when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was volunteering at the hospital, prepping some newborn cribs. I looked at my phone and saw that my mom had texted me. It was a picture of an envelope from a medical school with a text saying, "I wonder whose this is?" I immediately put down what I was doing and called her. I told her, "Why would you send that to me when you know I won't be home for another four hours!?" She responds, "Do you want me to open it?" I say, "Yes! No! I don't know!" She says, "I'm going to open it." I told her, "Okay, fine." Before she opened it, I asked her if it looked like it was more than just one page, and she said it felt like there were at least two. I was like, oh ... great ... It felt like it took forever for her to open it. All I heard after that was " ... it is my pleasure to inform you that you have been accepted ..." I was so stoked! First thought: THANK GOD I don't have to take the MCAT again! Second thought: I'm actually going to be a doctor! Kind of sad that that was the order of my thoughts, now that I think of it. Anyway, I had to leave early that day because I was too excited to do my job. It was one of the best moments of my life.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
So, as a reapplicant, this cycle was more stressful for me just because I've seen what can go wrong and I'm familiar with constant rejection. I went into this cycle fixing any and every issue with my application, and although I was hopeful, I still had this lingering feeling that I wouldn't get in. I had interviews last cycle, but was either rejected or waitlisted, so even when I got interviews this cycle, I was still relatively nervous because I know that great interviews don't guarantee an acceptance.

I attended my first interview in September, and basically prayed every day for an acceptance. The school notifies about acceptances via postal mail, and they use the same size envelopes for rejections or acceptances, so you literally have to wait for the mail to come and actually open it and read it to know when you're accepted. At my interview day, they told us we would receive a decision within 4-6 weeks to our home address. I felt like the interview went amazing, but last cycle had made me so pessimistic that I figured a rejection was coming anyway.

About 3 weeks later, my little sister is checking the mail and says a letter from the school is there for me. What?!? But it hasn't even been four weeks. What the actual eff is going on?! In my mind, if you made a decision that quickly, it's a rejection! I was freaking out and almost didn't even read it because I figured it was a rejection and I didn't want to make myself sad this early in the cycle. My sister, who is only 14, punched me in the arm and told me to stop being scared and open the letter. Before opening the letter, I tried to read through the envelope to see if it was even an acceptance/rejection letter. Some of the schools I had previously applied to had sent me letters about their other professional programs (PA, podiatry, etc) so I was like "maybe this is a letter about something else, especially since it's so early". In looking through the envelope, I saw what looked like a "technical standards" document, which they said they sent to accepted students. I took a deep breath and opened the letter...

It was about one paragraph in before i realized I was accepted. They didn't actually say "welcome to the class of 2019" until the end of the first paragraph. I read it twice before I screamed and fell on the floor. I could feel waterfalls falling out of my eyes. It was real. I did it. I GOT ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!

I literally just cried on the floor with the letter in hand for about 10 minutes. Didn't even call or talk to anyone. My sister knew what had just happened and started recording me crying and sending it to my parents and other siblings. They didn't know why I was crying so they started calling me all frantically lol I was so excited to tell them but I couldn't even breathe properly haha. But once I told them and heard the happiness in their voices, I knew that this was even better then I could have imagined. At first, I was mad at my sister for recording me crying, but now I'm happy that I have visual proof of that day.

I'm actually tearing up as I remember that day and how it felt. What I learned: God's timing is the BEST timing. Everything happens for a reason, and even if we don't understand it, it will all work out in the end. I've worked so hard to accomplish this goal over the past 4+ years (I'm a nontrad) and to see your dreams become a reality is possibly the best gift you can give to yourself and to those that you love.

I also learned that I am a hideous crier and I should probably never cry in public like that if I want to keep my friends. Gadaaaaamnn.

Reactions: 22 users
As a reapplicant, the first cycle had drained me as I hadn't received any interviews until March and the rest of the summer on a wait list. This was largely my own fault, as I had applied late in September because of my limited experience and knowledge of the admissions process. (Let this be a warning to all you future applicants, get that application in within weeks!) I felt stupid when I realized my mistake.

