Where is the info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankeebeckham

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to prep for my ortho interviews in earnest, and I'm finding there is a real lack of information on most of the programs. Orthogate and orthogunner reviews are sparse and really hit or miss and generally just represent the opinion of one guy who may or may not be biased. It seems unless you've rotated or known someone who is there or who has rotated, it is really hard to get a sense of the program and find out about the strengths and weakness, which makes it hard to prepare for the interview (Why do you want to come here--well, I'd like to be an orthopedic surgeon and it seems your program has a reputation of doing that to graduating medical students). So far, I'm just trying to glean what I can from the program website, but they all seem to think highly of their programs and they are all pretty generic (over the course of the next five years, you can expect to learn orthopedics!) Does anyone know any resources to get reliable reviews on the various programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel you on this...I'm a third year so not quite in the same spot but programs official websites all make them sound like the greatest but don't actually tell you anything about what really goes on there. I'm guessing no one wants to give a negative review and somehow have it linked personally to them and hurt their chances of matching.

That said...I'm tuned in in case we get some info here...

You pretty much said it, information is sparse, orthogate reviews are both dated (faculty and programs change) and biased. Your best bet is to speak with any of your buddies a year ahead of you whom have already matched or possible your home program attendings regarding their feelings.

You'll get the greatest sense of programs at the preinterview social.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree, and most programs do an overview introduction before interviews start. That is usually a good time to jot down some notes on things to ask about or areas the program prides itself on for the interview questions.