Where to apply??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Domalana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really struggling finding the right schools to apply too. I have looked at many guides, but all they really just have numbers, so am asking for any personal feedback/suggestions.

I have a 3.78 GPA and a 3.66 sGPA majoring in Neurobiology and Physiology
Scored a 23 AA 24 TS and 17 PAT (another reason why I am having trouble deciding where to apply because I am not sure how much the 17 PAT will jeopardize me)

Clinical experience-
currently interning with a dentist
global dental brigades
NJ Gateway internship

EC- treasurer for SDAB. webmaster for pre-dental society, biology fraternity member

I am definitely applying to my instate school (Jersey) and Maryland Dental School (undergrad in MD) but grew up in the south so would like to apply to some southern schools too

If anyone has any feedback about dental schools they visited or suggestions on where to apply please help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Read the mission statements of each school and find out if it matches your goals and values. Look at tuition, out-of-state friendliness, and obviously program details. Almost all schools are within your range.

For example, Midwestern explicitly states that their goal is produce GPs. Other schools tend to emphasize research in their mission.

thanks! do you know what a good number of schools to apply to is?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! do you know what a good number of schools to apply to is?

No. For me, I felt safe and had the money for applying to ten. I ended up getting five interviews and four acceptances/one withdraw. The other five schools were reach schools for me anyways. :)

Given your numbers, you shouldn't be limited as to where you should apply.

If you had research experience, you would be a very well-rounded applicant.

Thank you! I sort of would rather only apply to about 6 schools (Maryland, NJ, VCU, Arizona, UofPA, and North Carolina are the ones ive been looking into now) rather than waste a lot of money applying to schools that I am really not that interested in, but I am a little nervous that it is too risky to apply to that few of schools.

I do not really have any research experience actually :/ I have been working in the Dean's Suite in the School of Public Health assisting on organizing their research/ presentations but nothing really of my own. In addition to my office job I have a second job in a bar so that pretty much takes over all the free time I have lol

UCLA, UCSF, NYU, NOVA, LOUISVILLE, DETROIT MERCY, UMICH, MINNESOTA, MARQUETTE, CASE, WESTERN, UF, USC, COLUMBIA, TUFTS, HARVARD, BUFFALO, BOSTON UNIVERSITY, ASDOH, LOMA LINDA, UoP, MWU-IL, MWU-AZ, TEMPLE, UPENN, PITTSBURGH, and LECOM

NOTE: the ones in bold have lower chances for OOS

u should definitely apply to private schools since they have no obligations towards their respective state.

33 schools include your approved list above and I'm sure you can cut it down to 20-25 schools but if you are that paranoid apply broadly.

Last edited: