MD & DO Where to apply? where's my home state? PLEASE HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittleBabyMeeps

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an asian female, graduating in this May.
cGPA 3.57, MCAT 31 (PS 12, V 10, B 9)
My GPA went down in my sophomore year, (was alright in freshmen year) but ever since it has been going up, and last semester I got 4.0. Really working on it.

Major: Engineering Science, Chemistry (Double majored)
Minor: Biological Science

Research:
-Summer research intern under my chemistry advisor (analytical chemistry)
-Semester long biochemistry research
-Semester long biomechanics (engineering heavy) research
-other short research projects (microbiology etc.)

ECs:
-Chemistry TA/tudor for 3 years. (I was mostly a lab TA)
-Biomedical engineering club vice president (1yr)
-women in science and engineering club president (1yr)
-summer volunteering at hospital (~20hrs)
-shadowing a cardiac surgeon and a general surgeon (~40 hrs)
-Local Piano Competition winner (college level)
-Local orchestra piano soloist (auditioned, and selected as a finalist, it was a competition)
-volunteer to teach low income piano students (1 hr a week for a year)
-teaching piano for last 4 years
-Piano accompanist for 4 years (doing this for free! for school's music program)
-Senior Recital in this April (Usually only music majors gets to have one, and I think I was most active music student at school (competitions etc.), even though I wasn't a music student.)

I think my ECs are not very traditional, but is it bad? I know it's not necessarily medical related, but I was doing what I like to do. I invested lots of time in music and science.

I went to high school in California, but now married to a Minnesota resident, and go to school in Iowa. Since I am married, I have an apartment out here and have Iowa license (starting last summer) now. We will relocate to Minnesota as soon as I graduate and live and work there until I find a med school to go. I have a green card but not a U.S. citizen. I don't know which state counts as my home state. I am really confused. My parents do not reside in U.S. anymore. It's complicated.

These are some of the schools that I chose, but can some one please help me with the list? and I would appreciate any advice on what to improve. I would like to be in either Minnesota or California, but I am open to any big city areas.

U of M twin cities
U of M Duluth
Loma Linda
Western U (D.O.)
UC Riverside
UC Davis
California Northstate University College of Medicine
U of Washington
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
SUNY downstate
SUNY upstatae
Rush Medical School
U of Illinois Chicago
Rosalid Franklin
Herbert Wertheim
The Charles E Schimdt
Leonard M Miller
Arizona College of Medicine
university of arizona phoneix

THANKS SO MUCH!

Members don't see this ad.

My GPA went down in my sophomore year, (was alright in freshmen year) but ever since it has been going up, and last semester I got 4.0. Really working on it.

Research:

ECs:
-Local orchestra piano soloist (auditioned, and selected as a finalist, it was a competition)
-Piano accompanist for 4 years (doing this for free! for school's music program)
-Senior Recital in this April (Usually only music majors gets to have one, and I think I was most active music student at school (competitions etc.), even though I wasn't a music student.)

I think my ECs are not very traditional, but is it bad? I know it's not necessarily medical related, but I was doing what I like to do. I invested lots of time in music and science.

I went to high school in California, but now married to a Minnesota resident, and go to school in Iowa. Since I am married, I have an apartment out here and have Iowa license (starting last summer) now. We will relocate to Minnesota as soon as I graduate and live and work there until I find a med school to go. I have a green card but not a U.S. citizen. I don't know which state counts as my home state. I am really confused. My parents do not reside in U.S. anymore. It's complicated.

These are some of the schools that I chose, but can some one please help me with the list? and I would appreciate any advice on what to improve. I would like to be in either Minnesota or California, but I am open to any big city areas.

U of M twin cities
U of M Duluth
Loma Linda
Western U (D.O.)
UC Riverside
UC Davis
U of Washington
SUNY downstate
SUNY upstatae
Rush Medical School
U of Illinois Chicago
Rosalid Franklin
Herbert Wertheim
The Charles E Schimdt
Leonard M Miller

THANKS SO MUCH!
Cut Duluth (no strong ties to rural MN), Washington (STRONGLY favor in-state and WWAMI), Northstate (no medical school), and make sure you have no issues with Loma Linda's code of conduct.

I am not certain how to answer the residency question but if your spouse is a Minnesota resident you should be able to claim residency once you relocate there. These are the schools on your list that you have a realistic chance for an interview.
U of M twin cities
U of M Duluth
Loma Linda
Western U (D.O.)
Rush Medical School
Rosalind Franklin
Herbert Wertheim
The Charles E Schimdt
Leonard M Miller

Consider adding Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Tulane, New York Medical College, Albany, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, GW, Georgetown, Medical College of Wisconsin, Quinnipiac.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
20 hours of clinical work is really low! You need to get more ASAP! Your ECs show almost no interest in medicine and certainly no passion for pursuing med as a career!

Research:

ECs:

U of M twin cities
U of M Duluth
Loma Linda
Western U (D.O.)
UC Riverside
UC Davis
U of Washington
SUNY downstate
SUNY upstatae
Rush Medical School
U of Illinois Chicago
Rosalid Franklin
Herbert Wertheim
The Charles E Schimdt
Leonard M Miller

THANKS SO MUCH!
You didn't mention your BCPM GPA.

If 20 hours of hospital volunteering (hopefully with patient interaction) and 40 hours of surgical shadowing (hopefully mostly in an office setting) are your sole sources of active and passive clinical experience, I suspect your application may not pass screening at most institutions, as it looks like you have barely tested medicine as a career. Can you beef those up more before applying?

Also, since you have a few other Chicago area schools on your list, why not add CCOM (DO)?

Reactions: 2 users
1) Get more clinical hours ASAP, your non-clinical volunteering is adequate but you need more medical exposure
2) While you're not weak in any other area, you don't really stand out either. Your stats aren't too low by any means, but you don't have a "standout" aspect to your application like a 4.0 or a high MCAT or a whole bunch of publications or a lengthy record of altruism/service.

I know U of MN will no longer accept international students, but I don't know if your current status makes you an international student or not. I would definitely investigate this at schools you will apply to in order to make sure you even qualify.

Rush Medical School
Rosalind Franklin
Herbert Wertheim
The Charles E Schimdt
Leonard M Miller

Consider adding Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Tulane, New York Medical College, Albany, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, GW, Georgetown, Medical College of Wisconsin, Quinnipiac.
This place is nowhere near ready for incoming students.