Where to go next year? (Gap year decisions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yibo8181

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suh SDN,

A friend told me about this forum - really bummed I just found out about it.

cGPA 3.65
sGPA 3.5
Two MCATS: 503/502
Ton of shadowing both MD/DO and numerous volunteer/research experience (esp with underserved)

I got into the EVMS Medical Masters Program two days ago and I have heard about their linkage and interviews to their med schools through this SMP program.

My other choice was to do a post-bacc at a good college near my home and take a few classes like biochem, anatomy, etc.

I am planning on re-taking my MCAT but probably next year. I am drawn to the EVMS program because of their linkage.

SDN: what should I do? I get that my MCAT is my weakness, but this SMP could possibly get me an interview at an MD school?

Members don't see this ad.

Suh SDN,

A friend told me about this forum - really bummed I just found out about it.

cGPA 3.65
sGPA 3.5
Two MCATS: 503/502
Ton of shadowing both MD/DO and numerous volunteer/research experience (esp with underserved)

I got into the EVMS Medical Masters Program two days ago and I have heard about their linkage and interviews to their med schools through this SMP program.

My other choice was to do a post-bacc at a good college near my home and take a few classes like biochem, anatomy, etc.

I am planning on re-taking my MCAT but probably next year. I am drawn to the EVMS program because of their linkage.

SDN: what should I do? I get that my MCAT is my weakness, but this SMP could possibly get me an interview at an MD school?
If you're serious about med school, I'd do the EVMS program.

Would you get an interview at EVMS with your MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah i agree with chik - unless youre trying to only go MD?

Does a 3.65 / 3.5 really benefit much from a postbacc? If you feel like you were fully prepared when you got your 503, then the SMP is the best move.

At the post-bacc i would only be taking a few classes such as biochemistry and anatomy. My 502 unfortunately was my second try. I heard @DrMidlife has some experience with EVMS?

SMPs are good when your GPA is below average but the rest of your app is very strong.

SMPs do nothing to help your MCAT. Furthermore, you should be VERY concerned about the exams in an SMP if you struggle with the MCAT. There will be hours-long multiple choice exams on massive volumes of new scientific material...usually one or two times per week.

Another way to look at this: an SMP is going to cost you $50k or so. Rigorous MCAT prep costs about $2500.

"Linkage" is WAY too strong a word for what you get at SMPs unless you're at Temple or Tulane ACP.

Unless you're a Virginia resident, you'd be in for $350k+ cost of attendance at EVMS. That should be frankly terrifying. That number should make all your sphincters fail.

The MCAT forum has comprehensive discussions on every possible difficulty you're having with the MCAT, with strategies for success.

The postbac forum, down under interdisciplinary, has detailed info from current and former students of many many SMPs.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user