When would I enter medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KO5590

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated Spring 2013. When would I apply for med school? When would I take the MCAT? and when would I start med school if I were accepted?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated Spring 2013. When would I apply for med school? When would I take the MCAT? and when would I start med school if I were accepted?

Thanks!

The earliest you could enter would be Fall 2013. That would mean you send in your primary Summer 2012, secondaries fall 2012, interview fall, winter, and spring 2013, and matriculate fall 2013.

You should take the MCAT by June or July 2012 AT THE LATEST. I would recommend an April 2012 date so that you can retake in June if necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have taken all the prereqs for premed and if you are good at science, you could also try taking it earlier. If you don't have any plans for this summer or if you do, but can invest a significant amount of time in studying, you could possibly try the mcat this year. I studied for it last year and I used my free time in the summer to study for the mcat with a test date in early september. I liked it because it didn't conflict with other classes so I didn't have to be memorizing for midterms and finals while also preparing for the MCAT. Then again, if you have a lot of science courses, a lot of the material might overlap and it could be a good thing. Since June is close to being over and the last mcat date is September 10th, that probably isn't enough time but if you start now, you could try taking the mcat in January with a refresher during your winter break.

Planning ahead is key, make sure you know all the steps by the time you are ready to start your application. It takes longer than you would think.

I graduate Spring 2013. When would I apply for med school? When would I take the MCAT? and when would I start med school if I were accepted?

Thanks!

Assuming you mean "graduate", if you want to enter med school straight out of college you would take your MCAT no later than spring of 2012. If you apply for the 2012-2013 app cycle you would begin med school in July or August of 2013.

Remember, you can take a year or two off if you'd like....many people actually recommend it. :thumbup:

The earliest you could enter would be Fall 2013. That would mean you send in your primary Summer 2012, secondaries fall 2012, interview fall, winter, and spring 2013, and matriculate fall 2013.

You should take the MCAT by June or July 2012 AT THE LATEST. I would recommend an April 2012 date so that you can retake in June if necessary.

What do you mean by send your primary Summer 2012 and Secondaries Fall 2012?

I will be taking Bio 2 and Physics 2 Summer 2012. And still need to take O-chem 1 and 2 my senior year...Will I have any hope of getting in, knowing that?

What do you mean by send your primary Summer 2012 and Secondaries Fall 2012?

I will be taking Bio 2 and Physics 2 Summer 2012. And still need to take O-chem 1 and 2 my senior year...Will I have any hope of getting in, knowing that?

You don't want to take the MCAT without first taking the prereqs (although some people have done well when they still hadn't taken Orgo 2 (the least important of the prereqs for the MCAT)).

In your case I would take the April 2013 MCAT and apply summer 2013 for entrance fall 2014. Or if you want you can take an entire year or two off doing TFA or AmeriCorp or research or something and then apply. What are your EC's like?

You don't want to take the MCAT without first taking the prereqs (although some people have done well when they still hadn't taken Orgo 2 (the least important of the prereqs for the MCAT)).

In your case I would take the April 2013 MCAT and apply summer 2013 for entrance fall 2014. Or if you want you can take an entire year or two off doing TFA or AmeriCorp or research or something and then apply. What are your EC's like?

Basically nothing. Working on getting volunteer and shadowing experience now. I'm a 5 year undergraduate grad because I transferred from a cc, and am super eager to go straight in. Pretty devastating news to have to take a year off to get in...

Basically nothing. Working on getting volunteer and shadowing experience now. I'm a 5 year undergraduate grad because I transferred from a cc, and am super eager to go straight in. Pretty devastating news to have to take a year off to get in...

Why?

In any case, you should have most of your pre-reqs done at the time of your MCAT. I was taking physics at the time, and I struggled for a 10 in that section (Gen Chem was also 3years old for me). Give yourself enough time to get all A's and B's (mostly A's) in your prereqs. I rushed and regretted it. There is no time limit. Take your time, develop extracurricular interests, and hit 30+ on the MCAT (hopefully all double-digit scores). If you have to apply when you graduate and that results in a year off then so be it. That is up to you though.

Without ECs you wouldn't get in anyways. It's not like you have a choice.

are you from the future?

:laugh:

You will enter medical school in the summer after you apply. You will apply after you take the MCAT and get some ECs under your belt. You will take the MCAT after you finish your pre-reqs.