when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entropy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i screamed off the top of my lungs : )

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I became "cheesy kind of a guy"...emotional(about 5 tears)....then drunk beer and partied like an animal to eliminate that emotional crap feeling. I guess you know what i mean

My first acceptance was from one of my safety schools. Nevertheless, I fell to my knees and humbled myself before the universe in thanks.

When I got into one of the schools I was really excited about I was in the library at my school. My gf called and told me I had a letter from this school. I'm all like "open it! open it!" When she read the good part I jumped up on a table and did one of those Micheal Jordan type jumps while yelling really loud. My former anatomy T.A. that I had been talking to thought I was nuts. A few minutes later, a security guard came up to me asking me if I had heard some kind of commotion. I explained to him what had gone down, and he was relieved. Then, a woman comes out of the rest room. It turns out that she had been hiding in a stall, waiting for the cop. Both of us were pretty embarassed.

• Haha
Reactions: 28 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was on my way to the library to do some late night studying when I decided to check my mail - when I got the thick envelope I turned around, called my study buddy to say I wasn't coming, and promptly went to sleep.

I think I remained happily in the "No homework for me now!" for several days. I can't really be sure, all that napping has sort of made things a blur.

Reactions: 4 users
Originally posted by loyen
I got the thick envelope

Isn't that kind of a give away? Skinny evelope = no Thick envelope = yes

Is that the norm? Can I start getting excited if I get a thick envelope? :D

Reactions: 1 user
Thick envelopes are almost always for acceptances. But, a few schools do send acceptances in thin envelopes, UConn for example. You can do a search if you want to know about the other schools that do.

Now the reaction to acceptance question. I literally became a little kid. I screamed, yelled, jumped, danced, called everyone I knew, then got very quiet in 5 minutes, sat down, and thought about what it all meant. I couldn't cry though...I tried

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I just got in 15 minutes ago! And yeah, Wake Forest is one of those that sends a skinny little envelope with one piece of paper inside. But what's written on the paper is what really counts!!!

I screamed and started jumping up and down. :) I still kinda am.

Reactions: 3 users
congratulations :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

after I got the call I called my fiance. As soon as she picked up, I just started talking. She said in a really tired voice "that's great honey I'm going back to bed goodnight" with absolutely no emotion. She was really tired, and was confident that I would get in. I guess it's nice to have somebody who really believes in your, but geez, what a reaction. I still laugh about it.

After calling her I called my mom, dad, my fiance's family, my only living grandparent, and my only living great grandparent. Then I met two co-workers at a pub (I was headed over there when I got the call on my cell), and they bought me a beer :)
Lab meeting the next morning was great :)

mgw519-

If you just got into med school a little while ago, then what teh hell are you doing sitting in front of a computer typing on SDN?? Dude, learn to celebrate.

I drove to the post office to pick it up - I got a notice in my mailbox because I wasn't home to sign for it. Opening the envelope was pure adrenaline. For one minute I was the happiest man alive. Then I called my girlfriend (of 1+ year) who skipped the "being excited for someone" day at school. The same thing happened when I got the results from my third MCAT which I worked sooooo hard for and improved by 6 points. I talked with her later and she said she doesn't want to follow me to medical school and she couldn't deal with a long-term relationship. At least she waited til I had good news to soften the blow! So I got drunk with my friends and decided I'll get by - I hear some girls go for that single future doctor type.

Happiest news of my life and couldn't be more sad. C'est la vie.

but hey...the Red Sox are doing well!!!!!! Congrats mgw !!!!:clap:

adcadet - I just read your post...strikingly similar. i feel that. guess only other applicants can really understand how hard this process is and what it means to get accepted - no matter how confident we are about our chances. congrats!!

Members don't see this ad :)
well...

KU mailed all of theirs during my spring break... so finally i broke down and called them

the lady wasnt there so i left a message went to go take a shower

of course...she get's back to me as im sudsing up my hair so i rush out answer the phone...give her some critical security info..then she nonchalantly states.. congratulations you are part of the 2003 entering class...

i start getting excited and all..but realize i cant celebrate without losing my towel...so i hop back in...

didnt end up getting much sleep that night either...kept thinking bout how i finally succeeded and all

Originally posted by Quagmire, M.D.
mgw519-

If you just got into med school a little while ago, then what teh hell are you doing sitting in front of a computer typing on SDN?? Dude, learn to celebrate.

