Where do you want to practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellopeople

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, anybody near graduation that wants to move away from your home state?
Where are you going? Why?

I'm thinking about hiding from winter (Michigander here), but don't really want brutal summers and stress ulcers from competition. I haven't given much thought as to where I'd go though.

Members don't see this ad.

With so much oversaturation, I think I'll be heading to Antarctica soon.

8/10 of the d1's around me want to move to california...it's hilarious

Members don't see this ad :)
Well yes. There is heavy saturation in a lot of areas, and it may be unreasonable to expect retiring baby-boomers to alleviate that issue considering the increasing number of new providers being produced domestically and imported from abroad.

With that out of the way.... Where do people want to practice outside of areas of saturation like southern California? Not necessarily places that you'll make a killing like North Dakota, but general areas that you might feel offer a certain degree of balance? I guess what I'm saying is livability is just as important as saturation - but I don't often hear this mentioned.

Let's put it this way: Does anyone feel their home state is generally under-appreciated?

TX - def go to TX. There will always be a lot of people and a lot of money in TX.

I ain't saying where I'm going; I don't want all you guys setting up shop next door to me.

Reactions: 2 users
TX - def go to TX. There will always be a lot of people and a lot of money in TX.

I ain't saying where I'm going; I don't want all you guys setting up shop next door to me.

Lol. Fair enough.

glad you mentioned this. many others have talked about texas being the land of milk and honey for dentistry for quite a while now. why exactly is that?

lack of saturation concerns? state tax mechanics as they apply to what dentists are (business owners/self-employed)? what?

glad you mentioned this. many others have talked about texas being the land of milk and honey for dentistry for quite a while now. why exactly is that?

lack of saturation concerns? state tax mechanics as they apply to what dentists are (business owners/self-employed)? what?

You can charge more for procedures there. I think it's like 100 bucks per crown average more than other states,

I'm going to Washington state. No state income tax, higher average salary, and my home state.

I'm moving to a growing & economically sound city. I don't care too much about saturation; I plan to secure a foothold and grow in a place that is actually worth the effort.

You can charge more for procedures there. I think it's like 100 bucks per crown average more than other states,

I'm going to Washington state. No state income tax, higher average salary, and my home state.
With the downside of no malpractice cap in WA.

Good to know. Guess I need to get a good lawyer

I am going to an area in western Washington just north of Seattle. Its my home state and the stomping grounds of my youth. Not to mention it likely where I will be joining a practice haha.

Last edited:
I actually have family in North Dakota and New Hampshire. Wouldn't mind working in either of those states. It gets pretty cold there though but you could make a killing. I'm thinking probably go down to Tennessee because that's where my significant other grew up and that's where she wants to practice medicine. Wouldn't mind Texas either.

If I don't set up a shop next to you. Somebody will. :) Get used to being neighbors. You watch my front door and I'll watch your. ahha