Where do psych residents moonlight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qqw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what options they have as far as different environments to moonlight in?

Also, I heard that ER's have psych residents moonlight. What is their role? Stand by until a psych case presents itself? Or do they help with all cases?

Members don't see this ad.

Totally depends on where you are living for residency. Some places have lots of options from covering inpatient units on weekends to psych emergency. Some places have almost no moonlighting available to residents. The psych ER jobs are going to be in a larger cities with a psychiatric specific ED, typically staffed with at least one psychiatrist, social workers and RNs. These are typically very busy, so there is little standing around. To my knowledge, there are no moonlighting jobs at your average ER for a psychiatrist, outside of possible contracting for periodic consults.

Also, I heard that ER's have psych residents moonlight. What is their role? Stand by until a psych case presents itself? Or do they help with all cases?
The former. And on some services they're just available for all hospital-wide consults (which tend to be rare outside the ED at night anyway.) They're not suturing lacs in the ED.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know my Psychiatry residency used to allow moonlighting wherever you wanted. But when the new chair and PD came in, moonlighting was restricted to monitoring a resident for weekend call at a satelite branch in a remote area of Louisiana.