Where are you applying? What are your top schools?

MarylandMatt

Veni Vidi Vici
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, what are your stats? I could help you determine whether you'll get in or not based on your stats, I'm pretty good with that stuff. Personally, I have a 3.5 unweighted GPA and a 1990 SAT. My schools are as follows...

#1 = University of Miami (might apply ED)
#2 = Georgetown University (unlikely)
#3 = University of Maryland
USC would be my #3, but I don't think my parents want me to go that far away. It's hard to get into as well. Don't know if I'll bother applying.

Backups = University of Alabama, Florida State, Southern Methodist University, West Virginia University.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.8 GPA, 29 ACT, and pretty decent ECs.
I've applied to 6 schools:

Indiana University- Accepted
New Mexico State University- Accepted
Purdue University- Decision Dec. 13
Virginia Military Institute- Decision Dec. 15 (Applied ED)
University of North Georgia- Waiting
U of South Florida- Waiting

I am also considering applying to the Coast Guard Academy, but it's a really long process. I also have applied for the Army ROTC scholarship. It's nice to have so many options around the country though! :thumbup:

It might sound crazy, but only 1

Rutgers

SAT - 2270, 2280, (just took it again in Oct.)
GPA - 3.85 uw, 5.3 w (weighted is out of 6.05)

Members don't see this ad :)
It might sound crazy, but only 1

Rutgers

SAT - 2270, 2280, (just took it again in Oct.)
GPA - 3.85 uw, 5.3 w (weighted is out of 6.05)

Not even gonna try for an Ivy with those stats?

I also have applied for the Army ROTC scholarship. It's nice to have so many options around the country though! :thumbup:

How do you feel about ROTC with pre-med? I considered it, but it seems very hard to postpone the service requirement if you want to go to medical school... from my research.

How do you feel about ROTC with pre-med? I considered it, but it seems very hard to postpone the service requirement if you want to go to medical school... from my research.

When I interviewed with the Professor of Military Science at Purdue, I asked that exact question. When it comes down to it, serving in the military is very important to me (more important than even being a doctor), so I will take my chances! I'd be fine with doing my 4 years and then applying to med school.

Not even gonna try for an Ivy with those stats?

It's all about the money, man. Rutgers is going to give me a nice scholarship so I can coast into med school without debt :D

@ MarylandMatt

Is that your car in your profile pic? It's a very nice e90 :)

@ MarylandMatt

Is that your car in your profile pic? It's a very nice e90 :)

Thanks! I don't own it, but yeah it's technically mine. I'm surprised you can tell it's an E90 from the front pic. Sweet car, a 328i. Not the fastest but it's quick and doesn't get me in trouble. My realistic dream car is a Mineral White E92 M3 or 335i. They should be realatively cheap by the time I graduate college.

It's all about the money, man. Rutgers is going to give me a nice scholarship so I can coast into med school without debt :D

Yeah I definitely understand that. If your family makes under $100k, some Ivies would be essentially free with need-based aid. They give out the most. No merit aid though. If your family makes more, Rutgers would be a great choice especially considering that you'll already be near the top of your class there.

GPA:
UW - 3.7
W - 4.225

#1 - Ohio State University - Top choice
#2 - University of the Sciences
#3 - Virginia Tech
#4 - Salisbury University

I was going to apply to the University of Maryland, but I'm scared to lol.

Thanks! I don't own it, but yeah it's technically mine. I'm surprised you can tell it's an E90 from the front pic. Sweet car, a 328i. Not the fastest but it's quick and doesn't get me in trouble. My realistic dream car is a Mineral White E92 M3 or 335i. They should be realatively cheap by the time I graduate college.
The e92 m3 was my dream car, besides a Porsche :) But I missed the boat on an e92 328i or 335i, so I have to wait for the 2 series. But hey, I'm not complaining :)

@MarylandMatt
Definitely. The best advice I ever heard on these forums was to go to the cheapest undergrad you can (provided it's not community college).

Members don't see this ad :)
All UCs except for Merced, Berkeley, and Santa Cruz. USC, Stanford, and Pitzer College for private.

Top 3:
Pitzer Dual Admission Program
UCSD
UCLA

ASU/Barrett- Already accepted, finishing up Barrett appy!

ASU/Barrett- Already accepted, finishing up Barrett appy!

What do you like about ASU Barrett? I say this because I could go to ASU at a cost lower cost than any school on my list, and I believe that I have the stats for Barrett.

Well obviously more opportunities, better advising, getting to do your honors thesis, graduating with honors , more internship/research opportunities and for some the residential living.

Also they allow college juniors to apply again if they didn't get in the first time so that they can have a shot at the honors thesis and all that good stuff.

And lastly, the cost of attendance. Very cheap for instate, reasonable for OOS. Great Merit scholarships, and ASU has A LOT of research opportunities due to its size!

MarylandMatt, would you really drive to ASU?

I mean I'd go somewhere close to avoid not having a car or driving for HOURS (this is coming from someone who hated driving 18 hours though).
Also, you'd be near relatives who could help you out in an emergency.

MarylandMatt, would you really drive to ASU?

I mean I'd go somewhere close to avoid not having a car or driving for HOURS (this is coming from someone who hated driving 18 hours though).
Also, you'd be near relatives who could help you out in an emergency.

I would definitely fly. If I was allowed to bring my car freshman year, my dad would just ship it by truck. I just looked up the cost and it would be about $1050 to get it there in 6-8 days. My dad wouldn't have a problem with that when ASU is $40,000 cheaper than the private schools on my list.

I have a nice car and I'm definitely not taking it to college, too risky for me.

I'll lock my baby in my garage for 4 years where she's safe! :thumbup:

I have a nice car and I'm definitely not taking it to college, too risky for me.

I'll lock my baby in my garage for 4 years where she's safe! :thumbup:
I'm so scared to take my baby to college :( all those dings and dents...

I don't see how having a car in college subjects it to any more damage than in normal use. I'm still going to park away from others and be careful to keep it nice. I mean it's gotten 0 scratches from the high school parking lot so we should be fine.

I don't see how having a car in college subjects it to any more damage than in normal use. I'm still going to park away from others and be careful to keep it nice. I mean it's gotten 0 scratches from the high school parking lot so we should be fine.

I guess the question is why? I'm not sure how ASU is, but I do know at UMiami and all the schools around here, you don't really need a car. It's hard for a freshman to find affordable parking, and everything is usually within walking distance. There's a reason a lot of colleges don't even let freshmen have cars..... They're unnecessary!

Oh and if I didn't mention why you should come to ASU/Barrett, the Barrett dining hall is FABULOUS!

Oh and the girls are just a bonus :p

I guess the question is why? I'm not sure how ASU is, but I do know at UMiami and all the schools around here, you don't really need a car. It's hard for a freshman to find affordable parking, and everything is usually within walking distance. There's a reason a lot of colleges don't even let freshmen have cars..... They're unnecessary!

I know at Miami not much is within walking distance. I don't want to rely on public transportation if I don't have to. They don't let you have a car freshman year though, I'd have it the other 3 years.

My school parking lot has lots of nice cars, mostly Audis, Mercs, and Bimmers, but at Rutgers...there are more people than parking spots, people who key cars, all that jazz. I'm definitely scared of taking my pride and joy there

The community college that I attend has 14,000 students and there's all sorts of cars (from a 2014 E350 to a 1988 Buick Regal) on the parking lots. So yes, there's plenty more people than parking spots and no, I have never seen anyone's car get keyed nor have I ever gotten my car scratched.

Saw a Telsa in the ASU parking lot yesterday. Winning

Saw a Telsa in the ASU parking lot yesterday. Winning

there's a kid at my school who has a white Tesla. No one knows what it is, but apparently they get excited over the huge "TV" in the front :D

What are the advantages of Drexel BS/MD program compared to say UMD/GWU, say...
Would like to know if there is something outstanding at Drexel Medicine program.

I parked at ASU for four years and never got a ding.
Same with my brother! I totally forgot that you went to ASU, what was your major again? Sorry if you already answered this, I totally forgot!

Mad respect indeed.

Biochemistry was one of my top majors but now it's pharmacology & tox. :D

You're just switching a bunch huh? It's okay I'm the same way! I've gone from wanting to major in Bio, to Geology, and now to Political Science. I'll just stick with PolSci and take a ton of Bio electives, and if it doesn't work out I'll go to law school!

I just applied to the University of Maryland! With an international relations major and premed track in mind.

Submitted my Barrett appy yesterday! Feels great! WOOHOO!

mmmcdowe: I am planning on majoring in Biochem (Medicinal Chem) at ASU! Any helpful tips or just advice ASU specific?

Also, what are your stats? I could help you determine whether you'll get in or not based on your stats, I'm pretty good with that stuff. Personally, I have a 3.5 unweighted GPA and a 1990 SAT. My schools are as follows...

#1 = University of Miami (might apply ED)
#2 = Georgetown University (unlikely)
#3 = University of Maryland
USC would be my #3, but I don't think my parents want me to go that far away. It's hard to get into as well. Don't know if I'll bother applying.

Backups = University of Alabama, Florida State, Southern Methodist University, West Virginia University.

Are you from FL? Why not apply to UF or some of the other universities within FL?

I just applied to the University of Maryland! With an international relations major and premed track in mind.

I think I might like IR too if I end up not liking Econ. I love history/gov/politics.

Are you from FL? Why not apply to UF or some of the other universities within FL?

Assumed from my username that people would think I'm from MD. :p I'm from Maryland. Will definitely apply to UMD, very good state school just like UF.

I think I might like IR too if I end up not liking Econ. I love history/gov/politics.

I do too! I thought international relations could really bring that together with medicine. And I think the two can really go well together. Plus it's something I'm really interested in. And I love UMD. I'm from NY, but I just fell in love with the school.

I do too! I thought international relations could really bring that together with medicine. And I think the two can really go well together. Plus it's something I'm really interested in. And I love UMD. I'm from NY, but I just fell in love with the school.

Yeah, medicine isn't just tied to one country so they both draw a lot of parallels. Lots of internships in that field in DC, UMD is huge on its DC internships. Even if I don't decide to major in it, I'd definitely be open to a minor if I can still get the med/dent prereqs in.

Top Choices: UNCCH, Wake Forest

Second Choices: NC State, ECU, UNCW,

Safeties: Elon, UNCG

Submitted my Barrett appy yesterday! Feels great! WOOHOO!

mmmcdowe: I am planning on majoring in Biochem (Medicinal Chem) at ASU! Any helpful tips or just advice ASU specific?

Try to stack classes so that you have a MWF or T TH schedule. Don't buy an expensive bike, buy an expensive lock. Don't do physics and ochem together if you can help it. Dr. Pratt is the best Genetics teacher and Dr. Gould is the best Organic Chem teacher.

Try to stack classes so that you have a MWF or T TH schedule. Don't buy an expensive bike, buy an expensive lock. Don't do physics and ochem together if you can help it. Dr. Pratt is the best Genetics teacher and Dr. Gould is the best Organic Chem teacher.

Do you think it's even remotely reasonable to take Physics, Gen Chem, and Gen Bio together freshman year?