Where are you applying and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkuhug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering where you guys are all applying and why?

I am applying to SCCO, Berkeley, Western and ICO. Want to stay local thus the Cali schools and ICO because the optometrist I work with is a grad from there, she really knows her stuff!

Wanted to see where others are headed and open to suggestions of other programs. First time applying so not sure how many schools, etc.

side question: I haven't taken the OAT yet, so I'm registering first and trying to sign up via Prometric. It's asking which schools I want to send reports to, will there be additional fees if I decide to add more schools later, or just the same $33 charge?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I am definitely applying to PUCO, and maybe ICO, Midwestern, and Indiana.

I toured Pacific over spring break and fell in love with the campus. Everyone seemed super friendly and welcoming. Not to mention their 6 clinics, health professions atmosphere, some pretty great opportunities for getting into geriatric optometry, and the location in the PNW.

Otherwise, what I looking for in schools is a relatively small town feel, a lot of student involvement in the community, high boards pass rates, and curriculum that speaks to my goal of working in geriatric/low-vision optometry.

Good luck in your applications everyone!

My situation is almost identical to yours; I'm looking to stay in California too: SCCO, Berkeley, and Western, but also Pacific in Oregon because the optometrist I've shadowed and known forever graduated from there. I don't blame you for wanting to stay - personally, I'm too attached to California! Too much family here and the weather is nice
Good luck mate!

Members don't see this ad :)
My situation is almost identical to yours; I'm looking to stay in California too: SCCO, Berkeley, and Western, but also Pacific in Oregon because the optometrist I've shadowed and known forever graduated from there. I don't blame you for wanting to stay - personally, I'm too attached to California! Too much family here and the weather is nice
Good luck mate!

Every time I see a pre-opt applicant say they'll never leave California, I cry a little inside for you.

I no longer live there, but it is so insanely saturated there that soon Lenscrafters can pay minimum wage (it's already way way below national average) and still have hundreds of applicants.
I sincerely hope you all have saved up enough for the onslaught of student loans

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Every time I see a pre-opt applicant say they'll never leave California, I cry a little inside for you.

I no longer live there, but it is so insanely saturated there that soon Lenscrafters can pay minimum wage (it's already way way below national average) and still have hundreds of applicants.
I sincerely hope you all have saved up enough for the onslaught of student loans

Honestly, I think the tradeoffs are still worth it for me. I have a network of optometrists here, and California, optometry, close friends and family are what make me happy - even if it means being in debt longer. I am trying to stay away from working in a saturated metropolitan area though because that's not really where I'm from.
But of course, I'm not even in optometry school yet

Honestly, I think the tradeoffs are still worth it for me. I have a network of optometrists here, and California, optometry, close friends and family are what make me happy - even if it means being in debt longer. I am trying to stay away from working in a saturated metropolitan area though because that's not really where I'm from.
lol

If you're absolutely certain on staying in California - start networking now! It's important to reach out to optometrists, but think of other ways that will make you stand out to an employer.

I'm suggesting starting community service where you want to practice, attend/organize vision screenings, learn how to do an exam in a foreign language, etc. If you can make yourself unique and indispensable amongst other applicants, then you'll survive no matter the circumstances.

Reactions: 1 user