I waited and waited to hear back from my top choice, and when the AMCAS opened up again during the summer I started to panic. I contacted their admission office, talked about what my options were, and decided to reapply for the next cycle even though I was still on the wait list. Somehow I managed to get it all in before the end of June. Then secondaries.

I moved to the same city as my first choice, where my husband had gotten a job, still hoping. The school year started and I was notified that no one else was being pulled from the wait list as the class had matriculated. I felt left behind.

I got another interview at my top choice, it went well, and then I waited some more. I had learned the schedule for when the admissions committee would meet and when I could expect a decision. I stalked SDN for news from other interviewees the first day decisions would be released and sat on my email account refreshing every few seconds. Others posted of acceptances, but all through the day there was nothing in my inbox. After I had waited for months on the wait list it had become easy to think that this would be another repeat of the last year.

I went to volunteer that day, trying to put it out of my head and telling myself to stay positive. When I got home, I checked my email one more time, just in case. And there it was, the email, the offer of acceptance. I called my husband and immediately started crying when he answered. He was driving and--understandably--instantly began to freak out since I'm not big on tears. I sobbed my news to him, and then called my parents and sobbed to them next. I just felt so relieved and thankful, like a crushing weight of self doubt and uncertainty had been lifted.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was sitting in class when I got the email. I accidentally screamed a little, jumped up and literally ran out of the classroom laughing/starting to cry. Everyone probably thinks I'm psychotic, but who cares - I'm going to be a doctor!!!!!! I made a bunch of calls, but literally no one was answering their phone. Then I said screw my class today, and I went back, got my stuff and left.

Reactions: 4 users
I've been looking everywhere for this thread!

My post in the Class of 2019 thread:
Woke up this morning to find an acceptance email from an MD school. Shouted "I'm going to medical school!!!" and my dogs started barking and gave me kisses. LOL Hugged my mom, texted my friends and family, emailed my professors and doctors, and accepted the offer.
I seriously thought I was going to reapply since my application was a bit late (completed late August) and I was rejected post-interview in November. I didn't hear back from any schools until end of February. I quickly made the flight plans and accommodations, did mock interviews, and 4 days after the interview day got an acceptance.
A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I am excited to join you all in becoming a physician!!

6 days later it still feels surreal but so good to know that all that hard work was worth it.

I ran down my driveway screaming. My grandmother and mother thought I had lost my mind.

I had a study monitor in that day (he wasn't one of the friendly kinds, mostly just a sort-of-chubby asian guy with a generally sour demeanor), and he was giving me a (fun) time. I noticed a missed call on my phone from the area code of my top choice (up until this point I hadn't been accepted anywhere yet) so I ran outside, called the number back. I got the secretary, she was pleasant but and a little confused by my basically foaming-at-the-mouth questioning of whether I had been accepted. She didn't know and asked if she could have the DoA call me back. I had a mini-heart attack, said okay, and right before I hung up she told me that the DoA wanted to talk to me. It was good news, I basically went all country boy on her saying things like "aw shucks ma'am, you just made me feel like a million bucks" she laughed, said that was her favorite response to an acceptance call yet.

I hang up, call the necessary people (SO, immediate family), and go inside to tell co-workers. Then my study monitor. See, he was there when I got the initial notification for my interview for this school, and he was back at the time of my acceptance. I decided this angry, chubby, little asian man was my good luck charm, like a sour-buddha, and asked him if I could give him a hug. He was in a small office literally surrounded by binders and documents, not a lot of room to move. He seems confused but consents due to my "you-hug-me-now" face, gets up and tries to do one of those "single arm to the side half-hug" bull**** hugs. I don't want to invade his space too much so I put my right arm around him and I immediately don't know what to do with my left arm. So I move my left hand over and just ever-so-lightly I pat his belly.

Monitor: Great job on getting into medical school
Me: y-you too...

This was more than a month ago and my co-workers still tell the story because it made them laugh so much.

