Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDHopefulIA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 511 130/124/130/127
cGPA= 3.95 sGPA= 4.00

Pennsylvania resident, go to school in florida though.
shadowed dermatologist, worked and shadowed in psychiatric clinic
hella volunteering in hospital... but that was high school
member of elite leadership group in college (we work with the president of the school)
member of science outreach group
eboard for physics club
writing tutor
honors college, deans list

And also is the 124 CARS a filter for me? And would any of you advise a retake?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
applying now. list: temple, drexel, jefferson, miami, FIU, penn state, commonwealth, maybe dartmouth as a reach

You are a good candidate for the PA schools. Also consider these schools:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Hofstra
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Hofstra
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Sounds good thank you. do you think dartmouth and UM are too high of reaches?

Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Hofstra
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
also, would you consider UNC tough because of their in state tendency ?

Dartmouth would be fine but UM and UNC favor their own state residents and their own undergraduates.
ok thank you. but do you think the 124 in CARS will screen me out?

For most schools no but it is difficult to predict for any one particular school.
and is screen out, by definition, not giving a secondary? because that is indicated in MSAR so I can figure which ones will or wont.

Very few schools screen before secondaries.
so when they screen is it after secondaries? and is there a screening number (124 125 something like that depending on the section) that you are aware of? I am debating retaking the exam only because of CARS so I do not get screened out for the schools that I had mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake until you try a cycle, but at least prepare for a retake just in case.

I suggest:

Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Rosy Franklin
NYMC

MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland-B

Any DO program, starting with PCOM, Nova and both LECOMs
All FL schools.

MCAT: 511 130/124/130/127
cGPA= 3.95 sGPA= 4.00

Pennsylvania resident, go to school in florida though.
shadowed dermatologist, worked and shadowed in psychiatric clinic
hella volunteering in hospital... but that was high school
member of elite leadership group in college (we work with the president of the school)
member of science outreach group
eboard for physics club
writing tutor
honors college, deans list

And also is the 124 CARS a filter for me? And would any of you advise a retake?
Thanks!

so when they screen is it after secondaries? and is there a screening number (124 125 something like that depending on the section) that you are aware of? I am debating retaking the exam only because of CARS so I do not get screened out for the schools that I had mentioned.
Yes, they screen after secondaries.
There are few schools where your overall application would be considered that would reject you for the 124 in CARS.

Yes, they screen after secondaries.
There are few schools where your overall application would be considered that would reject you for the 124 in CARS.
i'm assuming those are like the top 20-30's?

Don't retake until you try a cycle, but at least prepare for a retake just in case.

I suggest:

Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Rosy Franklin
NYMC

MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland-B

All FL schools.
thank you for the list... but if i were to get acceptance to a DO this round and no MD, but I know if I retook the mcat I could get MD next cycle would you recommend that retake?

I'll re-state. The schools that are likely to consider you are unlikely to screen you out for a 124 CARS.
ahhh ok. so those schools, in theory, could be those mid-low tiers? or wherever my avg stats are?

ahhh ok. so those schools, in theory, could be those mid-low tiers? or wherever my avg stats are?
Schools that accept 15 to 20% OOS with a median MCAT around 31-32 are not going to screen you out because of a 124 CARS.

I suggest:

Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester

Rosy Franklin
NYMC

MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola

Oakland-B

All FL schools.
would you recommend Stony Brook at all, according to MSAR 1/3 of matriculants are out of state?

If you don't want to go to a DO school, don't apply there. I'd rather your seat go to someone who wants to be a doctor now.

thank you for the list... but if i were to get acceptance to a DO this round and no MD, but I know if I retook the mcat I could get MD next cycle would you recommend that retake?

Reactions: 1 users