Where do you keep your stethoscope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you have to find some amount of balance and obviously with psych boundaries are huge. Yes he's not your friend he's your pt, but also seeing the similiaries and acknowledging them is helpful for having empathy for him as well as breaking down stigma. At the end of the day it's a lot harder to lump all psych pts into the crazy bucket if you see them as people just like everyone else who happen to have a particular disease. I guess I don't see how helpful it actually is to put that label on people as their end all be all. Yes they have a disease, but it tends to come along with a lot of bull**** cultural baggage than other types of diseases and I think it's important to be cognizant of that stigma.
Definitely. My psych patients were normal by my standards. They just had issues which brought them here. They were honestly way easier to deal with than medicine patients.
Though the outpatient ones were way more annoying. Patients complaining about lifestyle issues and wanting meds to deal with it. I hated that part and didn't sympathize with them at all. Like, omg, you have to deal with problems we all deal with. Poor you

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely. My psych patients were normal by my standards. They just had issues which brought them here. They were honestly way easier to deal with than medicine patients.
Though the outpatient ones were way more annoying. Patients complaining about lifestyle issues and wanting meds to deal with it. I hated that part and didn't sympathize with them at all. Like, omg, you have to deal with problems we all deal with. Poor you
Validate and send to psychologist. Done and done lol. Everybody's got somethin' - doesn't necessarily mean that they need meds but I think a lot of people could benefit from therapy.

Validate and send to psychologist. Done and done lol. Everybody's got somethin' - doesn't necessarily mean that they need meds but I think a lot of people could benefit from therapy.
Agreed. I didn't mind those who just wanted to vent or be heard. It was the ones who wanted meds to deal with their first world problems

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. I didn't mind those who just wanted to vent or be heard. It was the ones who wanted meds to deal with their first world problems
I think for a lot of people with garden variety anxiety and adjustment disorder it's a short sighted solution and just taking a pill without any sort of therapy isn't actually the best idea in the long run. But therapy takes work real work and people are lazy

Reactions: 1 user
One of our interns was told this morning in clinic that if they ever showed up in clinic without their stethoscope again, they would be fired. :oops:

I think mine is in my car trunk somewhere, I keep a doppler in my pocket and have a cheapo one that I just leave in a clinic drawer.

Reactions: 2 users
Update: I lost my stethoscope. Oh well.

Truth. And I wanted to comment on part of his post in particular:

One of my current pet peeves is when interns/juniors start spouting off this kind of stuff - "flea collar", referring to medicine as "assassins", etc.

I recognize that it is an entirely learned behavior on their part, and some of my senior co-residents don't do the best job modeling for them. But I think it's absurd to foster this us vs them mentality starting on day one, to the extent that an intern feels entitled to cop an attitude to a medicine resident who is days/weeks away from being a board eligible physician.

/end mini-rant.

Our medicine residents are told to introduce themselves as Dr. XYZ on the phone and in person with everyone in the hospital (patients, other residents, faculty, etc). It is a source of irritation when an intern, actively killing a PE patient (well, actively not helping the patient since they are dieing on their own...) is calling a consult and when trying to coordinate care keeps referring to themselves as Dr. XYZ.

Reactions: 1 user
On rounds and during clinical duties, it's around my neck sort of, but it's really on my decently-sized traps. So even if I'm just wearing scrubs, the tubing doesn't touch my neck.

So the solution to not having the tubing touch your neck is to improve posture and do more deadlifts and shrugs.

my favorite was the student who carried his around his neck on inpatient psychiatry during which we never touched any patients. the weird part was he must have put it around his neck every morning but somehow never considered the absurdity of his actions.
Habit is a powerful thing. I've worn my stethoscope around my neck for years as an RT, since we don't have lab coats or anywhere else to put them and we kind of need them with every patient. It's going to be a hard habit to break.

my favorite was the student who carried his around his neck on inpatient psychiatry during which we never touched any patients. the weird part was he must have put it around his neck every morning but somehow never considered the absurdity of his actions.

I keep mine in my right coat pocket. I think I stopped carrying it my second day of psych. I replaced it with a banana, both for a counterweight to my left pocket and a snack.

Reactions: 3 users
I bought a stethoscope holder at scrubs and beyond. It latches on your scrub waste and holds your stethoscope. Ya know, if I ever use it.

