When you apply to Harvard's residency, you keep the name "Harvard" or the MGH name?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tony MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mean, when you apply to Harvard, you receive a certificate from HARVARD or from Massachusetts General Hospital?
'Cause I know that Derm and plastics do actually keep the name Harvard in the program name, but seems that isn't for every specialty.
If someone apply to Harvard in Cardiology for example, the program will be from Harvard or MGH? I mean, I know MGH and others are affiliated to Harvard but anyway, I want to know if it is possible to really do residency in Harvard with the name Harvard.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I know. that's exactly why I want to know sir...
So now I'm confused. You agree with Southern Surgeon but still ask?
I beg to ask how many times physicians tell patients where they went to when they talk to them.
I went to MGH.
Womp womp. Not Harvard, see ya later!

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, when you apply to Harvard, you receive a certificate from HARVARD or from Massachusetts General Hospital?
'Cause I know that Derm and plastics do actually keep the name Harvard in the program name, but seems that isn't for every specialty.
If someone apply to Harvard in Cardiology for example, the program will be from Harvard or MGH? I mean, I know MGH and others are affiliated to Harvard but anyway, I want to know if it is possible to really do residency in Harvard with the name Harvard.

There are "Harvard" combined programs in Dermatology, Plastics, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, ENT, RadOnc, and PM&R. Many of the fellowships are combined, particularly in Internal Medicine. There are also numerous residencies which combine multiple Harvard hospitals and may or may not have the name "Harvard" in their program name (eg. Harvard Longwood Psychiatry, Harvard Longwood Urology, Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency, Harvard/Partners Neurology...) However, all of these programs have a primary sponsor hospital, and I imagine that is where the residency completion certificate comes from. For example, RadOnc is sponsored by BWH.

Most people use the NRMP name of the program at the time they matched as the name of their residency on their CVs going forward. Remember, hospital names/affiliations change over time.

As an aside, there is no "Harvard Cardiology" fellowship.

Man's greatest hospital is overhyped to the extreme. Really only has mid tier quality programs across the board.

Disclaimer: they rejected me and that totes has nothing to do with the above statements. TOTES

Reactions: 1 users
Man's greatest hospital is overhyped to the extreme. Really only has mid tier quality programs across the board.

Disclaimer: they rejected me and that totes has nothing to do with the above statements. TOTES

BWH now too day after I make that post. Those are some cheeky *****

So now I'm confused. You agree with Southern Surgeon but still ask?
I beg to ask how many times physicians tell patients where they went to when they talk to them.
I went to MGH.
Womp womp. Not Harvard, see ya later!

I shouldn't, but do, use training locations as somewhat of a caliber of judgment when I'm referring patients to someone I don't know. That said, I don't care what your CV says if you're an dingus. You're on the DNR (Do not refer) list.

I shouldn't, but do, use training locations as somewhat of a caliber of judgment when I'm referring patients to someone I don't know. That said, I don't care what your CV says if you're an dingus. You're on the DNR (Do not refer) list.
Sorry,
I agree with what you're saying. I don't think it's wrong to do it like you phrase it. I was more talking about people expecting that either not going to X residency ruins you or going to X residency means you're auto-awesome. Which is similar to your response lol

Sorry,
I agree with what you're saying. I don't think it's wrong to do it like you phrase it. I was more talking about people expecting that either not going to X residency ruins you or going to X residency means you're auto-awesome. Which is similar to your response lol

I wasn't being confrontational, just using your post as a catalyst :)

The ones I have seen usually say both the place you trained and the affiliated institution. Big letters that say MASS GENERAL with a Harvard logo below and a description of the training you completed. Probably varies based on institution though. Regardless, this is stupid. Saying Harvard only impresses people that have no idea wtf you're talking about, as Harvard has a lot of far less prestigious programs they operate outside of MGH.

Reactions: 1 users