Where Should I Apply? - MD Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueDevilSung

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to SDN and I'm seeking advice on what medical schools I should apply to. I just graduated from college and am currently in summer school trying to retake some classes that I did not do well in, and then I will be taking two years off before I matriculate to medical school in 2017. I really want to attend either UVA or VCU, so hopefully I at least have a good shot at either one of those schools. Also I would like some advice on how to improve my stats.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.421
Science GPA: 3.261
MCAT: 28 (10BS, 9PS, 9VR)
Home State: Virginia
Demographics: African American
Degree: Bachelor of Arts in Neuroscience from Duke University

Extra/Co-Curricular Engagements:
Research/Lab: Biomedical Research 500hrs
Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation: Duke Hospital Shadowing 150 hrs (Hospital Shadowing in Anesthesiology, OB/GYN, and Emergency Medicine)
Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical: Hospice and nursing home volunteer for three years
Community Service Volunteer - Not Medical/Clinical: Taught first-aid through American Red Cross in local disadvantaged elementary schools
Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant: America Reads/America Counts (Paid Employment)
Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere: Director of Finances for Science Mentoring Organization, Freshmen First Year Advisory Counselor, Global Brigades Committee Chair
Paid Employment: Office of Undergraduate Admissions Student Assistant 10 hrs/wk
Other: DukeEngage 2012 Member: Non-profit work for 9 weeks in Jodhpur, India at women's health organization
Honors/Awards/Recognitions: Deans List (Spring 2014, Spring 2015)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Never get attached to two schools. But yes post your list. A smart list and you'll be competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
My top schools are: UVA, VCU, Georgetown, UChicago, Duke, University of Rochester

But all the others I am applying to are...GW, UNC-CH, Wake Forest, UF, Stony Brook, Eastern VA Medical School, VT, University of Maryland, Case Western, St. Louis University, Ohio State, Howard, Morehouse

Never get attached to two schools. But yes post your list. A smart list and you'll be competitive.

My top schools are: UVA, VCU, Georgetown, UChicago, Duke, University of Rochester

But all the others I am applying to are...GW, UNC-CH, Wake Forest, UF, Stony Brook, Eastern VA Medical School, VT, University of Maryland, Case Western, St. Louis University, Ohio State, Howard, Morehouse

URM admission works differently than it does for others so get Goro's and others who know betters input because there are schools they recommend for URMS they never would for others like OOS public schools that favor the home team. By and large I think your list is fine though.

You'll be fine.