Where can I get my pre-reqs (already have bachelor's)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yogurt0531

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my bachelor's in nursing so I literally have to take every science class.
It just seems like the community college close to me, although has a good reputation, doesn't offer enough classes/the right classes. There is no general biology offered this semester or next semester.
Help!

Members don't see this ad.

I have my bachelor's in nursing so I literally have to take every science class.
It just seems like the community college close to me, although has a good reputation, doesn't offer enough classes/the right classes. There is no general biology offered this semester or next semester.
Help!

Closest university? I made the drive 44 miles both ways for two years to finish my pre reqs while working nights. Definitely can be done. I did my gen chem 1&2 and bio 1&2 at local community college and rest at university. Surely your college offers those classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I just imagined @FCMike11 saying back in his days, he walked 40 miles uphill both ways in 5 feet of snow to get to classes :p

In all seriousness, it seems incredible that a local CC doesn't offer intro level biology courses for the entire year.
@yogurt0531: care to share the college or at least the general metro area? Seems like you probably didn't find the right course catalog.
Closest university? I made the drive 44 miles both ways for two years to finish my pre reqs while working nights. Definitely can be done. I did my gen chem 1&2 and bio 1&2 at local community college and rest at university. Surely your college offers those classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I never cease to be amazed at the nursing programs that don't seem to require General Bio or a Chem as prerequisite for the other courses, like A&P, Microbiology, and Pathophys. I think it is a shame.

Well, good luck in your coursework.

Last edited:
This is somewhat relevant to my interests too. Non-science major here (took several bio and A&P classes as electives because I like science), law school grad and practicing lawyer. My schedule is 8:30-5:30, though staying until 6-6:30 isn't out of the ordinary. Add an hour commute on each end of my day.

I've seen the general wisdom here is not to take online classes...but how else can I complete pre-reqs? I've also seen that community college is frowned upon...but every university near me is a private university (including my undergrad) so I'd shell out triple the cash for classes.

Any advice is appreciated.

This is somewhat relevant to my interests too. Non-science major here (took several bio and A&P classes as electives because I like science), law school grad and practicing lawyer. My schedule is 8:30-5:30, though staying until 6-6:30 isn't out of the ordinary. Add an hour commute on each end of my day.

I've seen the general wisdom here is not to take online classes...but how else can I complete pre-reqs? I've also seen that community college is frowned upon...but every university near me is a private university (including my undergrad) so I'd shell out triple the cash for classes.

Any advice is appreciated.

Did you check for any Post-bacc programs that run in the evening in your area? I think I have even seen some WE types, depending upon locale.

You are right. If I want to achieve something I have to work hard. I'm looking at other ccs right now.

Did you check for any Post-bacc programs that run in the evening in your area? I think I have even seen some WE types, depending upon locale.
What does WE mean? I live in the Los Angeles area.

The general consensus is that taking your prereqs at a CC will make you less competitive. If you are applying broadly and you end up with a great gpa and mcat that's not an issue. If you are trying to get into a specific few schools however and you are at the top of the mcat/gpa scale, then having taken prereqs at CC might be the deciding factor that gives someone else the slot.

The general consensus is that taking your prereqs at a CC will make you less competitive. If you are applying broadly and you end up with a great gpa and mcat that's not an issue. If you are trying to get into a specific few schools however and you are at the top of the mcat/gpa scale, then having taken prereqs at CC might be the deciding factor that gives someone else the slot.
I feel that as a non-trad I cannot be too picky. I want to do a few pre-reqs and get into a good post-bacc program at a 4-year university. Does that sound plausible?

I just imagined @FCMike11 saying back in his days, he walked 40 miles uphill both ways in 5 feet of snow to get to classes :p

In all seriousness, it seems incredible that a local CC doesn't offer intro level biology courses for the entire year.
@yogurt0531: care to share the college or at least the general metro area? Seems like you probably didn't find the right course catalog.
I live in the los angeles area and the college is Pasadena City College. I also have the same feeling that I'm looking at the wrong catalog, but it just seems that I can't find the right one. :/

I'm not sure where you are looking, but I found these right away...

I would probably take the bio major sequence o10ABC instead of the 011 since it probably prepares you better for later courses in biochemistry and such.

https://selfservice.pasadena.edu/prod/pw_psearch_sched.p_search
Term: Spring 2016
Subject: BIOLOGY

BIOL 010A - CELLULAR BIOLOGY, GENETICS AND EVOLUTION
Prerequisite: Chem 001A.

Investigates the principles governing cell biology, metabolism, genetics, evolution and history of life on earth. The first course in a 3-course sequence for Biology majors (Biol 010ABC). For majors in biological sciences but open to all qualified students. Total of 54 hours lecture and 108 hours laboratory.
Transfer Credit: CSU; UC

BIOL 011 - GENERAL BIOLOGY
Basic concepts of biology, the cell, nutrition, a survey of physiological systems, reproduction, heredity, development, diversity of organisms, evolution and environmental biology. No credit if taken after Biol 001A, 002, 003, 004, 005, 010ABC or 011H. For non-biology majors, but open to all qualified students. Total of 54 hours lecture and 54 hours laboratory.
Transfer Credit: CSU; UC credit limitations. See counselor.

I live in the los angeles area and the college is Pasadena City College. I also have the same feeling that I'm looking at the wrong catalog, but it just seems that I can't find the right one. :/

While I agree that 4-yr university > CC, the difference seems to be overblown here on SDN, especially for non-trads.

If you could attend a 4-yr university with no issues around time, money, registration, etc., I'd say go for it. But don't stress over the small differences; even for schools that "do not" accept CC courses, you can petition for a waiver after the fact. The pre-requisites are not checked as part of admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I agree that 4-yr university > CC, the difference seems to be overblown here on SDN, especially for non-trads.

If you could attend a 4-yr university with no issues around time, money, registration, etc., I'd say go for it. But don't stress over the small differences; even for schools that "do not" accept CC courses, you can petition for a waiver after the fact. The pre-requisites are not checked as part of admission.

Agreed. I've had a successful DO application cycle so far (multiple II's, multiple acceptances) with a DIY post-bacc from a community college. Do not let the naysayers discourage you from utilizing a community college if one is available to you and has the required courses. It will be much, much cheaper--a fact you'll appreciate when you are gagging at the cost of submitting primaries and secondaries.

I'm not sure where you are looking, but I found these right away...

I would probably take the bio major sequence o10ABC instead of the 011 since it probably prepares you better for later courses in biochemistry and such.

https://selfservice.pasadena.edu/prod/pw_psearch_sched.p_search
Term: Spring 2016
Subject: BIOLOGY

BIOL 010A - CELLULAR BIOLOGY, GENETICS AND EVOLUTION
Prerequisite: Chem 001A.

Investigates the principles governing cell biology, metabolism, genetics, evolution and history of life on earth. The first course in a 3-course sequence for Biology majors (Biol 010ABC). For majors in biological sciences but open to all qualified students. Total of 54 hours lecture and 108 hours laboratory.
Transfer Credit: CSU; UC

BIOL 011 - GENERAL BIOLOGY
Basic concepts of biology, the cell, nutrition, a survey of physiological systems, reproduction, heredity, development, diversity of organisms, evolution and environmental biology. No credit if taken after Biol 001A, 002, 003, 004, 005, 010ABC or 011H. For non-biology majors, but open to all qualified students. Total of 54 hours lecture and 54 hours laboratory.
Transfer Credit: CSU; UC credit limitations. See counselor.
Thank you so much. Everything makes more sense to me now.

I never cease to be amazed at the nursing programs that don't seem to require General Bio or a Chem as prerequisite for the other courses, like A&P, Microbiology, and Pathophys. I think it is a shame.

Well, good luck in your coursework.
Thank you.

There's no CC's near you that offers your classes? I took all my prerequisites at my local CC except for physics.

What does WE mean? I live in the Los Angeles area.

I am sure that in a city the size of Los Angeles you will have multiple options during the evening as well as on weekends. I also know that there is a school in CA that offers every single prereq in a super accelerated format on weekends. You basically have class all day Saturday and Sunday and each class takes only a few weeks. It sounds miserable, but it could be a good option for some people. I don't remember which school it is but I'm sure you can google it to find out.

Agreed. I've had a successful DO application cycle so far (multiple II's, multiple acceptances) with a DIY post-bacc from a community college. Do not let the naysayers discourage you from utilizing a community college if one is available to you and has the required courses. It will be much, much cheaper--a fact you'll appreciate when you are gagging at the cost of submitting primaries and secondaries.

Now you are making me rethink taking my prereq's at a CC :) I'm paying out of pocket for them and its basically $1200 per class at University or $200 per class at CC. I need like a dozen classes so it's an extra $12k+ at university, which means I have to dip into my savings to pay for it.

Now you are making me rethink taking my prereq's at a CC :) I'm paying out of pocket for them and its basically $1200 per class at University or $200 per class at CC. I need like a dozen classes so it's an extra $12k+ at university, which means I have to dip into my savings to pay for it.

dude don't do that. take them at cc. I did pre-reqs at a cc and had multiple acceptances last cycle.

dude don't do that. take them at cc. I did pre-reqs at a cc and had multiple acceptances last cycle.

I actually like the CC too. The only downside ofc is that I can't get my actual degree there, so I still have to do 12 hrs of upper level course in religion at UNT. From what I'm reading you have to have permission for dual enrollment (if you want the credits to transfer) so I'd have to find out how that works out first, though I technically only need 1 of the CC classes for my degree, the rest are just prereqs for med school so it wouldn't matter if UNT chose not to accept them.

$200 per a 4 credit class at a CC? Wow. It's at least 2 that in many areas.

I completed a DIY PB at a 4 year university that offered financial aid for second degree seekers (but I didn't get the second degree). I completed tons of credits because I was a non science major. I was accepted this cycle, MD.

I took courses at a 4 yr because I was told that MD programs prefer it and I didn't want to take the chance of CC credit being viewed as inferior. It put me in debt (I paid little to nothing for my BA), but I don't regret it one bit. On the other hand, I guess I will never know if CC credits would have yielded the same results. I guess it's really up to you.