Where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I had an awful freshman year. I'm a Biochemistry and Spanish double major. First semester I withdrew from General Chemistry I and Calculus II leaving me at 6 credits for the semester. I had an A and a B in the two remaining classes. In the spring I retook General Chemistry I for a C, withdrew from Elementary Statistics, got an A a B in my two other classes. I took General Chemistry II for a C in the summer. As of now my cGPA is 3.47. I'm unsure of my sGPA, but due to the GenChem classes I'm fairly sure it's low despite the credits I came into college with (from CC during high school).

As of now I'm doing very well in O-Chem. I'm doing well in General Bio I, and I'm acing my two Spanish classes. I fully expect to get straight As this semester. I intend to take GenBio II, O-Chem II, and two Spanish classes next semester.

I'm treasurer of my university's Forensics team, and I've been competing since freshman year. I'm involved in the Latino Wellness club, I'm a founding member of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers chapter of my university, I'm a member of the Chicano/Latin-American Student Association, and I'm a member of the North Star STEM Alliance.

I have no volunteering experience since high school. There are two places I have in mind: the local humane society and the local food bank. Do I need to volunteer at multiple places? Would it matter which I volunteered at? How many hours should I accumulate by the time I apply?

I've been unable to find opportunities for clinical experience. In high school I used to translate English<>Spanish, but I haven't been able to find any similar opportunities since moving away to college. I do currently have a work-study assignment working for my university's science fair department.

What do I need to work on? When should I plan to take the MCAT? What kind of schools should I apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like when you have a light load you are able to succeed, ex As and Bs. But you can't take 6-9 credits a semester and 1. Expect to graduate on time and 2. Expect to be able to show you can handle a rigorous course load.

I would say your best option is now, while it is still early, consider dropping the double major. Perhaps just majoring in Spanish and doing your pre-reqs at a slower pace so you can have a full courseload but not been too overwhelmed by multiple science courses every semester.

It's hard to choose the easier way, I know. But you need to do some self reflection and really figure out what kind of major, courseload and lifestyle in general will facilitate your success. Make the changes now before you add more Ws and/or poor grades on your transcript.

Take it one day at a time. Focus on your GPA right now, you have time to take the MCAT don't rush just so you don't have to take a gap year. Is better to have your gpa in a good place before graduating because if you need to repair afterwards, it's going to be expensive.

Also before taking on anymore responsibilities clinical or otherwise, you need to be able to balance your courses with good grades at 15 credits a semester.

For clinical opportunities start with your schools premed society/club, ask those ahead of you where they have had success. Then look at local clinics and simply reach out and let them know you would like to help in anyway. From there, local hospitals.

It sounds like when you have a light load you are able to succeed, ex As and Bs. But you can't take 6-9 credits a semester and 1. Expect to graduate on time and 2. Expect to be able to show you can handle a rigorous course load.

I would say your best option is now, while it is still early, consider dropping the double major. Perhaps just majoring in Spanish and doing your pre-reqs at a slower pace so you can have a full courseload but not been too overwhelmed by multiple science courses every semester.

It's hard to choose the easier way, I know. But you need to do some self reflection and really figure out what kind of major, courseload and lifestyle in general will facilitate your success. Make the changes now before you add more Ws and/or poor grades on your transcript.

Take it one day at a time. Focus on your GPA right now, you have time to take the MCAT don't rush just so you don't have to take a gap year. Is better to have your gpa in a good place before graduating because if you need to repair afterwards, it's going to be expensive.

Also before taking on anymore responsibilities clinical or otherwise, you need to be able to balance your courses with good grades at 15 credits a semester.

For clinical opportunities start with your schools premed society/club, ask those ahead of you where they have had success. Then look at local clinics and simply reach out and let them know you would like to help in anyway. From there, local hospitals.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Sorry I took a long time to follow up. I've kept busy the last month. The cause of my poor performance freshman year was severe depression and anxiety. There were points where I wouldn't leave my dorm for days. I got help over the summer after a failed suicide attempt, and I've been doing much better. I know I can handle the course load, and if I had gotten the help I needed beforehand I would have fared much better my freshman year. I've got five weeks left in the semester, and I'm still going strong.

I'm focused on fixing my GPA. Would it be better to graduate in five years rather than take a gap year? I'm uncertain of what I could do during a gap year, while simultaneously working and starting to pay student loans, to improve my application. I'm hesitant about dropping the Biochemistry major because I only have 24 Spanish credits left to finish that major, and I would not be able to combine enough of those classes in a single semester to be a full-time student because they're not all offered regularly. I could live with making it a minor, as it would only be 8 more credits.

I've started volunteering 2 hours a week. I'm helping Mexican nationals obtain their primary and secondary education through a program the Mexican consulate and UNESCO have put together. Next semester I'm going to start volunteering at the Food Bank downtown. I've also acquired two more leadership positions. I'm now Public Relations officer of CLASA and treasurer of SHPE.

I met with my Pre-Med advisor in October, and she told me that the three Ws on my transcript make admission into any MD school a long-shot. Especially because they were science/math. How much truth is there to that?

Last edited by a moderator: