Where should I apply MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent7873

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.77 science gpa, 3.84 cumm, 26mcat (8,9,9), d1 student athlete, 2 years research experience, 100 hospital volunteer hours, 100 non hospital volunteer hours, about 50 hours of shadowing a range of specialties and primary care. I realize my Mcat is not ideal and that it is very possible I will not get accepted to any MD schools, but I have no intention to retake this cycle. Any private schools I could apply to w/ slight chance of obtaining interview?

Members don't see this ad.

3.77 science gpa, 3.84 cumm, 26mcat (8,9,9), d1 student athlete, 2 years research experience, 100 hospital volunteer hours, 100 non hospital volunteer hours, about 50 hours of shadowing a range of specialties and primary care. I realize my Mcat is not ideal and that it is very possible I will not get accepted to any MD schools, but I have no intention to retake this cycle. Any private schools I could apply to w/ slight chance of obtaining interview?
What state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bummer.
MCW for a start.
Scour the MSAR for schools that take OOS applicants and whose 10th% MCAT is near yours.
Alrighty, I'll check that out. Do you know of any oos's right off the bat that fit that criteria?

Good point...I'm planning in throwing in Creighton and Drexel as well
For example, Chicago med has a 10th% of 27, but they get 13K aps!
Loyola has a 10th of 29 and they only get 10K aps. Thus, Loyola makes more sense for you than Drexel (with the same 10th%) with 14.6K aps.

You need to evaluate all variables and include any choices that are reasonable to you up until the number that is inconsistent with writing another strong secondary (or you run out of $).

With the best possible strategy and excellent communication skills, the chance of success for similar candidates is around 40%.

Avoid mission-based schools unless you match the mission!

Come back with a list and we'll be glad to take a look.

I don't suppose I can talk you into a gap year with a dedicated MCAT review or DO application?

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyola has a 10th of 29 and they only get 10K aps. Thus, Loyola makes more sense for you than Drexel (with the same 10th%) with 14.6K aps.

You need to evaluate all variables and include any choices that are reasonable to you up until the number that is inconsistent with writing another strong secondary (or you run out of $).

With the best possible strategy and excellent communication skills, the chance of success for similar candidates is around 40%.

I don't suppose I can talk you into a gap year with a dedicated MCAT review or DO application?

I have my DO list, and will definitely consider that if no md schools workout. Really do not want to take a year off. No problem with going DO, but MD is my first choice as I want to avoid taking both MD and DO boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my DO list, and will definitely consider that if no md schools workout. Really do not want to take a year off. No problem with going DO, but MD is my first choice as I want to avoid taking both MD and DO boards.
No problem, then. Good luck.

Anyway, my list may be Rush, creighton, George Washington, MCA, Drexel (family went there, I want to apply), quinipiac, Rosalind Franklin, uvm, Tufts (Maine tract...obviously highly unlikely), Temple...any thoughts?

Anyway, my list may be Rush, creighton, George Washington, MCA, Drexel (family went there, I want to apply), quinipiac, Rosalind Franklin, uvm, Tufts (Maine tract...obviously highly unlikely), Temple...any thoughts?
MCAT?
Might as well add Jeff if you're applying to Drexel and Temple.
If Creighton, why not SLU and Loyola.
If Netter, then TCMC

Last edited by a moderator:
MCA?
Might as well add Jeff if you're applying to Drexel and Temple.
If Creighton, why not SLU and Loyola.
If Netter, then TCMC
I feel like 10 schools is getting to be in my $ range, especially since I have 8 DO schools I'm also applying to... So trying to pick best options

I can't recommend applying to MD school with a 26. I'ts below the 10th %ile for nearly all schools, except the "lucky states'< like lA or KS, and you have no chance for them, since you're not from those states.

You're fine for DO programs if you apply broadly. Skip Western, CCOM, AZCOM and the coastal Touros.

Hello sdners, I just wanted to give a quick update as I'm sure other people are in a similar position to me. I currently have 3 interviews (2 DO, 1 MD). Maybe I'll get more, maybe not, it still seems fairly early in the cycle. One thing I noticed is that the DO Mcat avg's seem to have increased quite a bit over a 2 year period. Both of my DO interview schools have a 29 avg for the current class profile which I only expect to increase. Guess will see what ends up!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello sdners, I just wanted to give a quick update as I'm sure other people are in a similar position to me. I currently have 3 interviews (2 DO, 1 MD). Maybe I'll get more, maybe not, it still seems fairly early in the cycle. One thing I noticed is that the DO Mcat avg's seem to have increased quite a bit over a 2 year period. Both of my DO interview schools have a 29 avg for the current class profile which I only expect to increase. Guess will see what ends up!!
You received an OOS MD interview already w/ a 26 MCAT (no offense intended)? Are you URM?

Haha I know I was surprised too no offense taken. No I'm not URM, though I tend to believe my undergrad school has a strong connection with the MD school.

Haha I know I was surprised too no offense taken. No I'm not URM, though I tend to believe my undergrad school has a strong connection with the MD school.
On one other note, I submitted the primaries first day they could be submitted, and I sent in just about every secondary I received within about 24 hours...did a bit of hw ahead of time.

Perhaps you've run into some adcoms who know what a D1 athlete is ;)

Mind me asking where your interviews are at? Good luck

I can't recommend applying to MD school with a 26. I'ts below the 10th %ile for nearly all schools, except the "lucky states'< like lA or KS, and you have no chance for them, since you're not from those states.

You're fine for DO programs if you apply broadly. Skip Western, CCOM, AZCOM and the coastal Touros.
Well, at the end of the day, I had 4 DO Interviews, 2 MD interviews, 3 DO acceptances, one MD wait list, and one MD acceptance (oos I might add). Very happy with how this all turned out. Every now and then, someone beats the odds ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Well, at the end of the day, I had 4 DO Interviews, 2 MD interviews, 3 DO acceptances, one MD wait list, and one MD acceptance (oos I might add). Very happy with how this all turned out. Every now and then, someone beats the odds ;)
Any details you'd care to share to help others in your situation?

Do you mind sharing which MD schools? Great stuff, congratulations all around