Where to go next???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PainDrain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am almost certain I am leaving my current job. And luckily I have a plethora of options on the table. My question is what are everyone's thoughts?

Job A: Working for a large, somewhat notorious, AMC doing whatever I like, pain vs gas. Moderate case complexity. Salary is decent, benefits just ok.

Job B: Academic making about 50K less than the AMC and PP group but with significantly more time off. Their "full time" is basically part time; no call. Great benefits.

Job C: Physician group doing gas. Complex cases. Moderate amoun of call. Great salary and benefits. Not as much time off as academic but salary makes up for it.

Job D: Offer from a friend to do pain for his ortho group but I will have to take out a loan to cover my expenses/salary for the first 6-12 months. Could work as much as I want as long as I am covering overhead. I would be the practice owner but not a lot of room for growth.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am almost certain I am leaving my current job. And luckily I have a plethora of options on the table. My question is what are everyone's thoughts?

Job A: Working for a large, somewhat notorious, AMC doing whatever I like, pain vs gas. Moderate case complexity. Salary is decent, benefits just ok.

Job B: Academic making about 50K less than the AMC and PP group but with significantly more time off. Their "full time" is basically part time; no call. Great benefits.

Job C: Physician group doing gas. Complex cases. Moderate amoun of call. Great salary and benefits. Not as much time off as academic but salary makes up for it.

Job D: Offer from a friend to do pain for his ortho group but I will have to take out a loan to cover my expenses/salary for the first 6-12 months. Could work as much as I want as long as I am covering overhead. I would be the practice owner but not a lot of room for growth.
I'm in no position to recommend any of these over another since I'm in Australia, but personally, I'd be willing to forego only a $50K difference from PP for significantly more time off, no call, essentially part-time work, and great benefits.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say it depends where you are financially and how much you want to continue doing pain. Does the academic job allow you to continue doing pain?

Members don't see this ad :)
B v C. Decide if money or time more is important. Also, do you wanna be an academic? Will you be interested in teaching residents. Will you do a good job at it. If not then C.

I would do D. You will be your own boss. You will make more money. You will have good nights and weekends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

an idea: B + hire AA's (+/- moonlighting pain fellows from your academic program) to staff into D.

You would no doubt work like a dog during the first 6m-year as you get the staffing and scheduling ironed out, but after that you have your "part time" full-time academic career and are a practice owner, too.

Really have to decide first whether to do pain vs general anesthesia since they are two different worlds.

Are you ready to go back to the OR and vise versa, are you ready to quick OR and only do pain?

To me, I wanted stability, a better lifestyle, more interaction with colleagues and residents and do anesthesiology/acute pain at an academic center despite doing a chronic pain fellowship

While Job B would offer a lot of free time, the salary is just ok and it isn't likely to go up. I have a lot of debt from med school so paying that off ASAP is important to me. Job C the salary would eventually be almost 100K more than I could make in academics.

I am still torn between time off and the salary but being out of debt means you have freedom and can then do what you want.

Ok, so it sounds like money is the lead priority. In that case, go with option C. After you've paid down your debt, you could then go to option B for more free time.

Another idea would be option B, then moonlight a little during your copious time off to get an income closer to option C.

Option B and moonlighting in pain and/or GA. It will give you the optimal combination of stability, flexibility, and control.

I was in almost the exact same position 2 years ago and took C. Very happy with where I am now almost at the pot of gold, doing complex cases without the academic bs.