Where do you draw the line?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strep mutans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The nearly-unanimous advice is "go to the cheapest school you get accepted to." I think we can all respect the financial wisdom behind that. But what if the difference between the cheapest school and your dream school is 10K? What about 30K? ...70K?

Basically, where is your personal "line in the sand" between choosing your cheapest school vs your favorite school (assuming they aren't one and the same).

Obviously this is subjective and dependent upon various personal factors. I just wanted to hear other people's views on this. Feel free to explain your reasoning. And let's try to make this a judgement-free zone, even though we are on SDN ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Since I want to specialize, I prioritize how easily I could do that from a certain school far above the tuition. Saving on tuition as much as possible is great but getting a competitive specialty means your ability to pay back that tuition is going to be considerably easier. Would I pay an extra 10, 50, 100K to go to a school that's P/F with a high specialization rate as opposed to a school where I would save more money but have to bust my ass for 4 years to be at the top of the class to specialize when that debt is going to get paid off regardless? Absolutely. But not everyone knows if they want to specialize (or are comfortable with larger debt), so I guess being thrifty makes sense. I'd probably throw down a buffer of about $60k as my limit between the cheap vs ideal option if I wanted to be a general dentist.

Reactions: 3 users
Obviously this is going to be different for everyone. But I think that reason why has to do with what your situation is. Married with children? You're probably putting that line a little on the farther side compared to someone who doesn't care where they end up.

For me personally, it's hard to say where that line is. I go to a veeerry cheap state school so every other school aside from the other state school is going to be 50k or more on paper. Yes my dream school is a hell of a lot more expensive than my state school but man I think it would match me perfectly as a student. Something I have to keep in mind is that I have a significant other I have to worry about and they need to go to a place with a decent location for their schooling/work as well so my line I think is around 50-60k because I kind of have to budge a bit on location if I can.

I'm not worried about a school for specializing since all the schools I've applied to have a decent amount of graduates that do. Personally, I don't think it's worth more than 30k to go to a different school that you find "better".

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The money issue will always be a part of dental school no doubt; everyone wants to save money, but I think sometimes it may be worth to throw down that extra 30-50k for the school you find "best" for you. Like Plasmamembrane stated, specializing has a lot to do with it, and so does your situational status as Weakfart pointed out. I guess you also gotta consider where you will be happy for the next 4 years. It's a big commitment wherever you go, so I'm a true believer that you gotta go wherever makes you happy. Although, "the line" has a lot to do with it. I'm not sure if I would spend more than 50k extra between a state school and private school, unless I HAVE to (which, I know a lot of people have to because they only get 1 shot with 1 school). So I guess it depends. It's hard to say since everyone is different. Just gotta be smart about it I guess. If you think "well 50k isn't that different from 60k, and 60k isn't that different from 75k", you might be shooting yourself in the foot. Don't get me wrong, there's a LOT of great schools out there that I'd love to go to...but would I be willing to spend almost 100-150k more? Most likely not. That's a LOT extra to spend, especially if you don't need to. It's tough, and it's surely an important decision all of us will need to make soon.

Well you're paying 50K for location. I'm paying 30K for a school that will prepare me better. Same same but different

Well I guess a good chunk of my 50k line is for a school that I find best, I had a higher threshold only because my SO would be paying for a good chunk of living while I'm in school, but other than that I think your cost line is pretty reasonable.

Oooooo interesting. I like this question. I'd say it depends on a few things. First I would think it depends on the amount of debt someone already has. Thankfully, I don't have much undergrad debt. If I did, I would have to seriously consider the cheapest option and try not to watch the debt pile as much. However, now I think I can make a decision based on location and whether I feel the school is right. I think saving is important, but I wouldn't go to school somewhere I didn't get a good vibe from or where I didn't like the program (or in a city I just don't think I can live in) because it's cheaper. That's 4 years of my life. It probably also depends on age. I'll be fresh out of college and I don't want to spend my next 4 years somewhere I hate. If you're older and have a family, though, it's probably a different story.
So ya. I guess we shall see on December 1. But I guess to answer the question, I don't know if I have a "line" quite yet. This was just all rambling wasn't it? Oh well. I'll check back in a couple months and let ya know.

