Where to apply/what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Louis C.K.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
`

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats and your activities look pretty good. I think if you make a strategic list of schools you should find some success. I think your best bet is to purchase the MSAR and see which schools seem like a good fit based on stats and activities. I'd say apply to mostly mid-tier, with a few high (you have good research) and low tier. Good luck!

MSAR: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/

Apply early and broadly and you'll have success. Get the MSAR. Eliminate schools that heavily favor in state applicants. Apply to the programs with stats similar to yours (a mix of below, at and above would be wise). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Chance me!

-24 years old working as a pharmaceutical production chemist
-30 (11 PS, 8 VR, 11 BS) and 33 MCAT (9 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS)-second take
-3.72 AMCAS GPA (cumulative and science)
-200-300 hours volunteering in a hospital (About 120 in a palliative care/hematology/BMT/oncology wing and the rest in the E.R.) - [currently involved]
-Job shadowing of a vascular surgeon, cosmetic surgeon, and internal medicine doc [currently involved]
-volunteer tutor/mentor for 2-3 hours per week working with underserved high school kids - [currently involved]
-3 years of neuroscience research experience as an undergrad where I was author on two abstracts featured at biophysics conferences
-community service work throughout undergrad in habitat for humanity and tutoring other undergrads

Any advice on where to apply or if my credentials need strengthening would be highly appreciated!
Some peer leadership would be nice to see, especially if you want to appeal to top schools that aim to train future leaders in medicine.

Besides schools in your home state, other schools in your range to check out for fit (especially if they don't average multiple MCAT scores):
Sinai, Duke, Case, Baylor, Mayo, SLU, NYU, Brown (check on regional bias),

Emory, UCentral Florida, Ohio State, Iowa, BU, UMinn,

Rochester, MCW, Miami, Einstein, SUNY Downstate, UMaryland, Loma Linda (requires lifestyle contact), Georgetown, UConn, Loyola, Stony Brook,

UKentucky (if state ties), UWisc, Rush, Tufts, Cincinnati, Jefferson, Keck, FIU, Virginia Tech (newer, research focus), Temple, Colorado (prefers 400+ hr clinical&nontrads), Albany, GWU.

Some peer leadership would be nice to see, especially if you want to appeal to top schools that aim to train future leaders in medicine.

Besides schools in your home state, other schools in your range to check out for fit (especially if they don't average multiple MCAT scores):
Sinai, Duke, Case, Baylor, Mayo, SLU, NYU, Brown (check on regional bias),

Emory, UCentral Florida, Ohio State, Iowa, BU, UMinn,

Rochester, MCW, Miami, Einstein, SUNY Downstate, UMaryland, Loma Linda (requires lifestyle contact), Georgetown, UConn, Loyola, Stony Brook,

UKentucky (if state ties), UWisc, Rush, Tufts, Cincinnati, Jefferson, Keck, FIU, Virginia Tech (newer, research focus), Temple, Colorado (prefers 400+ hr clinical&nontrads), Albany, GWU.
Great! Thanks so much for your advice!

Numbers are good for all low-tier MD programs, your state school (unless CA) and most new MD programs. You're fine for all DO programs as well, including mine. Invest in MSAR and apply strategically.

-24 years old working as a pharmaceutical production chemist
-30 (11 PS, 8 VR, 11 BS) and 33 MCAT (9 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS)-second take
-3.72 AMCAS GPA (cumulative and science)

ECs look really good. I especially appreciate the palliative care experience. You don't see too many applicants with experience with the dying.

-200-300 hours volunteering in a hospital (About 120 in a palliative care/hematology/BMT/oncology wing and the rest in the E.R.) - [currently involved]
-Job shadowing of a vascular surgeon, cosmetic surgeon, and internal medicine doc [currently involved]
-volunteer tutor/mentor for 2-3 hours per week working with underserved high school kids - [currently involved]
-3 years of neuroscience research experience as an undergrad where I was author on two abstracts featured at biophysics conferences
-community service work throughout undergrad in habitat for humanity and tutoring other undergrads