When to take time off for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronin786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing as the posters here have proven immensely helpful in the past, I'd really appreciate your input on my situation.

I'm getting set to apply to programs, and I'm trying to figure out a way to get time off. Problem is I'm a student at an overseas school, and its not going to be easy to fly back and forth.

I was wondering what you guys might think is the best option, should I ask to take 2 weeks off in the Nov/Dec overlap and then another 2 weeks off in January, or would it be better to try and take 1 full month off in the Nov/Dec and try and fit any interviews there?

Benefits that I can think of for the former option would be more flexibility in scheduling interviews and a higher chance of the dean accepting my request(s) for time off. On the other hand, the second option means 1 less plane ticket and I don't know how willing programs are to interview in January.

Also for each option, what would be the optimal time to take off, seeing as I have to ask in advance and can't wait for invites to roll in and decide then.

If anybody has any better ideas then I'm all ears, and thanks a lot in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing as the posters here have proven immensely helpful in the past, I'd really appreciate your input on my situation.

I'm getting set to apply to programs, and I'm trying to figure out a way to get time off. Problem is I'm a student at an overseas school, and its not going to be easy to fly back and forth.

I was wondering what you guys might think is the best option, should I ask to take 2 weeks off in the Nov/Dec overlap and then another 2 weeks off in January, or would it be better to try and take 1 full month off in the Nov/Dec and try and fit any interviews there?

Benefits that I can think of for the former option would be more flexibility in scheduling interviews and a higher chance of the dean accepting my request(s) for time off. On the other hand, the second option means 1 less plane ticket and I don't know how willing programs are to interview in January.

Also for each option, what would be the optimal time to take off, seeing as I have to ask in advance and can't wait for invites to roll in and decide then.

If anybody has any better ideas then I'm all ears, and thanks a lot in advance.

It doesn't matter. More interviews in January than November actually. I'd try to do 2 weeks at the beginning of Dec and 2 weeks in mid-Jan if you can pull it off.

Applications aren't sent out till next Sunday. I'm just trying to get a gauge on what I can fit in, especially because I also have to apply to preliminary programs.

Are you doing any rotations in the states? Do some during rotations

Also depends somewhat on what specialty you're applying to. When I applied in Derm, I had the bulk of my interviews in January (when many of my classmates were already finishing up the end of their interview season by early January).