Also I'm hoping for the NHSC to pay for me so this can all be moot anyway....:)

I have a feeling this post will be everyone's replacement for "Netflix and Chill" tonight haha.

Reactions: 4 users
Also I'm hoping for the NHSC to pay for me so this can all be moot anyway....:)

Ah, but I believe the timeline is such that you have to commit to a school before you find out if you get the scholarship. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to be wrong.

You can still apply for NHSC while in dental school, just like HPSP, but that would have you paying for at least one year (up to all four years if you never get it...).

Last edited:
Ah, but I believe the timeline is such that you have to commit to a school before you find out if you get the scholarship. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to be wrong.
Nah it's true. I can still begin my hope now though

It opens in the spring right? I think that it's a little silly to open so late... Like, how do I know if I want to go to a 400K school if I don't know I'll get the scholarship... So bizarre.
Out of curiosity, what scholarship are you guys referring to?

It opens in the spring right? I think that it's a little silly to open so late... Like, how do I know if I want to go to a 400K school if I don't know I'll get the scholarship... So bizarre.
I think it's to make sure you actually get into dental school first haha
Out of curiosity, what scholarship are you guys referring to?
(I almost don't want to tell you for fear of competition but) NHSC. Basically they pay for you to go to school, then you repay it by practicing in an under served area

Well I'd think in that case that you can apply in November or whatever, and then once December 1st hits and you actually have an acceptance letter, then you can turn that in for proof and get the moniessss. But waiting until spring/fall to find out... brutal. Who designed this.
Lol I don't know but you and everyone else should definitely boycott it

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it was worth a try
gtTAUzT.gif

I have yet to read the other replies. However, last week I glanced on a thread about private schools, and repayment plans, it was compelling enough to make me not think about dream schools that are overpriced. However prices are all relevant and can make you lean one way or another.

However you might think 30k, 50k, or 70k is not a lot in respects to getting into a "dream" school. But realistically it is a lot, even in the grand scheme of things.
Any amount of money over 500$ is a lot, since when have we all forsaken ourselves thinking obtaining money is painless. All of us are pre-dents so this holds true to everyone to some extent. Come 5 or 10 years and you most likely will regret the decision.
P.S. Going to dental school is not the same as being an investment banker in downtown NYC.

I have yet to read the other replies. However, last week I glanced on a thread about private schools, and repayment plans, it was compelling enough to make me not think about dream schools that are overpriced. However prices are all relevant and can make you lean one way or another.

However you might think 30k, 50k, or 70k is not a lot in respects to getting into a "dream" school. But realistically it is a lot, even in the grand scheme of things.
Any amount of money over 500$ is a lot, since when have we all forsaken ourselves thinking obtaining money is painless. All of us are pre-dents so this holds true to everyone to some extent. Come 5 or 10 years and you most likely will regret the decision.
P.S. Going to dental school is not the same as being an investment banker in downtown NYC.
Investment banking is known to be a much higher stress job than dentistry and with an inferior lifestyle. Many people opt for dentistry over medicine because the lifestyle is undeniably better, not to chase money only.

you need to figure out what your breaking point is, financially. only you know your resources and what you can contribute towards your tuition. so, with that said i have no definitive answer to this subjective question.

students are willing to pay over 100,000 dollars a year for a dental education. how this system is still running is beyond me. it pains me to see these u.s. news rankings say that dentistry is the number 1 profession. theoretically, it is--the ceiling of a general dentist's salary is extremely high. the caveat is that you're so swarmed with debt that turning a profit seems like a distant goal that can be obtained most probably by living like a single student into your 30s with your parents.

I'm going to assume that you are using the general "you" and are not referring to me specifically.

So is your answer to this question $500?

you need to figure out what your breaking point is, financially. only you know your resources and what you can contribute towards your tuition. so, with that said i have no definitive answer to this subjective question.

If you re-read the original question, you will see that I noted the subjective and personal nature of this topic. I was asking for other posters' own personal cut-offs not to find the definitive answer, but as an interesting discussion in itself. Do you not have your own cut off price? If you do but do not wish to share it, that's fine, but sharing it is the original purpose of this thread.

In hindsight, I should have created a poll for this thread...

And let's all remember the purpose of this thread is not to judge the financial decisions of others or tell them what they should or should not do, but merely to state your own personal "line" and the reasoning behind it (if you'd like). If you wish to have a discussion on the dangers of dental school loans, you are more than welcome to create a separate thread to discuss that. Not trying to police everyone, just trying to stay on topic.

If all you care about in life is money, go to the cheapest school. If you have a little more depth to you, go to the school that'll make you the happiest. Compare the total difference in debt after a 20 year pay back plan and if that number makes you feel sick, go to the cheapest school. If there is a school you think has notably higher quality of life, go to that school. Do you.

SDN-complex is a thing and you'll find logic "beating" heart on here 90% of them time. If I was getting into dentistry for the money/greed element I would definitely say the cheaper school is the way to do that, but I'm in it for the profession. Even if I'm making a modest salary after taking out my loan payments every month there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm really not willing to go past 270k for total costs unless I don't get into my top in-state choices. The price gap between my top choices and most OOS schools runs between 30-130k and I'm not really feeling that

Reactions: 1 users
Haha everyone's talking about expensive private schools when I'm just tryin' for public OOS. Guess the only difference is that at OOS public, there are some people getting a cheap price who could rub it in my face

If all you care about in life is money, go to the cheapest school. If you have a little more depth to you, go to the school that'll make you the happiest. Compare the total difference in debt after a 20 year pay back plan and if that number makes you feel sick, go to the cheapest school. If there is a school you think has notably higher quality of life, go to that school. Do you.

SDN-complex is a thing and you'll find logic "beating" heart on here 90% of them time. If I was getting into dentistry for the money/greed element I would definitely say the cheaper school is the way to do that, but I'm in it for the profession. Even if I'm making a modest salary after taking out my loan payments every month there's nothing wrong with that.

If you're in it for the profession, then you'd better choose the cheapest option available to you. Saving money will allow you the ability to take expensive continuation courses that will further your career like being able to place implants or doing more advanced cosmetic dentistry, allow you to hire more staff, and allow you to invest in dental technology. It is foolish to say that saving money is greed. You are borrowing from your future by spending it now if you go to an expensive school when you have other options.

The nearly-unanimous advice is "go to the cheapest school you get accepted to." I think we can all respect the financial wisdom behind that. But what if the difference between the cheapest school and your dream school is 10K? What about 30K? ...70K?

Basically, where is your personal "line in the sand" between choosing your cheapest school vs your favorite school (assuming they aren't one and the same).

Obviously this is subjective and dependent upon various personal factors. I just wanted to hear other people's views on this. Feel free to explain your reasoning. And let's try to make this a judgement-free zone, even though we are on SDN ;)

I would be willing to pay $50,000 for a superior school but not $100,000 or more. I think it's important to keep things in perspective and remember why you went into dentistry and not get caught up with trivialities like attending the most prestigious school. On the other hand, if the only school I was accepted to cost $400,000 I would still matriculate there and not wait to reapply another cycle. There's only so long a person can keep his or her life on hold, and it's much better in my opinion to become a dentist sooner than save tuition by applying next year with no guarantee of an acceptance.

I think this is tough because at this point it is monopoly money for most students. I weight cost as the number 1 factor, but it is far from the only factor. If I did it over again, I don't think I would even look at a school that would put me back over $400K, but that is just a ball-park estimate for me lol.

I think another important thing to remember is this:

If you were left in a position where the only school you got into cost 400k, would you still go, or would you wait til next year, to try to get into your state school which is half the price? Some people are big on "yes I would just go with the 400k school" and others swear by "nope". But then again, why would you apply knowing that the 400k school might be where you gotta do?

So I guess it's an ultimatum kind of thing.

It also depends on how you are financing your education. I feel like students who are taking out loans will be more willing to choose a school that is on the pricy side.

Investment banking is known to be a much higher stress job than dentistry and with an inferior lifestyle. Many people opt for dentistry over medicine because the lifestyle is undeniably better, not to chase money only.
You misunderstood everything I said. In summary the OP is arguing that 30-70k might not seem a lot, I am arguing it might not seem a lot to an investment banker.

