When to use Case files?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aclamity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm just about to start 3rd year and am sorting through the books I'm planning to use. Just wondering when people recommend using casefiles for each rotation. Is it better utilized at the beginning (before reading other sources e.g. Step-Up, Blueprints, etc), or later on after covering these other resources? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I liked to use casefiles as a way to get introduced to material, so I would say at the beginning of a rotation.

Agreed, I would typically burn through casefiles first, synthesize with USMLEWorld, and then move on to whatever other resource I was using.

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked to use casefiles as a way to get introduced to material, so I would say at the beginning of a rotation.

Agreed, I would typically burn through casefiles first, synthesize with USMLEWorld, and then move on to whatever other resource I was using.

thanks guys, that sounds like a good way to use them. The newest editions of a lot of case files came out in 2012.. does anyone know if the cases change significantly from the previous (2008 or 2009) versions?

Note: not all case files are created equally. I think FM was the best, ob/gyn was ok. I remember thinking one was worthless, but I don't know which one.

Note: not all case files are created equally. I think FM was the best, ob/gyn was ok. I remember thinking one was worthless, but I don't know which one.

Family Med = OBGYN > Surgery = Neurology = IM > Psychiatry = Peds

In my opinion. I read them all and don't regret reading any of them, but some were definitely more useful on the boards than others.

Family Med = OBGYN > Surgery = Neurology = IM > Psychiatry = Peds

In my opinion. I read them all and don't regret reading any of them, but some were definitely more useful on the boards than others.

Thanks. I know CF isn't the best prep for shelf, but I'm mostly planning to use it as a way to get myself into the mindset of the rotation, jog my rusted memory, get an overview of the various cases so that I have a foundation to build on, and not look like an idiot when pimped. Do you think they serve this purpose, and does this ranking still apply in that case?