Where Can You Work with a Master's in Healthcare Administration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyer13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
In fact, one of the more common questions on Monster’s Healthcare Careers message board is, “What can I do with a master’s degree in healthcare administration?” most of them require 3 years experience !!

What should I do as first step after graduation of MHA?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't mean to be unhelpful, but after graduation is very late to be worrying about employment. Your internship during school should essentially be what you want to do with your degree, and it's very likely to be your best shot at a job. If that doesn't work out, you're not as likely to get a job off Monster as you are from your colleagues. So, hopefully, you were able to develop something of a network in your program; I'm assuming you're nearing graduation. The people you took classes with are mostly likely your best source of a job, or at least a foot in the door. If you don't have a strong network from school, administrative fellowships are a great route following graduation but they're usually pretty selective. If worse comes to worse, I think the military might still be looking for MHA graduates from AUPHA and CAHME programs, so you could always take that route. It's a job and they'll help repay your loans . . . The unfortunate truth though, is that without work experience in healthcare management, no reputable organization is going to trust you with too much responsibility. That's why most graduate programs require a certain amount of work experience before even starting. You'll probably need to take whatever position you can get (billing, HR, compliance) and work your way up. But, hey, at least you won't need to worry about going back to school some day for the graduate degree that's almost always necessary for higher level management.

Last edited: