When to transfer from cc to university ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braziliangirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I am finishing my first year at my local community college. I started there because it had been many years since I was in school and thought that medical school was impossible for me. After doing an amazing job and overcoming all my expectations, I changed my mind and now I want to try to get into medical school. I talked to my advisor at the college and she was very supportive but she recommended that I finished my associates and then transfer to the local university. All my credits would be transferable and would count to my degree either way, but the class size really makes me want to stay at the college, since I think I have more one a one support at my cc, and the cost of the school is very important to me as well. Another reason I think about staying at my cc is because they have many contacts to provide scholarships for students to transfer to a 4-year college and I would be a good candidate. Although I am comfortable where I am, I have the feeling I am not in the right place to get to my goals.

Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like a lot of signs point towards staying at a CC.

I stayed for 2 years at one and am finishing up at a 4-year school. I can't really say I regret my decision.

Reactions: 2 users
2 years at CC, 2 years at university. I did the same as above poster, couldn't be happier with my decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. As long as you take most (or preferably all) major pre-reqs like physio and O-chem at the 4 year school and keep a solid GPA most med schools won't care about how long you were at a CC. If you have strong support there, can save major money, and can keep being successful in your classes then I'd stay put for another year.

I took all of my pre reqs at a cc except for ochem and I had a great cycle. As long as you keep a good GPA and do well on the MCAT then most schools will not care. Don't transfer earlier than you should just out of fear of being looked down on.

Posted using SDN Mobile