when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When the dean called, I listened long enough to know I was in, then I said "Can you hold for a second, please?" he said sure. I muted the phone and screamed at the top of my lungs. Then I unmuted the phone and was professional and cordial again.

Scared my girlfriend half to death. :p

Then her and I bunny hopped around a rocking chair until she tripped on a backpack. I fell on top of her and we kept laughing.

Great memory. :)

Oh, and I also took a pic of the task I had on my phone that read "Get into med school" and another pic of the "completed" button lit up. I posted them to Facebook after cutting them into the same pic. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my first acceptance today. Look at the email, yelled YEAH! Then continued on with work. I'm just not an expressive person...

Just got my first acceptance today. Look at the email, yelled YEAH! Then continued on with work. I'm just not an expressive person...

+1. I had to go immediately to a lab group meeting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was really sad that I didn't have a bigger reaction. My friends, girlfriend, family were all acting crazy about it. I mean, I'm super pumped to get in, but I don't think it's hit me yet...

Like some of you guys and gals, I've been waiting to post in this thread for a very long time. Sorry if this drags on a bit, but I hope this can inspire someone else the same way this thread inspired me during tough times studying for the MCAT late into the night not knowing if any of my hard work of the last 6 years will pay off.

When I was on a plane leaving La Guardia airport in NYC for an interview in Chicago, I had forgotten to turn off my phone and I saw an email from a school. I thought to myself you gotta be kidding me! Now of all times? So I tried to hide the phone as best I can while trying to read the email. I skimmed the email and saw the words pleased and accepted. I was beyond ecstatic! I started to visibly shake and squeal in my seat, but luckily the passengers sitting next to me were asleep (or pretending to be as they're sitting next to what appears to be a crazy person). I quickly turned the phone off shortly after, and I had a big grin on my face the whole flight to Chicago.

Next day during the interview, I felt so relaxed and at ease, a feeling I hadn't had in years, decades even. I grew up so far on the wrong side of the tracks that I couldn't even hear the train whistle, uncertainty and danger was a daily part of life. Now, knowing my family's future is secured and that I get to do what I love and help people every day, it's a feeling I never had before and something I hope I can call upon when I'm working late into the night during rotations or residency.

I didn't tell anyone of this as I wanted to surprise them all. When I got home to New York, I had a 500 gram fireworks cake from phantom fireworks saved up when I drove through PA for another interview just for this occasion. I called my fiancee and met her in the park not telling her what had happened. As soon as I set the fireworks off she knew and we kissed while the sky was ablaze. I went to my parent's house and sat them down, when I started to smile they knew exactly why and my mom started to cry while dad kept slapping me on the back. It was especially poignant as I'm the first person in my family to go to college, and now medical school.

The next day I told everyone at work (an urgent care clinic), and all the docs congratulated me. One doc who I really look up to and wrote a rec letter for me kept saying how proud he is of me, and it really meant a lot as his bedside manner is impeccable and I would be happy to be half the doctor he is.

It was a whirlwind of a week and I've gotten a few more acceptances after that, but like many things in life, nothing comes close to the first. That initial feeling of pure unadulterated joy and affirmation made all the pain and suffering of the last 6 years seem like a bad dream.

I hope you all get to experience this, and I mean it from the bottom of my heart when I say that I wish you all the very best.

Reactions: 15 users
I was really sad that I didn't have a bigger reaction. My friends, girlfriend, family were all acting crazy about it. I mean, I'm super pumped to get in, but I don't think it's hit me yet...

Don't burden yourself with expectations of how you should react or feel. Thats probably just gonna cause an even more "undesirable" reaction. I have been enjoying the small things... I woke up this morning and didn't think about how often I was going to check for a status update.

I saw a girl who didn't get into any med school last year (who is now working at Burger King) and instead of the usual "That could be me" feeling I felt relieved (but still really sad for her...she is so smart I don't know what happened) because didn't go into a mental downward spiral about the pain/fear of possible reapplication. Savor those small thoughts... you have to be having them too :)

It was a little while ago but...

I was at work - came home to pick up a notebook I had left and the phone just happened to ring. It was my mother who had recieved a call asking if I wanted to confirm my acceptance to med school. At first I thought she was messing with me, and then when I realized she wasn't I felt like the wind was knocked out of me. Great feeling which I will hopefully remember for a long time.