Reactions: 7 users
I was in the atrium at my university eating lunch and waiting for a student I was meeting with. I thought that I wouldn't hear my decision until the next day so I really wasn't expecting the "admissions decision" notification in my inbox. I opened the email and scanned it and since it did not open with "Congratulations" I figured it was a rejection...until I saw the words "we would like to offer you a seat..." I jumped out of my chair away from my computer, then ran back to check the screen again to make sure it was real. I started sobbing and crying and could barely dial my parents phone number because I was shaking so hard.

Reactions: 7 users
To tell you the truth it was a bit anticlimactic.
More or less it was a "well that hurdle is over" kind of moment.

It's something that I've been working my a**of for so long. So when I achevied it I guess I didn't know how to react.

I'm pretty goal oriented so sitting here for the last 5 months I've been dying to bite into anything I can waiting for school to start.

To tell you the truth it was a bit anticlimactic.
More or less it was a "well that hurdle is over" kind of moment.

It's something that I've been working my a**of for so long. So when I achevied it I guess I didn't know how to react.

I'm pretty goal oriented so sitting here for the last 5 months I've been dying to bite into anything I can waiting for school to start.
Agreed, it's like, "what do I do now?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I read this many years ago and finally can say I get to post in this thread :).

I found out in the middle of my workout. Dean asked me if I was ok since I was out of breath. Said I never felt better, and hoping it would be good news. tells me I'm accepted.

I tell him thanks and he hangs up. Pull a deadlift PR and just smile. Not really emotional guy, but really felt nice to know the hardwork had paid off.

Serious gf got a disappointing LSAT score earlier in the day and I found out while I was trying to talk her down. The mix of emotions really stole the moment from me and I'll never know if she fully understands what she did. You want and work for something for so long and then it happens and you're too busy and stressed to even appreciate it.

In any case, two of my close friends found out that day from the same school so we got sloshed. Gf took care of me that night and ended up getting a great offer anyway. No harm no foul.

I read this many years ago and finally can say I get to post in this thread :).

I found out in the middle of my workout. Dean asked me if I was ok since I was out of breath. Said I never felt better, and hoping it would be good news. tells me I'm accepted.

I tell him thanks and he hangs up. Pull a deadlift PR and just smile. Not really emotional guy, but really felt nice to know the hardwork had paid off.
you just got accepted today? didn't most schools start already?

It could be through an ED program, guys do not panic. Regular admission decisions do not go out until mid-October

Bumping this for today and beyond. Best of luck to everyone currently waiting!

Reactions: 6 users
Serious gf got a disappointing LSAT score earlier in the day and I found out while I was trying to talk her down. The mix of emotions really stole the moment from me and I'll never know if she fully understands what she did. You want and work for something for so long and then it happens and you're too busy and stressed to even appreciate it.

In any case, two of my close friends found out that day from the same school so we got sloshed. Gf took care of me that night and ended up getting a great offer anyway. No harm no foul.

What "she did"?!

I just found out about this thread and I think it's awesome. Especially because now it's my turn to share the story.
Edit: this story turned out to be much longer than I expected, but I believe that those of you brave enough to tackle it will enjoy it a lot :)

I was having the worst weekend ever. Ok, maybe not the worst but I was definitively accumulating some Karma.
First, my plans for the concert on Saturday never happened because my friends decided that they didn't like the idea the day before. Therefore, I didn't have time to figure out an alternative plan, and I really wanted to go out that weekend.

Second, my depressed-I, instead of using the extra time to get ahead in some classes, started playing a video game. I spent 17 hours in a two day period playing the same video game (I know it's crazy, but it happens). On Sunday night, I was planning on meeting a friend for dinner and he told me that he was running a little bit late. So, right after I got ready to leave I realized that I had time to play for another 20 minutes or so. I started the game in a hurry, I only had a few minutes to play, and I loaded the game as fast as I could. Something happened, to this day I don't know if it was a glitch or if I am that stupid, but I ended up deleting the save file with the 17 hours of play time. Only the gamers out there will understand how much that hurts. Especially because I loved the game, I only completed about half of it, and now I won't play it until a few months have passed and I gather enough courage to start everything from scratch.