Actually, Quagmire, I was e-mailing all my friends and family to tell them the news, if you must know, and now I'm reading their congrats... But thanks for the advice. :rolleyes:

I burst into tears. And then my dad cried too. Emotional scene. Then I was scared $hitless for a while. Still am. And excited. congrats mgw519 :clap:

dude - mgw is the coolest partier around, and I am sad we wont be able to chill together in philly

jmwalker

Originally posted by goredsox
adcadet - I just read your post...strikingly similar. i feel that. guess only other applicants can really understand how hard this process is and what it means to get accepted - no matter how confident we are about our chances. congrats!!

As close as my fiance and I are, there are things in this whole medical education journey I'm on which I doubt she'll ever even begin to understand. Oh well.

This is a really interesting thread. I just wanted to say, Congratulations to all of you! Reading about your reactions seriously gives me a slap of sweet reality...IF it ever becomes a reality for me.
Don't you have anything better to do than to sit in front of a computer typing on SDN to insult people?

Once again all of you, CONGRATULATIONS!:clap:

I saw the thick envelope, ripped it open to read it, and started to cry. Then I called my mom and blubbered to her the good news.

Raced up the five flights of my apartment building and called all my friends. The first three couldn't understand me because I was out of breath. They just heard...north......western.....and I sounded happy. They got it.

i bet that you all will be just as excited and giddy 30 years from now when you are the nation's best doctors. that's what will keep you the best.

congratulations, again.

I was at work and I got a message that my fiance called. He never calls me at work. Being who I am, I immediately started worrying that someone had died. When I called him back, told me that Ms. X from School Y had called and left a message. Hardly able to contain myself, I called her back. She was in a meeting. So I called back again half an hour later. In another meeting. I'm not sure who eventually got through, but in the final analysis, she congratulated me, and I thanked her profusely.
I get giggly when I'm really happy, the kind of giggly that creates an unerasable smile even if there are no sounds coming out. So, with my crow-eating grin, I turned to my co-worker and said, "I got in!" and then went back to work.
I told my boss about it when I saw him in the hall. At that point, he started treating me a little differently, like I had become a part of an elite club. It was a strange shift, but it sort of made me understand what I'm getting myself into ;)

i came back from an interview and opened a rejection letter that was on my desk. the next thing i did was check my email and booyah my first acceptance. i told the folks and we laughed and danced :)

After feeling sick to my stomach with nervousness for how many months, racing home everyday to check my mail, and getting nightmares where I received letters containing a single sheet of paper printed with a single large, red, bolded word: "REJECTED," I finally came home one day to a large envelope.

Still holding onto some skepticism (maybe it was a really big rejection poster), but my heart pounding, I ripped open the envelope. I read the word, "Congratulations," and then proceeded to scream my head off and jump up and down like a maniac for 10 minutes. I giddily called a bunch of people (made my stoic dad cry!), and basked in a sense of liberation -- I was in, and this painful, painful process called "Applying To Medical School" was, for the most part, done!

I broke the seal on a fifth of J.D. single barrel (which i had been saving for months), poured my roomate and myself a stiff bourbon on the rocks, and we chilled to a live version of
Counting Crows- Mr. Jones.

The perfect ending to a not so perfect process.

wow, you guys had a lot more fun than i did.

i got my first acceptance via email at work. i forwarded the email to my mom and dad and that was about it. i think i also wrote an email to my premed advisor to thank him for his help in the process. no celebration, not much of anything. i actually forgot to tell any of my coworkers. i mentioned something about it six months later and they were a little offended that i hadn't even bothered to share the news with them.

listening to your stories, now i sorta wish i had celebrated a little!

for another comment, not all thick envelopes are acceptances. my first choice school sent me a waitlist in a big envelope.

I didn't even really have time to celebrate when I first found out. I was rushing home after a hectic day to get my bags packed and drive over to my folks' house, because they were going to drive me to the airport the next morning to fly out for another round of interviews. I ripped open the package, felt really really happy and relieved, and then forgot about it because I had twenty minutes to pack. It wasn't until the next morning, when I had to wake up at 5:30 for my plane, that I thought to myself, "Wait a minute, I'm in, why the hell am I going?" :D

man, i cannot wait to actually answer this thread. congrats to everyone who made it!!

i interviewed at my top choice 12/11. i had about 5 interviews scheduled for feb-march, so around 1/10 i decide to be that nagging guy and call the admissions office. i explained how i really didn't have the cash to travel and pay for hotels, etc. and i wondered if i would go before the committee anytime soon, or should i just bite the bullet and make reservations.

i was expecting instantaneous flames, when low and behold, the person says, "I understand how expensive this process can be. Why don't you call ME back on Tues (it was friday), the commitee meets on monday, you MAY be in that group. I'm not making any promises, but it generally takes about a month to review an interviewee so this is about when you'd be considered."

