Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meadows22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Below are my stats. My GRE score is not perfect and is limiting my choices for schools. I want to apply to 10 schools all together and I'm looking for suggestions on two more schools. The only states I can't go to is TX, NM, AZ, AL, IA, KS, NY, or NV.

University: University of Maryland University College
Major: Psychology
Minor: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: V:151 Q: 148 AW: 4.0

Extra-Curric: Wounded Warrior Project, Red Cross, Relay for Life, Alpha Sigma Lambda Tau Chapter Honor Society

Volunteer: 180 hours in various settings (Inpatient, Outpatient, Aquatics and Pediatrics)

I am going to be applying to USD, UNF, UCF, Shenendoah, Chatham, NOVA Southeastern, University of Nebraska and Lynchburg College.

Members don't see this ad.

What's your state residency? That's a big factor to consider. Many state schools hardly accept any out of state students.

if a school states their GRE min is 150 don't bother applying. they won't even look at your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apply to any out-of-state schools. Unless you're an exceptional student, you won't be accepted and you'll pay too much in tuition to attend that school.

Reactions: 1 user
I wasn't planning on applying to schools that have a minimum of 150 because I don't have that. I'm a Florida resident and I'm applying to a few out of state schools. I'm a veteran and will receive in-state tuition in many states even though I'm not a resident there. I'll be using my GI Bill for two years of grad school so I'm not worried about the tuition honestly. I won't have any student debt when I enter grad school. I didn't realize how hard it was to get into out of state schools so on the note I think I will apply to more Florida schools. Thanks for the comments!

Yes, many state schools only accept less than 5 students (or around there) from out of state in a class of 50. So those out of state students are usually the highest tier on application competitiveness level. It's time and money to apply so i wouldn't waste time on those outside shots.