Where to establish residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KPZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Probably jumping the gun a bit here, but I am going to grad school at WashU in the fall. After getting my masters degree I plan to go to medical school. I've lived in KY for 5ish years and am originally from OH. My options residency-wise are:
1. Missouri (use my new address)
2. Kentucky (use spouse's address)
3. Ohio (use parent's address)

I'd love to go to WashU for medical school as well, but I can't bet on getting in and there's not many medical schools in MO. OH has the highest concentration of the 3, but I know UK interviews 50% of KY residents who apply.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

WashU does not prefer instate so no point in establishing residency in Missouri. I had a similar dilemma and decided to keep my residency in California. I would establish residency in the state that has the most medical schools that prefer instate applicants or where you think you have the most chance to get in.

Hi all,

Probably jumping the gun a bit here, but I am going to grad school at WashU in the fall. After getting my masters degree I plan to go to medical school. I've lived in KY for 5ish years and am originally from OH. My options residency-wise are:
1. Missouri (use my new address)
2. Kentucky (use spouse's address)
3. Ohio (use parent's address)

I'd love to go to WashU for medical school as well, but I can't bet on getting in and there's not many medical schools in MO. OH has the highest concentration of the 3, but I know UK interviews 50% of KY residents who apply.

Thank you!
Ohio