Where to get blank spiral notebooks (for Physics, Organic, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Sunny_Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but has anyone found *blank* spiral bound notebooks? Taking summer organic and thinking it would be better to have a spiral bound notebook with blank paper than with lines since I used blank sheets of paper for Physics and it was much easier to take notes on with all the diagrams we had to draw. However I'd always have to punch holes in computer paper, and my notes got disorganized more easily. Is it just my town or are notebooks with regular white/computer-y paper hard to come by?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This might be a silly question, but has anyone found *blank* spiral bound notebooks? Taking summer organic and thinking it would be better to have a spiral bound notebook with blank paper than with lines since I used blank sheets of paper for Physics and it was much easier to take notes on with all the diagrams we had to draw. However I'd always have to punch holes in computer paper and my notes got disorganized more easily. Is it just my town or are notebooks with regular white/computer-y paper hard to come by?

Artists sketch pads. Get them at Michael's for all your arts and crafts needs!

I like to use blank composition books. They're stitched instead of spiral so you can't tear out pages, but one tends to be the perfect size for one semester of notes and they're relatively cheap.
In my original undergrad days, classmates of mine would use hard bound blank journals for our upper division physics courses. These were great for creating a permanent record of notes, with a built in bookmark, etc and perfect for studying for orals for their PhD's, but that's probably a little overkill for your needs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Artists sketch pads. Get them at Michael's for all your arts and crafts needs!

Good call. Hadn't thought of that. Hope I can find one without super heavy paper... we'll see what they got!

I like to use blank composition books. They're stitched instead of spiral so you can't tear out pages, but one tends to be the perfect size for one semester of notes and they're relatively cheap.
In my original undergrad days, classmates of mine would use hard bound blank journals for our upper division physics courses. These were great for creating a permanent record of notes, with a built in bookmark, etc and perfect for studying for orals for their PhD's, but that's probably a little overkill for your needs.

Thank you for the suggestions. Where do you get the blank composition books? Didn't see them at Target.

Staples or similar office type stores offer the best selection.

Roaring Spring is a company that makes blank composition books. Google it and you should be able to find some online.

Roaring Spring is a company that makes blank composition books. Google it and you should be able to find some online.

hah thats quite the name for a notebook company

Hi! Are you talking about the "plain writing tablet" they make? I did find some on Ebay. They were $8.50, about the cost of one of those fancy art pads at Michaels. :p

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. :) I'll hit up Staples and look for the blank composition books.

Hi! Are you talking about the "plain writing tablet" they make? I did find some on Ebay. They were $8.50, about the cost of one of those fancy art pads at Michaels. :p

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. :) I'll hit up Staples and look for the blank composition books.

That looks a bit steep. This is what I meant ($4.50 for two notebooks): http://www.amazon.com/Roaring-Spring-Paper-Products-Composition/dp/B002ZZA0IK

I know they make 100 sheet blank composition books, but I can't seem to find them online. I got mine at one of the college bookstores around here.

50 pages should be enough for 1 semester of general chem, but I think I used the 100 page for organic chem. I also take copious notes, so it could be different for you. And by copious, I mean that I write down everything the professor says.

Anywhos, I like Roaring Springs products because the pages are thinner than composition books so the notebook is less bulky. But if you use an ink pen instead of rolling point or gel, then the ink may bleed through.

Happy shopping!

To OP, it's not a silly question at all. I love taking notes on blank pages. Check out the Asian stationary (even some grocery store) since they have a lot of blank notebooks with cute characters.

I found a pretty big watercolor sketchbook at Aaron brothers. Its big enough to lay comfortably in my lap and I have tons of room, but it also fits into my backpack perfectly. It's spiral bound and also has the tear out pages, and the paper is thick enough that I can write on both sides and has a nice black cover. You should check out Michaels and Aaron brothers! It makes life soooo much easier!