I think, that's cool. Better than the "Get a life" line i was expecting. Tues. arrives, i get to work very early ~7:30. I figure i'll wait until 10am or so, let that person have coffee, etc. At 8:30 i get a call from my grandmom, "so-and-so called from UofMD, call back."

I called right back, from the phone receiver,

"i've got good news..."

needless to say, many of my coworkers at the NIH were very surprised to hear shouts of joy from my lab. the person from the admissions office laughed hysterically,

since i asked them to hold for a minute to start yelling.

I live in Texas and everyone who applies to one of the Texas schools finds out on the same date (February 1st). I had been dating my girlfriend for nearly 5 years (we met in 2nd grade, were friends for years, began dating in High School, and have been at different colleges and 4 hours apart for the past 4 years), and thought I would make the date even more special by asking her to marry me! We met in our hometown, and went out to an awesome restaurant, then I blindfolded her and took her to the spot we first kissed and I told her all kinds of mushy things and proposed to her. We finally went home and checked the internet to find out I got into the school we were both hoping for. That night I got the two things I had been praying for most, and could not have felt anymore blessed!

Reactions: 8 users
I did the similar 5-year old reaction: yelling, crying, dancing around, and calling everyone I knew. Then I sat down and kept saying out loud, "I can't believe I'm going to be a doctor." To this day, I still need to remind myself of that fact. Congrats to everyone. WE ARE THE FUTURE DOCTORS OF AMERICA. :clap:

I'm curious if anybody else has had this happening to them occasionally:

So, as you saw from my earlier post, my celebration after my acceptance wasn't all that exciting. But every now and then, almost out of the blue, I'll get this really warm, giddy feeling, realizing that I'm going to medical school, and I can't help but grin. This usually happens while driving home. It must scare the daylights out of other drivers to see this me grinning like the Joker!

Originally posted by UTH2003
I live in Texas and everyone who applies to one of the Texas schools finds out on the same date (February 1st). I had been dating my girlfriend for nearly 5 years (we met in 2nd grade, were friends for years, began dating in High School, and have been at different colleges and 4 hours apart for the past 4 years), and thought I would make the date even more special by asking her to marry me! We met in our hometown, and went out to an awesome restaurant, then I blindfolded her and took her to the spot we first kissed and I told her all kinds of mushy things and proposed to her. We finally went home and checked the internet to find out I got into the school we were both hoping for. That night I got the two things I had been praying for most, and could not have felt anymore blessed!

Congrats! That's a great story. :clap: :clap: :clap:

so as someone mentioned before, in Texas, our match occurs at midnight on February 1st. I had tickets to see one of my most favorite bands in the world that night, Coldplay, in my hometown (dallas). so i drove up from college station to dallas with my three best friends and we went to see the show. i was incredibly nervous because i knew at midnight the match would appear online. i knew Coldplay would end before midnight, but it was rumored that the match sometimes occurs before 12, so i gave my mom and sister my password and figured they would keep tabs on it. i go to the show (which was one of the best concerts i've ever been to...tenth row seats!) and Coldplay ends their set, makes their bows, and trots offstage. i notice my cell phone is blinking...a message is waiting for me...I check my messages and it's my sister yelling that I got into my first choice school! so here i am in this huge auditorium, people are leaving their seats and the roadies are cleaning up the stage and i just start bawling like a big dumb baby in my chair, shaking and all. my friends are all up by the stage to try and steal a playlist or two. they turn around and see me crying and freak out when i tell them the news and we're all jumping around like children with the old haggard roadies giving us weird looks. i'd like to say that chris martin, the lead singer of coldplay, hears all the commotion and comes out and congratulates me (while kissing my cheek and whispering sweet nothings to me with that suave british accent), but he was probably backstage drinking tonic water or something.

i was in that weird little group of non-EDP people who nonetheless interviewed at umich super early (like the 1st week of september) and was accepted at midnight on oct 15th ... i was sitting at home, refreshing my email, refreshing my email, refreshing my email. then it came through. i whooped a bit and jumped a bit, but there was nobody with whom i could share my excitement, as everyone i knew was asleep and wouldn't be too keen on being woken up... so i just emailed everyone and then i went to bed. not too exciting.

but, like adcadet, i sometimes get all warm and freaked out and giddy and scared and WOW out of the blue. grinning like a mad fool, realizing what is ahead of me.

No joke, my parents and I locked arms in a sort-of huddle formation and dropped the still-unopened envelope on the floor in the middle, where the quarterback would be kneeling. We then proceeded to dance around it in a circle, yelling and stomping on it multiple times to scare off the evil eye and other bad things. After we were satisfied, I picked up the dirty, trodden-on envelope and opened it up to read my acceptance aloud to them :)

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
i dug out my old jambox and threw in my 45 king "900 number" tape and started doing the ed lover dance. WHUT!!

I didn't scream, but gave a HUGE sigh of relief that was heard around the world.
Man, it was tough waiting.

i went out and screwed few girls...using my new pick up line "I got in to med school by the way...."

I was sitting in an internet cafe in Strasbourg (France), when I got the email from my mom that I'd been accepted at Dartmouth.

I sat there in that little bar and cried for a good ten minutes! My significant other gave me a hug and I cried even more. All these french were sitting there staring at me so we left and went out to drink some champagne. . . . . . . . how 'bout a LOT of champagne?

The most important thing that happened, though, was the change in my mind. I no longer thought "I'm trying to get into medical school." For the first time it became a sure thing that I am going to become a doctor.

:)

I got really smashed, the rest of the night was a blur, but it was honestly the best hangover that I ever had in my life, I had a smile on my face.... well.... until I walked into anatomy lab, and then the drinking was for a whole other reason:)

i felt as if a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders because i no longer had to wonder IF i was going to be a doctor. it's a great feeling :D

I'm finishing up Paramedic school right now. I was doing an 8 hour shift in the ER for clinicals. I had just gotten there when my cell phone rang. It was the dean from the University of Tennessee saying, "Matt, I have a spot for you. Congratulations." A grin spread from ear to ear. I didn't react too much until I got off the phone with him. I just started running around yelling and screaming. It was awesome. Needless to say, I left clinicals early that day. I bought myself a huge steak for dinner and enjoyed every bite. Matter of fact, it has been a week and I still have that grin.

Matt
University of Tennessee Medical School Class of '07

I had just gotten back from my very last interview and my gf picked me up from the airport. we went home and I was trying to tell her about my trip and she really wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to me and she slipped away into the bedroom. Well i followed her in there and kept trying to talk to her but she was totally not listening and staring over at my desk, so I looked over and saw a fat envelope sitting there. immediately i knew it was pretty much an acceptance letter. it took me forever to open it, i think i was in shock. afiter about 5 minutes I opened it and she brought out some balloons tied to oversize Hershey bars, (Penn State is in Hershey). then she cried I called my mom and she cried too, it was cool. i was happy, but it took awhile to sink in.

Some random Tuesday night, my mom calls and at the END of our conversation she mentions that I'd gotten something from Maryland, so I shrug and tell her to open it (it was a thin envelope). Silence...then my father gets on the phone and starts reading except after the first sentence, I was pretty much on my knees crying and didn't hear the rest of the letter. Then I hung up, hugged my roommate and screamed, and then we dropped everything and went out to get a drink like we'd said we'd do if I got an acceptance letter or she got a job!!! She got a job just 3 weeks after this news so we had another round of celebration!

...................................:clap: :clap: :hardy: :hardy:

I was taking a take home exam at home. I went to go check my mailbox and saw a thick envelope from my state school. I opened it up and read the first sentence....It is a pleasure to inform you. Thats all I read and ran upstairs screaming. I took a shot of tequilla and finished my take home exam pretty quickly. (I dont think I did well on it). But I kept saying Im a M1. Still cant believe it. After going through this process 3x, to finally see the letter is amazing. It couldnt have come at a better time, bc my sister was graduating from law school the following day so my parents were in town and I would have had to deal with what are you going to do next yr if you dont get in. So it was a good wkend for both of us!

I got home from work and was going through the mail and I noticed I got a big white envelope. I thought it was some advertisement crap because I had gotten some of those before. My mom and my sister already knew I got in because the envelope was transparent and they could read "Congratulations." They decided not to tell me anything when I got home. After I threw the envelope on the floor I noticed that the return address had a picture of a building on it so I picked it up and saw it was from NYMC. I went numb and I tore the envelope faster that I thought possible and I read the first word, "Congratulations" and I went absolutely nuts. My mom was watching me the whole time next to me and we hugged for the longest time.

it was one of the happiest moments in my life .............:clap: :clap:

I knew that GWU would call if I got off of the waitlist. I found a message on my answering machine for me to call them back. I told my family, "Oh, my! I think I just got in!" It took me a few minutes to compose myself and I called them back. I got an answering machine. I paced the floor and waited rather impatiently for them to call me back, all the while thinking that maybe they were just wanting some information from me about something else, etc., etc. Basically, I had just convinced myself that this wasn't an acceptance when I finally got THE CALL! I very calmly thanked the woman for the acceptance and told her that I was still interested. After I hung up, I ran through the house screaming "I am going to be a doctor!" I was sooooo excited!