When to void the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artist27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So from what I've seen, post-exam feelings are never usually an accurate indication of how one actually ends up performing on the mcat. With that in mind, should voiding be only reserved for extreme cases (power outage, throwing up on the proctor, passing out, etc.)?
Reason I'm asking: I suspect by the time I apply I'm going to have ~3.45 cgpa. Obviously, I need a fairly high MCAT score to make up for this. I am planning on applying to DO and low tier MD schools, but what score is "enough" so to speak to offset my gpa? My highest practice score has been a 512 (aamc scored and NS1). Even if I end up scoring this on the real deal, is that even a high enough score? I was hoping for a little higher, but if I don't feel that the mcat went particularly well, should I void?
Btw, my exam is in two days :D

Members don't see this ad.

i personally would void if i ran out of time in a section and didn't finish it. Other than that, nah I wouldn't void. Chances are if you thought you got killed by the exam, others did too and there will be a very nice curve

Reactions: 1 user
I would only void if you literally ran out of time and missed several passages or didn't finish a question. Got sick during the test etc. I wanted to void my 5/20 MCAT because I flat out guessed on 3 C/P passages and marked 35 and 2 B/B passages and marked 25 and had an anxiety attack in CARS. I still did better than my scored exam score. I would score it especially if you don't have multiple MCAT scores. If you have to retake so be it but at least you know where you stand. My goal is a 520 and I knew I wouldn't get it on that first test but still taking it and scoring a 509 allowed me to relax and know going into my second MCAT I would still get into medical school. DONT VOID, lol. I've also heard of guys running out of time in C/P and guessing on the last 2 questions getting 129s.