Third, when I left my home to go see my friend the sky suddenly decided that it was not raining enough and the slight shower became a tropical storm. I took the metro thinking "by the time I arrive it will be fine". Well, you are right, it was way worse when I arrived to the other metro station. The water was flooding the station but my friend's house is a 15 minute walk from there. I opened my umbrella and I decided to risk it, because I had no idea when it would stop and I didn't want to wait there forever. Long story short, I had to cross puddles so big that I am sure I could have fished something out of it. But the best part, is that when I rang the bell of my friend's house, the rain stopped. To be fair it was decreasing its intensity for a few minutes, but the point is that by the time I arrived it simply stopped. There were no drops falling from the sky. I was so soaked that I was stepping on water even when the floor was dry. The only clothes that were still dry were my shirt and my boxer shorts. My friend was kind enough to lend me some pants and shoes, because they were not wearable after that trip.

Finally, after a nice dinner with my friend and some good chat I was feeling better. We even talked about how great it would be if I already had an acceptance. I took a cab home thinking about my lost game file, and that I should start doing some homework. I arrived home, my parents were on their bed watching some TV, my sister was brushing her teeth while snapchtting somebody, business as usual. Then I noticed in my phone that I have received an email. I checked it without any expectation for some reasons: a few days ago I was deferred from another school, the two decisions that I was waiting on were expected to be released in the next two weeks, and these two schools specifically mentioned on the interview day that they only send decision by regular mail.

So there I was with an email that definitively looked like a med school email. "It will probably be some extra-information-thing they send sometimes" I though. I opened it without fuss, while I was trying to find the charger of my phone. As soon as it opened I realized that this was not the format of what I was expecting. I have to mention right here that this is my second cycle, and in the last one I received a lot of waitlist emails. And this email looked exactly like one of those. I immediately started to scan the email looking for the word "waitlist" or similar and suddenly I find "acceptance". I stopped, and I kept looking at that word making sure that it wouldn't disappear. After a few seconds, I actually start reading the content. Full disclosure: it begins with a big "Congratulations!!!" Yeah you read correctly, it had not one but three exclamation marks, which should have lead me to decide that it was not a waitlist letter. Anyway, I was so shocked I couldn't talk for a few seconds so I just walked into my parent's room with the phone in my hand like I had just won the world championship of awesomeness. They were like "what are you doing?" then they realized. My mom said in a really high pitched voice "did they accepted you?" I was only able to nod. Then the screams of joy started, my mom hugged me, my dad congratulated me, my sister hugged me too. My mom started calling all her side of the family. I asked my dad to read to email to make sure that it was real. Then he started calling all his side of the family. It was great!! Then I read the email and I realized that my actual name was not in there, so I ran and logged in the website to make sure that they didn't make a mistake. There it was, the new "accepted" tab, and the acceptance letter with my name, last name and AMCAS ID on it, there was no doubt. That's when it became real. All the waiting from the past cycle, all the doubts that I was having about my future (putting my family through a third cycle would have been really intense for our economic situation), all the horrible uncertainty that comes from this process (twice!), it all disappeared, I felt 20 pounds lighter. On the other hand, all the work that I put into improving my application, my school choices and my interview skills, it all had payed off. I was really happy, I still am. I have been so long in the "waiting" mode that I cannot believe is real.

Bottom line, it was completely awesome! And thank you Karma.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
I just found out about this thread and I think it's awesome. Especially because now it's my turn to share the story.
Edit: this story turned out to be much longer than I expected, but I believe that those of you brave enough to tackle it will enjoy it a lot :)

I was having the worst weekend ever. Ok, maybe not the worst but I was definitively accumulating some Karma.
First, my plans for the concert on Saturday never happened because my friends decided that they didn't like the idea the day before. Therefore, I didn't have time to figure out an alternative plan, and I really wanted to go out that weekend.