Scrub waste? Sounds like you need to clean your scrubs more often.
:laugh: I meant:

THIS
755P_black.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep mine in my right coat pocket. I think I stopped carrying it my second day of psych. I replaced it with a banana, both for a counterweight to my left pocket and a snack.

"Why, as a matter of fact, it is a banana in my pocket."

Reactions: 1 users
(A) in general I find the hostile and derogatory attitude a problem

(B) More specifically, interns and junior residents don't know s*** themselves, so them acting superior and talking down to others ( who frequently have several more years experience than them ) seems absurd. In other words they haven't earned the right to talk s***.
I'll also say it doesn't help medical students, either. When we mostly deal with the mid levels or interns, it doesn't help when they say these things in front of us. At least attendings tend to refrain from saying things. Or from my experience. Which may not matter given my location.
By the end of third year I was like "so.... Everyone hates everyone. How does anything get done around here? And what specialty isn't hated? "

At least attendings tend to refrain from saying things. Or from my experience. Which may not matter given my location.

Attendings tend to be better at playing nice in the sandbox.

By the end of third year I was like "so.... Everyone hates everyone. How does anything get done around here? And what specialty isn't hated? "

Emergency medicine. Everyone loves the ED.

Attendings tend to be better at playing nice in the sandbox.

Emergency medicine. Everyone loves the ED.
Couldn't be farther from the truth. I like em, everyone except for medicine hates EM. OB/GYN particularly but ib4 "OB/GYN hates everyone"
Or that's been my experience and I doubt I'm wrong.

Couldn't be farther from the truth. I like em, everyone except for medicine hates EM. OB/GYN particularly but ib4 "OB/GYN hates everyone"
Or that's been my experience and I doubt I'm wrong.

My comment was written with so much sarcasm that it should have shattered your computer screen from the inside.

But apparently not.

I'll add an emojicon :shifty:

My comment was written with so much sarcasm that it should have shattered your computer screen from the inside.

But apparently not.

I'll add an emojicon :shifty:
I forgot to replace to battery in my sarcasm detector...

I failed so hard. But it's funny because now I am witness to the other side of my sarcasm lol

I'll also say it doesn't help medical students, either. When we mostly deal with the mid levels or interns, it doesn't help when they say these things in front of us. At least attendings tend to refrain from saying things.

I havent even started third year yet and ive heard classmates using "gomer"

1) It's heavy after a while. I know it doesn't feel like it should be, but it really does get heavy after a long day in clinic.

2) The oils from your skin will cause the tubing to break down, shortening the life of your stethoscope.

3) The bacteria from your stethoscope will get on your skin. Considering that could include MRSA and C. diff, that's disgusting.
I regularly sterilize my stethoscope with those anti-baby, anti-everything wipes. I do carry it on my neck which seems to be the standard in my ER. A few people do carry them else where due to neck irrigation or whatever which is completely reasonable. but I don't think it's an uncool thing to keep your stethoscope around your neck. exception being ortho no stephs on ortho.
I think he may be referring to this bogus study. One of our professors slipped it into his powerpoint. I think trying to fish your stethoscope from out of your pocket would take the most time.

Dr. Cool - draping stethoscope around the back of the neck may slow down medical examination reflexes
Family Pratice News , Feb 15, 2001 by Joanne M. Berger

Sure, it's trendy to drape your stethoscope around the back of your neck like a hotshot on "ER." But does that cool fashion statement slow down your auscultatory reflexes, compared with traditional, front-and-center stethoscope placement? Pondering that question and fortified with single-malt Scotch and beer, two Canadian researchers dreamed up a time-and-motion study that might settle the matter (Can.

Med. Assoc. J. 163[12]:1562-63, 2000). They pictured themselves recruiting 100 health professionals from each fashion camp, clocking the time needed to transfer the stethoscope to the functional position, and concluding that the cost of being cool was a 1.3-second delay. Extrapolating that to the entire Canadian health care system, 273,869 hours would be wasted per year if 80% of physicians, nurses, and other clinicians used the cool position--at a total annual cost of more than $20 million. Stop the madness! But how? Health officials might be tempted to appoint "stethoscope police," the researchers noted, but "the costs generated by the resultant bureaucracy would negate any positive financial benefit to the health care system." O Canada, glorious and free!
all i can say is lol. thank you for the citation.