Where Should I Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

potazzium21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
_

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
514 is a 33 on the old scale

Schools to consider include the following. Not an exhaustive list, just something to get you started.

Reaches:
Duke
UNC (likely a reach, maybe target)
UVA
Emory

Targets:
VCU
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
VA Tech

"Safeties"
ECU
EVMS
TCMC (Commonwealth)
MUSC

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, you think UNC is a reach? My MCAT is right at their average so it's certainly no guarantee, but I thought I would have a decent shot.

That's why I said maybe a target. It's a competitive school and you're around their averages, but I don't think it's "safe" enough to just throw it into a target. It could be though. Regardless, you should definitely apply there, seeing as you go there for undergrad and your stats line up.

Are you an NC resident?

Here is what I might I give consideration to or at least here is how I might think/ approach this Assuming you are a NC resident

Brody
UNC
Wake

Tulane
Miami
Oakland
Medical college Wisconsin
Albany
Quinnipac
Penn State
Creighton
Saint Louis

Emory
Rochester
USC
Einstein
Boston U
Hofstra
Emory
Duke
Case western

Group 1 is your NC schools. No brainer apply to all 3

Group 2 is lower tier schools. I tried to pick those without any significant IS bias and those that don't get swamped with tons of apps or are low yield due to small class sizes. This eliminates a lot of lowe tiers like Drexel GW Va Tech Western Michigan etc which you don't really need

Group 3 is your reaches. Nothing wrong with aiming a little high. I think a 3.75/33 from UNC with a good resume like yours might have a shot at being competitive at these

You all in all want about a dozen schools with a fair to realistic shot of interviewing at. Group 1 and 2 can provide that

I suggest the following:

U VM
USF Morsani (maybe)
Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.
Your state school(s).
Any DO program, starting with CUSOM

White Male
UNC-Chapel Hill
Biochemistry (B.S.), biology minor
GPA - 3.752
sGPA - 3.683
MCAT - 514 (129/128/129/128) (91%)

LOR's = decent from chemistry professor, pretty strong from math professor, very strong from literature professor. Will also probably try to get a good one from the PI at my clinical research job.

Health/Science Activities =
hospital volunteering (~150 hours)
summer camp for kids with muscular dystrophies (1 week)
limited shadowing (will get more during gap year)
clinical research job with cardiology (really involved in this, should be able to get my name on a paper or 2 before applying)
Used to work in a biochemistry lab doing protein purification/NMR
**want to get a job during gap year that gives me more clinical experience (EMT or CNA, probably)

Extracurriculars =
Co-president of student-run tutoring club that goes to local K-12 public schools
Volunteer in chemistry center at school; provide tutoring/offer course advice

Probably going to apply to UNC, Duke, UVA, ECU, Charleston SC... not sure about others.