Where for fast CME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lex81

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for how to get fast cme's. The most per hour, where would you go? Emrap, challenger, another? I need to get 100 in about a week. (I'm always on emrap but I've never done any cme for it... Now I'm paying for it!). What's the place with the most bang for the hour?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have already listened to the EM Raps, you can get a lot of CME very quickly. Just go back and take the tests for each month you listened to. At 4.5 hours/month, and about 5-10 minutes per test, you could bang out 100 hours of CME in a week without breaking a sweat.

Reactions: 1 user
What is free or already covered by a sunk cost? Are you an ACEP member? Find your journal subscription access and do all the free CME articles. Snag the articles on Medscape that give free CME (don't watch the videos - too long). Doximity has some free CMEs. EMRAP as above - if you already listened, do the tests. Do you read/watch/listen to anything else with CME attached? Just do the tests. Do you listen to Weingart's podcast? Do those tests. EMedHome has a lot of options in one site.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would second Medscape - easy to rack up the CMEs.

Do you have your own UptoDate account? Every time you search for something, you get CME.

And like WilcoWorld said, if you've already put in the time for EM:Rap, then get the CMEs...

This is a great thread. Any other ideas for some quick CME?

This is a great thread. Any other ideas for some quick CME?
I third medscape for very quick and easy small doses of cme, like quarter hour while on the toilet, or 1/2 hour here or their waiting in the airport, etc. Also, freecme.com

Of course you can knock out a whole year in a conference weekend (not cheap, or quick, though).

Also, remember most states give you a full year pass on cme if it's a year in which you took any board exam or were in residency or fellowship training.

Birdstrike, your post is pure gold. You're just dropping gold nuggets.

I third medscape for very quick and easy small doses of cme, like quarter hour while on the toilet, or 1/2 hour here or their waiting in the airport, etc. Also, freecme.com

FreeCME.com, I love free.

Of course you can knock out a whole year in a conference weekend (not cheap, or quick, though).

A whole year in one conference weekend? Forrealz?

Also, remember most states give you a full year pass on cme if it's a year in which you took any board exam or were in residency or fellowship training.

Does the fellowship have to be in your specialty and ACGME certified? What if it is just affiliated to a big name school?

Does the fellowship have to be in your specialty and ACGME certified? What if it is just affiliated to a big name school?
I've never seen any wording specifying that, one way or the other, so I don't know for sure. I suspect it's okay either way, but I suppose you'd have to call your state board and also ABEM, to be sure.

A whole year in one conference weekend? Forrealz?
ABEM requires 25 hr per year. My state requires 20. Taking a 3 day conference at 8 hr per day should get you pretty darn close. Expensive, though.

ABEM requires 25 hr per year. My state requires 20. Taking a 3 day conference at 8 hr per day should get you pretty darn close. Expensive, though.

For some reason I thought it was 100 hours. But I just checked: it's twenty five for my state. Phew.

Do you need CME the year after residency or do you get a grace period? Sorry, my state's website sucks.

Edit: I guess it depends on state, so I'll need to call them.

If you take your boards the year after residency, then just make sure you get CME for whatever board prep method you use. Then you're covered regardless.

What do others here usually consider a good value per hour for CME? Conferences rarely. CME products seem to have prices $200-300 higher than the equivalent product without CME. Which isn't that bad across 30-60 hrs. Might as well make it count if I do the work. EMPractice runs about 5 hrs per month and are usually good for bread & butter and practice review.

If you take your boards the year after residency, then just make sure you get CME for whatever board prep method you use. Then you're covered regardless.

What if I just used Google? Does this count? How do I prove it?

Also, how do I report this? Is there an online form somewhere?

Does the 25 hrs per state + 25 hrs for ABEM mean I need to do 50 hrs total? Or does one CME activity cover hours for both?

What happens if I don't do it?

thx

What if I just used Google? Does this count? How do I prove it?

Also, how do I report this? Is there an online form somewhere?

Does the 25 hrs per state + 25 hrs for ABEM mean I need to do 50 hrs total? Or does one CME activity cover hours for both?

What happens if I don't do it?

thx

And wikipedia and youtube? SDN?