Second, my depressed-I, instead of using the extra time to get ahead in some classes, started playing a video game. I spent 17 hours in a two day period playing the same video game (I know it's crazy, but it happens). On Sunday night, I was planning on meeting a friend for dinner and he told me that he was running a little bit late. So, right after I got ready to leave I realized that I had time to play for another 20 minutes or so. I started the game in a hurry, I only had a few minutes to play, and I loaded the game as fast as I could. Something happened, to this day I don't know if it was a glitch or if I am that stupid, but I ended up deleting the save file with the 17 hours of play time. Only the gamers out there will understand how much that hurts. Especially because I loved the game, I only completed about half of it, and now I won't play it until a few months have passed and I gather enough courage to start everything from scratch.

Third, when I left my home to go see my friend the sky suddenly decided that it was not raining enough and the slight shower became a tropical storm. I took the metro thinking "by the time I arrive it will be fine". Well, you are right, it was way worse when I arrived to the other metro station. The water was flooding the station but my friend's house is a 15 minute walk from there. I opened my umbrella and I decided to risk it, because I had no idea when it would stop and I didn't want to wait there forever. Long story short, I had to cross puddles so big that I am sure I could have fished something out of it. But the best part, is that when I rang the bell of my friend's house, the rain stopped. To be fair it was decreasing its intensity for a few minutes, but the point is that by the time I arrived it simply stopped. There were no drops falling from the sky. I was so soaked that I was stepping on water even when the fool was dry. The only clothes that were still dry were my shirt and my boxer shorts. My friend was kind enough to lend me some pants and shoes, because they were not wearable after that trip.

Finally, after a nice dinner with my friend and some good chat I was feeling better. We even talked about how great it would be if I already had an acceptance. I took a cab home thinking about my lost game file, and that I should start doing some homework. I arrived home, my parents were on their bed watching some TV, my sister was brushing her teeth while snapchtting somebody, business as usual. Then I noticed in my phone that I have received an email. I checked it without any expectation for some reasons: a few days ago I was deferred from another school, the two decisions that I was waiting on were expected to be released in the next two weeks, and these two schools specifically mentioned on the interview day that they only send decision by regular mail.

So there I was with an email that definitively looked like a med school email. "It will probably be some extra-information-thing they send sometimes" I though. I opened it without fuss, while I was trying to find the charger of my phone. As soon as it opened I realized that this was not the format of what I was expecting. I have to mention right here that this is my second cycle, and in the last one I received a lot of waitlist emails. And this email looked exactly like one of those. I immediately started to scan the email looking for the word "waitlist" or similar and suddenly I find "acceptance". I stopped, and I keep looking at that word making sure that it wouldn't disappear. After a few seconds, I actually start reading the content. Full disclosure: it starts with a big "Congratulations!!!" Yeah you read correctly, it had not one but three exclamation marks, which should have lead me to decide that it was not a waitlist letter. Anyway, I was so shocked I couldn't talk for a few seconds so I just walked into my parent's room with the phone in my hand like I had just won the world championship of awesomeness. They were like "what are you doing?" then they realized. My mom said in a really high pitched voice "did they accepted you?" I was only able to nod. Then the screams of joy started, my mom hugged me, my dad congratulated me, my sister hugged me too. My mom started calling all her side of the family. I ask my dad to read to email to make sure that it was real. Then he started calling all his side of the family. It was great!! Then I read the email and I realized that my actual name was not in there, so I ran and logged in the website to make sure that they didn't make a mistake. There it was, the new "accepted" tab, and the acceptance letter with my name, last name and AMCAS ID on it, there was no doubt. That's when it became real. All the waiting from the past cycle, all the doubts that I was having about my future (putting my family through a third cycle would have been really intense for our economic situation), all the horrible uncertainty that comes from this process (twice!), it all disappeared, I felt 20 pounds lighter. On the other hand, all the work that I put into improving my application, my school choices and my interview skills, it all had payed off. I was really happy, I still am. I have been so long in the "waiting" mode that I cannot believe is real.

