it when you're comfortable and have time to really focus on studying. If that's in June or early July, it won't hurt you one bit.