You misunderstood everything I said. In summary the OP is arguing that 30-70k might not seem a lot, I am arguing it might not seem a lot to an investment banker.

You misunderstood everything I said.
OP is not arguing anything. OP is asking a subjective question with neither judgment nor assumption.

I agree w/ @Bereno - Seems like "monopoly money" right now.

This notion of cheapest vs. dream school would be something that I could answer, but the fact is that dream schools are just that- they look good only in your dream. Once upon a time, a great monkey named @Bereno told me that every school has its ups and downs.

And I think that, to extend upon that, what may SEEM to be a dream school could actually in fact have several problems that you may not have noticed. After all, how much information can the average pre-dental applicant (not an SDN user) truly get from just a 1 hour tour and a 4 hour interview day? Not much.

I guess what I'm trying to say is- deciding what your dream school is is frequently based on emotion, and emotions are mercurial. Facts, such as the cost of attendance, on the other hand, are not. They are 100% fixed.

Just consider the principle of Hedonic Adaptation- we will quickly adjust and reach a level of happiness no matter where we end up. So at the end of the day, while your "dream school" may "only" be $50K more over 4 years before interest, it's important to realize that you could be just as happy at your state school, except you'd save 50K+interest over the long run.

So in response to your question, OP. If I am fortunate enough to get selected for admission at a state school, I will go there 100 times out of 100, even if I'm accepted at my "dream school" (a private that shall not be named). Because I know that I will adjust and be happy no matter what, and my future self will thank me for saving it thousands of dollars of loan repayment.

I agree w/ @Bereno - Seems like "monopoly money" right now.

This notion of cheapest vs. dream school would be something that I could answer, but the fact is that dream schools are just that- they look good only in your dream. Once upon a time, a great monkey named @Bereno told me that every school has its ups and downs.

And I think that, to extend upon that, what may SEEM to be a dream school could actually in fact have several problems that you may not have noticed. After all, how much information can the average pre-dental applicant (not an SDN user) truly get from just a 1 hour tour and a 4 hour interview day? Not much.

I guess what I'm trying to say is- deciding what your dream school is is frequently based on emotion, and emotions are mercurial. Facts, such as the cost of attendance, on the other hand, are not. They are 100% fixed.

Just consider the principle of Hedonic Adaptation- we will quickly adjust and reach a level of happiness no matter where we end up. So at the end of the day, while your "dream school" may "only" be $50K more over 4 years before interest, it's important to realize that you could be just as happy at your state school, except you'd save 50K+interest over the long run.

So in response to your question, OP. If I am fortunate enough to get selected for admission at a state school, I will go there 100 times out of 100, even if I'm accepted at my "dream school" (a private that shall not be named). Because I know that I will adjust and be happy no matter what, and my future self will thank me for saving it thousands of dollars of loan repayment.

Some good food for thought. Thank you for answering the original question :)

I can definitely tell after visiting a city whether I will be happy or miserable there for four years. Happened when I visited colleges, probably going to happen when I visit dental schools. If I think I'd be miserable at a cheaper school and much happier somewhere else, saving the money isn't worth it to me. Being miserable --> hating dental school (because that's why I'm there) --> bad grades --> probably bad future dentist. Also food for thought.

Additionally, why bother applying to or interviewing at a school, even if it's a dream school, if you have no intention of going? It's a waste of money.

Reactions: 4 users
I can definitely tell after visiting a city whether I will be happy or miserable there for four years. Happened when I visited colleges, probably going to happen when I visit dental schools. If I think I'd be miserable at a cheaper school and much happier somewhere else, saving the money isn't worth it to me. Being miserable --> hating dental school (because that's why I'm there) --> bad grades --> probably bad future dentist. Also food for thought.
Yes, also good food for thought. People are affected by their environment differently and to varying extents. If someone suffers from serious seasonal affective disorder, they may struggle much more at Buffalo than at Nova; they may decide to choose the pricier school if they think their mental health (and subsequently their grades/graduation) is on the line.

Part of what makes this an interesting question, if I do say so myself ;)

Additionally, why bother applying to or interviewing at a school, even if it's a dream school, if you have no intention of going? It's a waste of money.
Soooooooooo true. The environment you're in is very important. After all, you're spending the next 4 years there..gotta feel comfortable! I have no doubt that his convinces people to pick a certain location for their school (even if it is a bit more). Heck, I did that for undergrad!