Bottom line, it was completely awesome! And thank you Karma.
congrats!
was the game Fallout?

congrats!
was the game Fallout?
Thank you! :)
And thank God the game was not Fallout, that would have been a really awful loss. It was actually Mad Max, which I just bought because I really like the movies. I was pleasantly surprised with it because the reviews made it sound much worse.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! :)
And thank God the game was not Fallout, that would have been a really awful loss. It was actually Mad Max, which I just bought because I really like the movies. I was pleasantly surprised with it because the reviews made it sound much worse.
I've been getting destroyed in Bloodborne...
I Feel like that game is the video game version of medical school

Reactions: 2 users
I've been getting destroyed in Bloodborne...
I Feel like that game is the video game version of medical school
Haven't played to that one, but I am told that it is the Dark Souls version of PS4. Either way, that comment made me laugh way too hard.

I was in the middle of playing a quick match on Topspin 4 world tour mode with my custom Nick Kyrgios player when I got the call.

I knew that it was likely a medical school calling so I quit out of the game (I was leading) to take the call (the disconnect decreased my grade and I have been working ever so hard to reach a grade of 15 for the "You're Not Kidding Anymore" achievement :p).

I took the call, didn't really know what to say other than "wow thank you I don't know what to say" then when the call was finished, I texted my friends and family and had phone calls all around. Everyone I talked to was more excited then I was. The most incredible thing to me was, from that point forward even through until now, being able to think: "I am going to medical school" rather than "I plan on going to medical school" which has been my premise for so long.

When all was said and done I fired up my Mr. Coffee maker and brewed a pot of New England Donut Shop coffee, my prized blend for special moments. I drank an 8 cup pot then feasted on turkey meatballs in classico fire roasted tomato and garlic pasta sauce that I had put into the croc pot earlier that morning. With each meaty bite I realized more and more that I will actually be a doctor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I was in the middle of playing a quick match on Topspin 4 world tour mode with my custom Nick Kyrgios player when I got the call.

I knew that it was likely a medical school calling so I quit out of the game (I was leading) to take the call (the disconnect decreased my grade and I have been working ever so hard to reach a grade of 15 for the "You're Not Kidding Anymore" achievement :p).

I took the call, didn't really know what to say other than "wow thank you I don't know what to say" then when the call was finished, I texted my friends and family and had phone calls all around. Everyone I talked to was more excited then I was. The most incredible thing to me was, from that point forward even through until now, being able to think: "I am going to medical school" rather than "I plan on going to medical school" which has been my premise for so long.

When all was said and done I fired up my Mr. Coffee maker and brewed a pot of New England Donut Shop coffee, my prized blend for special moments. I drank an 8 cup pot then feasted on turkey meatballs in classico fire roasted tomato and garlic pasta sauce that I had put into the croc pot earlier that morning. With each meaty bite I realized more and more that I will actually be a doctor.
I also did not know what to say other than wow thank you. There was just awkward silence lol

Reactions: 1 users

wtf

I already had 1 acceptance at this point but this one was from my top 2 schools:

Me: Meh, it's been a few wks since my interview, let me be an annoying neurotic premed and call the admissions office to see when they'd get back

11:10 AM:
Me: Hello my name is derp derpity and I interviewed at X COM mid September, when do you think we'll hear back? Sorry for the neurosis in advance (actually said that)
Admissions: It's ok! You can hear back anytime between then and one month from your interview date
Me: :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh: ok thanks *ends call at 11:12AM*

I proceed to go downstairs, put on Grey's Anatomy because why not, get my bowl of cereal, and get on SDN. I see on SDN somebody interviewing my day said "ACCEPTED!!!" and so I checked my email and at 11:15 (I **** you not, 5 minutes after I CALLED THEM), I have a congrats you are accepted email. I literally swallowed my cereal, said OMG and my grandmother thought I was having a heart attack because she turned around and sprung into action saying "what happened are you dying are you ok". I promptly ran around my house 20 times almost hitting my head on an open door calling people saying I got into my #2.

I guess I'll share mine -

I work at a residential treatment center for the severely mentally ill, and I was dealing with a crisis where one patient had stabbed her roommate with a fork. After we had wrenched them apart and called the psychiatrist, I went to the bathroom to clean the blood off of myself and check my email for the 10 millionth time that day. That's when I saw an email with the subject "Congratulations!" and my mind just couldn't comprehend. I went back to complete hospitalization paperwork, scatterbrained, and slowly as I started to process what had just happened I became more and more elated. Finally, by the time my clinical director showed up asking for an explanation to what had happened, I was beaming with joy as I described how a patient had just brutalized her roommate. I hadn't even realized how inappropriate that was at the time until the clinical director said "From the looks of it, you could use a shot of haldol too." and I was just like "yeah probably" and skipped off happily to tell my coworkers and celebrate.

I read my acceptance letters, smiled, and then got back to work.

I slept through two alarms, woke up at 10:30AM, checked my e-mails, saw my acceptance, and sat in contemplative silence in my bed for another hour.

All in all, it wasn't a very productive day. But a good one.

I was driving home and I received a call. I heard the Director of Admission's voice and I yelled "Yes!!!!!!" She asked if I knew why I she was calling and I said "you told us that you would only be making calls to the accepted students!"

Great feeling.

Out walking my dog on a Saturday morning... Got the call. I was in shock so I didn't say much. Awkward, exciting, short phone call. Still think I may be in shock. Occasionally it hits me and I inadvertently let out a squeal and some spastic dance moves.

Well, I just got in 15 minutes ago! And yeah, Wake Forest is one of those that sends a skinny little envelope with one piece of paper inside. But what's written on the paper is what really counts!!!

I screamed and started jumping up and down. :) I still kinda am.
I'm a Winston native. You're going to love working at WFUMBC and Brenner's. It's a great hospital, #3 in the state or something. We love all the Wake kids! edit: ****ing congrats!

Anyone else yell into the phone while speaking with an ADCOM when you got the call lol

Anyone else yell into the phone while speaking with an ADCOM when you got the call lol

Lol yes. The Dean of Admissions called me at 1:40 am on the 15th and I screamed hysterically into his ear.

I was on my way to another interview on October 15th. People at the one school I was able to hear from that day were posting acceptances on SDN, but my email remained silent. An hour went by and I heard nothing and started to get anxious. Then I had to get on a plane and turn off my electronics; so for two hours I was almost shaking in my seat. I'm sure the other passengers thought I was terrified of flying haha.

Once the wheels hit the ground, I turned my phone off airplane mode and frantically checked my inbox only to see the most disappointing sight of no new emails.

Before I caught my ride from the airport, I decided to use the bathroom. I was sitting in a stall in this crowded public bathroom in Florida and my email went off. There in the subject line was "CONGRATULATIONS!!!!" I was stunned and had to suppress my screams lol

I hated those three hours of anxiety, but oh did it make that email feel so much better.

Time to contribute.

Walking out of my interview at one of my favorite schools, I felt as if I rocked it. As days passed, my mind started playing tricks on me thinking about things that I didn't talk about even though I was given the chance. This haunted me until this past week. I had previously installed the Inbox app for the email account I linked to my AMCAS and secondaries, so that any emails I received from schools would give a much different appearance on my phone's lock screen, including the first line or so of the message. When I saw the word "Congratulations" in that first line, time seemed to completely stop. I couldn't even open the e-mail; I literally dropped my phone on the desk. I covered my mouth to keep my jaw from dropping to the ground. Everything I've faced and conquered over the past 4-5 years led to this: Accepted!!! I felt nothing but absolute clarity and happiness. I treated becoming a physician as something I wanted just as bad as I wanted to breathe, and I was so happy that it paid off.

I told all my friends, a few family members, my letter writers, and old employers immediately, which drew just a few tears (I almost never tear up or cry). I told them not to tell my parents. I went home after a long day at work, sat on the couch, and had a regular conversation with my parents, who were as anxious as I was about this process. I subtly started recording video on my phone and placed it somewhere in the room where I could see us all. My parents were about to go to bed, but I told them to hold on and then proceeded to share the news. Having been raised in challenging circumstances, my parents cried like babies when it hit them about what I just accomplished. I cried a little. There is nothing quite like making your parents that happy at the end of the day while simultaneously being given entrance to your lifelong dream. It's been a few days and I still feel like I'm on cloud nine.

Thank you for everything SDN. Hope to meet some of you in class. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

I got my first acceptance just now, while I was alone at work (I work in an ice cream store). I stopped what I was doing, made myself a celebratory ice cream, sat down and ate it, and then started sobbing for a solid ten minutes. :rofl:

Edit: had finally stopped crying when a group of residents from a nearby hospital walked into the store. Started sobbing all over again. They were very confused.

Last edited:
Reactions: 27 users
I got my first acceptance just now, while I was alone at work (I work in an ice cream store). I stopped what I was doing, made myself a celebratory ice cream, sat down and ate it, and then started sobbing for a solid ten minutes. :rofl:

Edit: had finally stopped crying when a group of residents from a nearby hospital walked into the store. Started sobbing all over again. They were very confused.

I don't work at an ice cream store but I fully plan on doing this now too *fingers crossed*

Reactions: 3 users
I got the call when I was on my bike riding home. As I was trying to grab my phone, I accidentally rejected the call! I called back immediately and luckily the admissions dean answered and laughed when I told her what happened. When she told me I was in, I was on the side of the road and on my knees sobbing out of happiness. It felt so so so good. Easily the best moment of my life!

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
It was a weird sensation. The school sent the letters out a little late, so it came the day after I went back to school after fall break. I got a call from my mom that she was sending me something. Well, obviously I had a good idea, since she was crying. When I received it three days later in the mail, I allowed myself to actually feel something. I felt relief for the first time in a long time. Happiness hit me a little later.

Reactions: 8 users
I was at work running a clinical trial with a patient. It was a super laid back study and my patients knew that I was applying to med school, as did my boss. I stepped out of the room to take the call from a school I wasn't expecting to hear from so soon, and as the dean was rambling about who he was and why he was calling my knees were shaking so badly I thought they would give out! haha. He told me I was in and I started crying all over the place. Actually, I told him I had to hang up because I was ugly crying and that just wasn't good for either one of us. A co-worker took over running the rest of the experiment for me so I could go across the street to Starbucks for a celebratory frapp!

Then I got back to work with my celebratory frapp and received another call from a school I wasn't expecting to hear from that day. My favorite school. The dean told me I was accepted with a full-tuition scholarship, and then I really started to ugly cry. Thank god there weren't any patients left in our lab that late in the day because I was a freaking mess. Sobbing and wailing all over the place. Then I called the dean back to make sure there wasn't a mistake lmao there wasn't. I think I smiled for three days straight and busted out crying at random times too whenever I remembered that phone call. Best news ever.

Reactions: 39 users
I seemed super excited, but it sort of felt like I was faking. I didn't really feel anything to be honest.

May or may not be something wrong with me at this point...

Reactions: 11 users
My significant other and I both got accepted to the same school within 10 minutes of each other and it was the happiest moment of my entire life. I went face down on my desk and every time I tried to talk all I could say was "Its over....Oh my god, its over"

My dad died when I was 10 years old, and the doctor who treated him had become something like my mentor. He heard from the med school that I'd been accepted and called me to tell me how happy he was for me and how proud my dad would have been. Don't think I've ever cried so hard in my whole life

Reactions: 44 users
I was working a 6am event shift at the hotel I work part time at earlier this week. 6:30am I got the call from the dean. I was practically speechless, and felt like I was on some high for the remaining awful 10 hours of work I had to do.. It took a few days to process but when i had my day off yesterday and got my official email and confirmed, it started to feel real and I've had a smile on my face ever since. Sometimes when I'm alone I do a really lame fist pump in the air and yell "I'm gonna be a doctor!" lol

Last edited: