MD & DO Where do I go next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

Accio

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest trying to hit some newer schools or those with a lower MCAT. In addition to the schools you listed, I would suggest Commonwealth, NYMC, maybe Drexel. I am sure there are others as well. Also make sure to apply to schools that fit you as an applicant, and not just those with lower stats.

Reactions: 1 user
+1 AllThatRacket. That's my contention as well. Make sure you can provide legitimate reasons to applying to that particular medical school. Be able to answer those questions without having to strain to find them. For example, I live in FL but my father and his father etc grew up in Philly, and my great uncle went to Drexel, so I have a legitimate reason to apply to Drexel with my 3.5/30 over just having the lower stats. Similar story with me and EVMS, but with my mother. Also, in my experience the lower stat schools want people to stay in a particular community or state, and I can see myself practicing in Pennsylvania or Virginia, definitely. Just food for thought

I'd like to see a bit more clinical volunteering; the medical missions will be discounted by Adcoms.

You're fine for any DO program, from Western to UNECOM.

For MD schools, definitely start with UConn and Quinnipiac, and also:

Rush
NYMC
Penn state
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
All new MD programs except Va Tech and Hofstra

Would you recommend applying to Loyola at all? Also, I've heard that GWU, Georgetown and Wake Forest have a high volume of applicants every year. Thank you so much for your assistance, @Goro!

Hmmm...I'm surprised that I forgot about Loyola. Yes, do apply there. I have friends on faculty at Loyola so I have a high opinion of the place. With GWU, G-town and Wake, you'll just have to consider the odds and the appeal of these places for you.

Would you recommend applying to Loyola at all? Also, I've heard that GWU, Georgetown and Wake Forest have a high volume of applicants every year. Thank you so much for your assistance, @Goro!