Yes, also good food for thought. People are affected by their environment differently and to varying extents. If someone suffers from serious seasonal affective disorder, they may struggle much more at Buffalo than at Nova; they may decide to choose the pricier school if they think their mental health (and subsequently their grades/graduation) is on the line.

Part of what makes this an interesting question, if I do say so myself ;)

Hey, we got sun here in buffalo once.

Why bother applying to or interviewing at a school, even if it's a dream school, if you have no intention of going? It's a waste of money.

First of all, Intent to attend depends on where you've been accepted. I intend to attend my state school and not a private school. Does that mean I shouldn't apply to a private school? What happens if I get rejected at my state school then?

At the start of the application cycle you do not know where you will get in. Dental school admissions can be a crapshoot and random for many people. Even 3.6+ GPA can be rejected from a state school. So you apply to your dream school because you like it and (in my case since it is private and easier to get into than my state school) to increase your chances of having at least one acceptance come Dec. 1. This only applies to dream schools that are less competitive than state schools.

I disagree with your claim that it is a waste of money because state schools are very competitive to get into, and having one or two "safety schools" which are comparatively less competitive can give you an acceptance in a cycle where luck is not with you.

I would argue that the lost income and practice growth potential from not going to dental school is more of a "waste of money" than a $200 application fee + additional interview spending

This goes back to the excellent, excellent question that @virtualmaster999 asked- what if one is only accepted at a 400K school? in my opinion, if I HAD to deal with that situation, AND I really really wanted to do dentistry, I would take the acceptance and do it. 4 years out of dental school, you will have spent 400K on a dental education and earned about 400K in income (this is very simplified calculation and does not include taxes or interest on loans). But if I wait another year, try again, and don't get a state school acceptance, I would have to go to the private school which is now 7% more expensive (cost of attendance constantly rises). So now I am borrowing more for an education that I will have one year less to pay off. 428K debt with 400K earned income after 9 years. And if I were lucky to get into state school, let's say it costs 250K (average public school cost of attendance), then I would be 250K in debt with 400K earned income in 9 years. or 250K debt and 300K income in 8 years. So ultimately, taking private right off the bat (this is for virtualmaster's question) at 400K debt 400K earned income in 8 years vs public school 1 year later at 250K debt 300K earned income is the decision. I say the second situation is only marginally better. HOWEVER TO BE CLEAR, I WOULD NEVER EVER ATTEND A 400K school on loans. I would choose a different profession or find a cheaper state school.

Last edited:
Because at the start of the application cycle you do not know where you will get in. Dental school admissions can be a crapshoot and random for many people. Even 3.6+ GPA can be rejected from a state school. So you apply to your dream school because you like it and (in my case since it is private and easier to get into than my state school) to increase your chances of having at least one acceptance come Dec. 1.

I disagree with your claim that it is a waste of money because state schools are very competitive to get into, and having one or two "safety schools" which are comparatively less competitive can give you an acceptance in a cycle where luck is not with you.

I would argue that the lost income and practice growth potential from not going to dental school is more of a "waste of money" than a $200 application fee + additional interview spending

I realize that. Usually a "dream school" is something that's seemingly less attainable than one's in-state school (unless your dream school is your state school, in which case I'm jealous and can we trade lives?). Could be an OOS public school, could be Harvard/Columbia/Penn. Statistically, being an in-state resident for a state school dramatically increases your odds of acceptance and it's usually more likely someone gets into their state school than into their "dream school". To me, "dream school" has a different connotation than "number one choice school". Perhaps your case is different though. You do you.

And I said nothing about safety schools. I think most people's dream schools and safety schools are different. But there's nothing wrong with those.

Yeah it comes down to an individual's ultimate preference. We are speaking based on two different definitions of dream schools. In my case, my dream school is MUCH easier to get into that my state school.

Last edited:
I realize that. Usually a "dream school" is something that's seemingly less attainable than one's in-state school (unless your dream school is your state school, in which case I'm jealous and can we trade lives?). Could be an OOS public school, could be Harvard/Columbia/Penn. Statistically, being an in-state resident for a state school dramatically increases your odds of acceptance and it's usually more likely someone gets into their state school than into their "dream school". To me, "dream school" has a different connotation than "number one choice school". Perhaps your case is different though. You do you.

And I said nothing about safety schools. I think most people's dream schools and safety schools are different. But there's nothing wrong with those.

Right, my dream school is Hogwarts. Unfortunately I am OOS and a muggle so I have no chance. Doesn't mean that I didn't apply anyway!

Right, my dream school is Hogwarts. Unfortunately I am OOS and a muggle so I have no chance. Doesn't mean that I didn't apply anyway!
Ya I heard their average GPA is a 9.75. Maybe you can try a post-bac and have a shot at next cycle!

Reactions: 5 users
What would you guys advise if you're intent on doing an 4 or 3 year HPSP regardless of where you go, but won't find out about it until you have made a decision on school?

What would you guys advise if you're intent on doing an 4 or 3 year HPSP regardless of where you go, but won't find out about it until you have made a decision on school?
Would probably depend on how competitive you are for the scholarship. Your stats, which branch, etc.

Would probably depend on how competitive you are for the scholarship. Your stats, which branch, etc.
Apply where you'll be happy, and worry about the scholarship afterwards. The scholarship is out of your control, so you should try to imagine where you;ll be happiest during the 4 stressful years of dental school

Plus it's hard to fulfill the letter of recommendation requirement...need one from a Headmaster or Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor. Unfortunately, money is tight at my school and we don't have access to those kids of professionals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're going for a 4-year HPSP, as long as you apply in time, you WILL find out about the scholarship before you have to put a final deposit on your school of choice down. Now if you apply late or are waitlisted and don't find out till the summer of matriculation in dental school, I would personally go for the cheapest school (as long as it has a decent reputation- some pretty bad schools out there that you should not touch even though they are low-cost).

For 3-Year, same advice: go to cheapest school that has good reputation.

Excuse my Rant below +pity+

ughh I hate this topic!!:bang::bang: Most pre-dent and dental students here are wrong on this issue!! Let me tell you from first- hand experience ; my husband graduated with 240K+ debt 6 years ago and the last thing and please believe me , the very last thing we think about is the student loan payment he pays every month and that's something he always says that if you think you will be a dentist who cant afford couple of thousands a month student loan money , you are not working to your full potential !!! I have to yet meet 1 good dentist who is struggling paying his student loan!!!! if you are passionate about your job and do your best for your patients , money would come and would have no problem paying your loans.

Excuse my Rant below +pity+

ughh I hate this topic!!:bang::bang: Most pre-dent and dental students here are wrong on this issue!! Let me tell you from first- hand experience ; my husband graduated with 240K+ debt 6 years ago and the last thing and please believe me , the very last thing we think about is the student loan payment he pays every month and that's something he always says that if you think you will be a dentist who cant afford couple of thousands a month student loan money , you are not working to your full potential !!! I have to yet meet 1 good dentist who is struggling paying his student loan!!!! if you are passionate about your job and do your best for your patients , money would come and would have no problem paying your loans.

There is a difference between 240K debt and 400K debt (current average private school cost of attendance). The payments on a 240K are more manageable than payments on a 400K. Plug this into a loan repayment calculator and you'll see.

Furthermore, your husband is six years into his career and he has picked up significant speed, procedural skill, and confidence. People just coming out of dental school still need to hone those abilities, so obviously their production will be lower than what your husband is producing.

And lastly, "Most pre-dent and dental students here are wrong on this issue!!"? I suggest you create an account at dental town and look at the discussion on student loans. 9 out of 10 dentists there will tell you to minimize, minimize, minimize the amount of loans you take out. This is something that several of us are trying to bring attention to for SDN pre-dents so that people can make a more informed and empowered decision. You coming here and making such a blanket statement to ignore the cost of attendance of a dental school is undoing all of their efforts to help predental students be more aware.

Don't advocate for people to blindly go into a 400K+ loan just because your husband is doing fine on a 240K+ loan.

Last edited:
How long does it take to hone new graduate skills, in your opinion?