I was also compulsively refreshing my e-mail, and received word 15 min before I had to go to work. No one was in the house, my parents, sibling, and uncle didn't answer the phone, so I just sort of yelled and jumped up and down for a while. Needless to say I smiled a lot during my shift, and celebrated for a couple of days afterwards.

This is the best thread on this website to leave me grinning from ear to ear, and so now I share my story to hopefully bring some smiles to others :)

On October 15th, there were a couple of schools that I was thinking I might hear back from. One, my state school, one of my top choices, and another private school that I was also a huge fan of. I was checking my email neurotically all day, hoping to hear something from one of them. Nothing. Checked SDN (of course) and saw that my state school had accepted a bunch of people. I was bummed that they apparently didn't like me as much as I liked them, especially since I interviewed on the first day they had interviews. But the private school hadn't accepted anyone. There's still hope, I thought.
I realized, though, that my level of neuroticism on the 15th had been kind of uncalled for. Went to bed that night reminding myself that everything would be ok, and that if I was meant to get accepted anywhere, it would happen. That maybe it was really not necessary to check my email on my phone every five minutes.
The next day, the first class I had was at noon. I checked my email when I woke up like I usually do, nothing. Went to get breakfast and stopped by my lab a few minutes before class. As I was walking to my lab, I started loading my email, but it was taking forever to come up. Put it back in my bag but felt it vibrate with the new email vibration almost immediately after I did that. But at that moment, one of my lab mates struck up a conversation, so I forgot about that and just chatted, and then headed over to class. 11:57 am, I pull out my phone to see the email headline "OFFER OF ACCEPTANCE..." and immediately started shaking. I was actually the only person in my classroom (super small class) but I tried to hold myself together so I wouldn't be a wreck when the other students came in. I was hoping the first person to walk in would my professor, since he is my research mentor/best friend and I really wanted to tell him. But all of the other students got there before he did, so I decided I wouldn't be able to tell him until after class.
I don't think I heard anything he said that entire class - case in point: the top of my page of notes from that day says in huge lettering "NEWSFLASH: I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!" Haha :)
After class I waited for everyone else to leave, and then I went up to my professor.
"Guess what happened five minutes before class today?"
"Did you get in?"
"YES I GOT IN I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR OH MY GOODNESS SORRY I WASN'T REALLY PAYING ATTENTION IN CLASS OH MY GOODNESS I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR"
And then I started crying but tried to hold it together cause this dude is like one of the most professional people I know so I was just like "I'm just so excited oh my gosh I'm gonna be a doctor!!!!" And he was so nice and congratulated me over and over again and it was lovely.
Then I called my dad, who was basically just like "... of course you got in, why are you excited? Did you really think you wouldn't get in anywhere?" Haha gotta love it. Called my mom to receive the kind of reaction I actually wanted "AHHHHH I HAVE TO CALL THE WHOLE FAMILY YAY WOOHOO YOU DID IT!!!!!" Left a few voicemails on my sister and best friends' phones, and then went around telling all my LOR writers. One of them gave me a huge bear hug and just completely made my day.
And then I went home and decided no homework would be done that day :)

Reactions: 4 users
This is the best thread on this website to leave me grinning from ear to ear, and so now I share my story to hopefully bring some smiles to others :)

On October 15th, there were a couple of schools that I was thinking I might hear back from. One, my state school, one of my top choices, and another private school that I was also a huge fan of. I was checking my email neurotically all day, hoping to hear something from one of them. Nothing. Checked SDN (of course) and saw that my state school had accepted a bunch of people. I was bummed that they apparently didn't like me as much as I liked them, especially since I interviewed on the first day they had interviews. But the private school hadn't accepted anyone. There's still hope, I thought.
I realized, though, that my level of neuroticism on the 15th had been kind of uncalled for. Went to bed that night reminding myself that everything would be ok, and that if I was meant to get accepted anywhere, it would happen. That maybe it was really not necessary to check my email on my phone every five minutes.
The next day, the first class I had was at noon. I checked my email when I woke up like I usually do, nothing. Went to get breakfast and stopped by my lab a few minutes before class. As I was walking to my lab, I started loading my email, but it was taking forever to come up. Put it back in my bag but felt it vibrate with the new email vibration almost immediately after I did that. But at that moment, one of my lab mates struck up a conversation, so I forgot about that and just chatted, and then headed over to class. 11:57 am, I pull out my phone to see the email headline "OFFER OF ACCEPTANCE..." and immediately started shaking. I was actually the only person in my classroom (super small class) but I tried to hold myself together so I wouldn't be a wreck when the other students came in. I was hoping the first person to walk in would my professor, since he is my research mentor/best friend and I really wanted to tell him. But all of the other students got there before he did, so I decided I wouldn't be able to tell him until after class.
I don't think I heard anything he said that entire class - case in point: the top of my page of notes from that day says in huge lettering "NEWSFLASH: I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!" Haha :)
After class I waited for everyone else to leave, and then I went up to my professor.
"Guess what happened five minutes before class today?"
"Did you get in?"
"YES I GOT IN I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR OH MY GOODNESS SORRY I WASN'T REALLY PAYING ATTENTION IN CLASS OH MY GOODNESS I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR"
And then I started crying but tried to hold it together cause this dude is like one of the most professional people I know so I was just like "I'm just so excited oh my gosh I'm gonna be a doctor!!!!" And he was so nice and congratulated me over and over again and it was lovely.
Then I called my dad, who was basically just like "... of course you got in, why are you excited? Did you really think you wouldn't get in anywhere?" Haha gotta love it. Called my mom to receive the kind of reaction I actually wanted "AHHHHH I HAVE TO CALL THE WHOLE FAMILY YAY WOOHOO YOU DID IT!!!!!" Left a few voicemails on my sister and best friends' phones, and then went around telling all my LOR writers. One of them gave me a huge bear hug and just completely made my day.
And then I went home and decided no homework would be done that day :)

I almost cried reading your post. Congrats.

The Dean of Admissions called me at 11:00PM and as soon as he introduced himself I don't think I made a bit of sense. After he told me the news, I was rambling with enthusiasm and talking about how I fell in love with the school and how I had just gotten into my top choice and what a great opportunity it was and woah.....

I am now embarrassed about it and hope he won't remember it should I end up matriculating there. (Yes I love the school, but financial aid may convince me to go somewhere else, who knows?)

Reactions: 1 user
My first one was on October 30th. I was grumpy that morning because I had been edgy from checking the mail neurotically to hear from a school that still uses snail mail for acceptances. I had just taken a shower and was getting ready for work and was in my underwear. As I was reaching to skip a particularly crappy song that came on Spotify on my iPhone (part of my morning routine), my phone vibrates, dings, and an e-mail notification comes up with a subject line that says, "<insert medical school> - Congratulations!" My initial reaction was confusion. I had JUST interviewed two weeks before and was not expecting a decision from them any time soon. Of course, once it actually hit me, I proceeded to dance in my underwear for a solid 3 minutes (to finish out that crappy song).

Ps. I also received an acceptance letter from that snail mail school today. :)

I looked down at my phone and saw an unknown number. I had just called around asking for quotes about a lab reagent I was purchasing, so I went ahead and answered it as I made my way out of the quiet cubical zone of my office. A heavily accented voice -- one I distinctly remembered from my interview asked how I was doing today, that he was from <Medical School>, and if I knew why he was calling. I started shaking; I had to keep whispering because I was still walking past people working. When I replied, "hopefully some news about my application?" He said, "Well, Roehriat, I have some good news for you then, you have just been accepted to our school of medicine. Congratulations!" I rounded the last corner and put the phone as far away from my head as I could just in time before I shouted, "YESS!!!". I had to return to the call pretending like nothing, which was apparently painfully obvious to the caller because he started laughing. He asked me a few questions about how I thought the interview went (none of which I remember now).

When I hung up, my boss came around the corner, grinning, and guessed what had just occurred. She told me to get out of the office for the afternoon and go call my family. :))))

SO EXCITED TO BECOME A DOCTOR!!

Members don't see this ad :)
just started synthesis reactions in ochem, and theres times I'm so tired but I refer to this thread to keep me motivated. Also I will post oneday in this thread, but I know my reaction wont be as awesome as some in here.

Also I'm surprised at how emotional some of your parents are, kinda wish mine weere haha. When I got a 2340 on my SAT's my dad just shook my hand and set good job son. Mom said why I didn't get a 2400 lol.

Last edited:
Was driving to pick up coffee filters from Safeway and got a phone call from an unknown number. Just pulled into the parking lot, so I answered, and it was the admissions lady from my first interview. She said she wanted to congratulate me/offer an acceptance, yada yada (I don't remember any of the conversation), but
all I did was keep yelling at the other person to make sure it wasn't a prank that my friends were playing on me. Then started to scream and cry/dance in the parking lot for 20 minutes while random people walking past my car looked in like I was crazy. :D

I was quite stoned when I found out. I think my jaw dropped when I got the email and I just sat there feeling so happy for like 20 minutes.

Reactions: 5 users
Teared up a little bit while eating inside of Wendy's... :thumbup:

I was in Vegas when I got the call. I was standing in H&M trying not to think about applications when my phone rang. I went outside, answered it and sure enough it was the call I had been waiting for. I surprisingly held it together while on the phone and then immediately started crying.

I told my mom first and she started crying. Then I told my dad and he said "....okay."

Geez thanks dad.

So I kind of have an update...

My dad works as a maximum security prison guard, and 3 weeks ago he was brutally assaulted by an inmate with a history of murder and assaulting peace officers. My dad fought for his life and his partner was also injured. My father subdued the inmate shortly before passing out from his injures. He had to be taken to a major hospital 2.5 hours away to have major facial reconstruction surgery. He's alright now.

Now the kicker is that I did not know about this 3-week-old assault until last week... when my parents told me. They kept it a secret because I was right in the middle of a back-to-back-to-back slew of interviews, some of which were my top choices. They wanted me to not be so troubled during my interviews. This was also right around the time when I got my first med school acceptances.

I can only imagine the flurry of emotions my parents must have experienced. My dad told me he got my first acceptance call from me right before he underwent a second major surgery to correct his face... As I posted before, I am the first in my family to go to college, and enter medicine.

Anyway, now I get really emotional when I think about how much my parents care about me, what Hell they have to go through in life, and how thankful I am that my dad is fine! It really makes sense now to me why my dad was so unusually emotional when I told him about my first acceptance...

Last edited:
Reactions: 25 users
So I kind of have an update...

My dad works as a maximum security prison guard, and 3 weeks ago he was brutally assaulted by an inmate with a history of murder and assaulting peace officers. My dad fought for his life and his partner was also injured. My father subdued the inmate shortly before passing out from his injures. He had to be taken to a major hospital 2.5 hours away to have major facial reconstruction surgery. He's alright now.

Now the kicker is that I did not know about this 3-week-old assault until last week... when my parents told me. They kept it a secret because I was right in the middle of a back-to-back-to-back slew of interviews, some of which were my top choices. They wanted me to not be so troubled during my interviews. This was also right around the time when I got my first med school acceptances.

I can only imagine the flurry of emotions my parents must have experienced. My dad told me he got my first acceptance call from me right before he underwent a second major surgery to correct his face... As I posted before, I am the first in my family to go to college, and enter medicine.

Anyway, now I get really emotional when I think about how much my parents care about me, what Hell they have to go through in life, and how thankful I am that my dad is fine! It really makes sense now to me why my dad was so unusually emotional when I told him about my first acceptance...
Heavy duty stuff. Hang in there and a speedy recovery for your father.

Last week, i had not heard back from a single med schools after 4 interviews in early october. i obsessively checked SND everyday and saw that even people that interviewed after me had gotten accepted. one of the least competitive schools i applied to supposedly sent out acceptance letters on 11/1 through snail mail. so i obsessively checked my mailbox everyday. each time only disappointment awaited and i consoled myself by saying that tomorrow would be the day. after nine days of doing that, i was ready to break down. my friend had to take away my mailbox key to keep my sanity. i even called my Dad to discuss about backup plans. when the week started, i told myself to not check SND or think about my mailbox. i was starting to feel better. then on thursday, 11/14, when I was sitting at my desk in lab getting ready to play some candy crush to pass the time, i typed in my email address out of habit. i had 3 new emails, and the first one said "admissions - UConn School of Medicine...." I paused and stopped breathing before i even finished reading the subject line. i mentally prepped myself for disappointment just in case, clicked on the link and skimmed the email quickly. saw the words "accepted," stopped reading, and sat on my desk feeling totally overwhelmed. i let the news sink in and started tearing up. i eventually pulled myself together, went over to bear hug a lab mate, whom i wasn't even that close to. i then texted all my close friends and called my dad. honestly it was all a blur, but i remember literally twirling in the hallway when i was on the phone. i don't think it has hit me that i am going to be a doctor yet. it's incredibly unreal even now

Last edited:
This was a few weeks back but I was just sitting in class minding my business and I knew it was the day one of the schools I interviewed at was giving out acceptances. I received a call from an unfamiliar number (which I never answer, always send to voicemail) but decided to pick up anyway and walk out of the classroom. It happened to be the head of admissions at said school and she offered me a spot. I was pumped and said thanks, I appreciate it! Then I hung up and was like alright, time to rack up 250+k let's do this!!!
That was about the extent of my reaction but my girlfriend was like balling lol

Last edited:
So this was about 2.5 weeks ago. It was the morning of another interview. I was in Cali so the time was 3 hours later than "usual" for me. I was trying to sleep but my phone kept ringing. It was only 6:30am where I was, but 9:30am on the East Coast. I saw 4 missed calls, and 4 messages. 3 of them were from my mom- she always leaves a message every time she can't get me lol. The other one was from a number that I didn't recognize, but I knew the area code and state the call was coming from, where a school I had interviewed at was located. I was still in a sleepy daze plus the school had told us they would contact us within the first two weeks of November and it was only Nov. 1st, added to that my first decision was a wait list, so I was in a very pessimistic place concerning admissions decisions and decided not to get my hopes up. I called my mom first and apologized for not calling the night before, which is why she was freaking out lol. But as I was talking to her my heart started racing as my brain started functioning and I realized omg this could really be it! I didn't mention it to my mom just yet. I hung up with her and then checked my messages. To my disbelief, it was the dean congratulating me on being accepted :):):soexcited:.

I couldn't believe it and after that I couldn't go back to sleep, so I stayed up all morning and I wasn't stressed during my other interview that day because I already knew I was in. I was going to be a doctor!!

After I got the message, I just smiled and thanked God and immediately called my mom who screamed and proceeded to go tell everyone she knew. I then texted all of my friends "I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!! OMG" And I got so many texts of congratulations. It felt great :)

Reactions: 3 users
7UTjT.gif

Exactly this

Yep that was me too. Perfect .gif

To give some background, I have been feeling pretty defeated. There was deafening silence from most of the schools I applied to, and 4 rejections (3 of which I thought were "safety"). I had actually already written my personal statement for the next cycle, had selected a panel of less competitive schools, and was trying to figure out how I could beef up my application in the next 6 months for the 2014-2015 cycle.

But then, on Friday I was just casually checking my status at my dream school when I saw a line reading "Accepted - congratulations" had been added to my status page. I was like "oh that's weird, that wasn't there yesterday....WAIT A SECOND!!!!". :eek: As soon as I registered that the page actually said accepted, I checked the top of the page to make sure it was actually my name, and then I SCREEEEAAAAMED. I was still in lab at this time, but luckily my PI was in his office down the hall lol.

Then I ran at full speed out of the building to find reception so I could call my mom, call my sister, and text my friends to let them know I'm going to be a doctor! I'm going to my top choice school! Everything is going to be okay and I never have to go through this process again!!! :D

Honestly, it's been 3 days and I'm still wrapping my mind around it. :soexcited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I've been trying to keep my head up during the long bouts of silence I've had during this cycle. At this point, I had interviewed at 3 schools and will interview at another in 3 weeks, but have not heard anything for 6 weeks besides 4 pre-interview rejections. A few of my friends have been accepted already and I was starting to get anxious about possibly having to reapply. I was telling myself that if things didn't happen by Dec. 31st, I better be real with myself and get ready for the next application cycle.

While at work on Friday, I casually opened my email and noticed a sender I didn't recognize. I saw the heading "Welcome To The Temple Family!!" and then I just lost it. I jumped out of my chair, teared up a bit and called my wife. We were both in shock (I still am!). I am so relieved that things worked out.

I made my decision to pursue medicine somewhat later in college and had a lot of ground to make up with EC's. I definitely couldn't have done it without the support of my wife. She's been working full time which allowed me to reduce my workload so I could shadow, volunteer, study for the MCAT, and work on a bunch of applications. She also helped to constantly reassure me when I thought I wouldn't make it. It'll be a wild ride with having our first child, graduating, and then moving off to med school, but I honestly can't imagine life being any better!

I got the call, asked the woman who called me (my interviewer) if she was "for real", she laughed and said yes, she was absolutely "for real". I thanked her, hung up, gave my boyfriend a huge hug, yelled, "I'm going to be a doctor", grabbed a bottle of wine from my shelf, and finished that sucker off.

The true Wisconsinite way.

I got the call, asked the woman who called me (my interviewer) if she was "for real", she laughed and said yes, she was absolutely "for real". I thanked her, hung up, gave my boyfriend a huge hug, yelled, "I'm going to be a doctor", grabbed a bottle of wine from my shelf, and finished that sucker off.

The true Wisconsinite way.
Yes but what kind of wine? I must know

Will be posting in this thread in the following year when I apply. I have noticed a lot of people in this thread have relationships. I personally don't see how you guys do it. My ex was always making plans to go out and stuff while I was studying. Eventually led to her cheating and her excuse being "I never payed attention to her". Not derailing thread.

Congratulations to everyone so far! You give me hope as well.

So this was about 2.5 weeks ago. It was the morning of another interview. I was in Cali so the time was 3 hours later than "usual" for me. I was trying to sleep but my phone kept ringing. It was only 6:30am where I was, but 9:30am on the East Coast. I saw 4 missed calls, and 4 messages. 3 of them were from my mom- she always leaves a message every time she can't get me lol. The other one was from a number that I didn't recognize, but I knew the area code and state the call was coming from, where a school I had interviewed at was located. I was still in a sleepy daze plus the school had told us they would contact us within the first two weeks of November and it was only Nov. 1st, added to that my first decision was a wait list, so I was in a very pessimistic place concerning admissions decisions and decided not to get my hopes up. I called my mom first and apologized for not calling the night before, which is why she was freaking out lol. But as I was talking to her my heart started racing as my brain started functioning and I realized omg this could really be it! I didn't mention it to my mom just yet. I hung up with her and then checked my messages. To my disbelief, it was the dean congratulating me on being accepted :):):soexcited:.

I couldn't believe it and after that I couldn't go back to sleep, so I stayed up all morning and I wasn't stressed during my other interview that day because I already knew I was in. I was going to be a doctor!!

After I got the message, I just smiled and thanked God and immediately called my mom who screamed and proceeded to go tell everyone she knew. I then texted all of my friends "I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!! OMG" And I got so many texts of congratulations. It felt great :)

I'm so happy for you! I've been rooting for you all season! we're gonna be doctors!!

I work in the financial district in San Francisco. I was on my lunch break, and I was eating an ice cream on a waffle cone. I was walking by the bay when I received an email that my status was updated. Logged in, and saw that I had been accepted. I immediately threw my ice cream into the water, called my parents, then went back to work.

Reactions: 2 users
I work in the financial district in San Francisco. I was on my lunch break, and I was eating an ice cream on a waffle cone. I was walking by the bay when I received an email that my status was updated. Logged in, and saw that I had been accepted. I immediately threw my ice cream into the water, called my parents, then went back to work.

I laughed at the mental image of you violently hurling your ice cream cone into the Bay in celebration.

Reactions: 8 users
Got the email, watched a cool welcome video, called my mom. Sat there breathing many sighs of relief. Checked facebook and then started an episode of grey's anatomy.

I surprisingly held it together while on the phone and then immediately started crying.

I told my mom first and she started crying. Then I told my dad and he said "....okay."

Geez thanks dad.

I had a similar reaction... kept it together on the phone then lost my **** as soon as I hung up. Except when I called my parents and told them, sobbing uncontrollably, the conversation went something like this:

Mom: Oh, honey, that's great....... are you CRYING??
Me (voice cracking): Yes!
Dad (voice also cracking): It's OK, sweetie, so am I!

Awesome.

Reactions: 3 users
I screamed. For. The. Longest. Time.

I think my neighbors probably think I'm nuts.

I then proceeded to dance. I'm still super stoked.

It was 6:30 on a Friday night. I was heading in to the university gym (boring I know.) I read the email, teared up for a sec, called my parents, my sis, and a good buddy of mine, then I went in to the gym and carried on as usual. I will say that work out was pretty good.. :)

I almost crashed my car. It was surreal, and felt that way for a few days. Now I'm scared of debt and moving. Ha

Acceptance calls went out Thursday mornings, and it had been like 6 Thursdays and no luck so I honestly forgot about it. Got a call while I was watching TV, and answered a unknown phone number. Thought it was some random telemarketer or something. Until she said said she was from the admissions committee from X school. My heart suddenly dropped, and I couldn't speak. She said that they accepted me and gave the reasons why, including raising my MCAT and my GPA throughout undergrad.

I was really choked up, and all I could say was "I worked sooo hard for this." And she just said "Oh I know you did hunny, and I am so happy I could give you this news." After the phone call I was just pacing around my house calling my family. I had soo much energy that I went on a really long run where I practically teared up the entire time while day dreaming about medical school. It was honestly the happiest day of my life.

Reactions: 9 users
I fist-pumped so hard that I tore the long head of my biceps brachii and now look like Popeye. Totally worth it.

Super happy....till I realized I dreamt the whole thing and I still haven't gotten an interview... :bang:

Super happy....till I realized I dreamt the whole thing and I still haven't gotten an interview... :bang:

I hate when that happens. There's that brief moment of euphoria when you first wake up after a dream in which something awesome happened to you, when it fades you're left with a crummy post-dream hangover. Conversely, when you dream something bad, the euphoric feeling comes after you realize you dreamt it. "Yes!! I didn't actually go to class naked!!!"

I hate when that happens. There's that brief moment of euphoria when you first wake up after a dream in which something awesome happened to you, when it fades you're left with a crummy post-dream hangover. Conversely, when you dream something bad, the euphoric feeling comes after you realize you dreamt it. "Yes!! I didn't actually go to class naked!!!"
Unfortuanetly during application season post-dream hangover is quite prevalent lol

I've been reading this thread since freshman year and I absolutely love it!
Hopefully I'll be fortunate enough to post in the coming weeks *fingers crossed* :)

So today I had the crappiest day. I managed to miss a meeting with a super important person that knows people on the admissions committee at my school which is my top choice and I was freaking out. I wrote an apology email to him and dropped by his office to give his secretary an apology letter. I've only had three interviews and no other invites so I've been freaking out about that too... I also had this huge project due at midnight today for one class, and another tomorrow for another class....and I was basically just dying and miserable....I am busy being super miserable and my mom calls me and starts reading the acceptance letter to my state school out loud and I get super confused. I ask her if she's lying to me to make me feel better about life. Then we video call and she shows me the letter and I'm like OMG and basically I tell every person I meet that I got into med school. I call everyone that I care about....and stop giving a crap about the work that I have due, until i get back into my senses and realize i need to get on it. right now i'm sitting in my room unable to go to sleep from the relief and shock because it still hasn't sunk in.....state school is super good but not my top choice but it feels good to know I will be a doctor no matter what happens . It's so surreal.

First off, I wasn't expecting an acceptance any time soon. All of the schools I interviewed at had yet to accept anyone besides EDP so I was totally caught off guard. I was sitting in the cafeteria, and one of my friends started talking to me while I was trying to facetime my sister. I'm looking at the phone and all of a sudden I see my iphone displaying the phone number and "City, State" from one of my top choices. I literally shrieked, frantically trying to hang up on my sister without hanging up on the incoming call, confusing my friend all along as to why I was shrieking and twitching trying to work my phone. I answer and after the dean told me I was just like "REALLY?!" and he said yes and I had no idea what else I said except for "Thank you so much-- have a nice day" super awkwardly. Tphen roceeded to call my mom, sister, and tell every person who I knew in the cafeteria that "I WAS GOING TO MED SCHOOL!". And then I went on a run and literally grinned like a fool the whole time. So surreal!!! Best of luck to all! :happy:

Last edited:
My mom called me and she asked "What would you do if you didn't get accepted?" so I replied "I'd be really sad but do more activities and reapply" and then she said "well, don't feel sad and you don't need to do more activities, you got in!" and i was like SFDGCHJKHLJWK:A"

Reactions: 10 users
My mom called me and she asked "What would you do if you didn't get accepted?" so I replied "I'd be really sad but do more activities and reapply" and then she said "well, don't feel sad and you don't need to do more activities, you got in!" and i was like SFDGCHJKHLJWK:A"
Sneaky mom! Congrats!