Where to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilliamStoner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for Canadian-friendly (would sponsor me for an H-1B visa) FM residencies in rural/sub-urban settings that will also afford the opportunity to truly do general practice (work emerg, urgent care, a little of everything). I'm open to anywhere in the USA just not sure what to start looking at. I'm in an American osteopathic school and starting to set-up rotations. If it matters at all, I was in practice as an emerg and FM PA for 3 years before returning to school.

Any advice/suggestions on where to look is/are much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Come look at my program: McLeod Family Medicine in Florence, SC. They like PAs and I can't imagine why we wouldn't like a Canadian lol. I was in the first APAP group at LECOM and now PGY 2 and very happy here. We do take folks for audition rotations and if you are LECOM there is already an affiliation agreement that I set up in 2012.
https://www.mcleodhealth.org/mrmc-florence/residency/mcleod-family-medicine-residency.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Come look at my program: McLeod Family Medicine in Florence, SC. They like PAs and I can't imagine why we wouldn't like a Canadian lol. I was in the first APAP group at LECOM and now PGY 2 and very happy here. We do take folks for audition rotations and if you are LECOM there is already an affiliation agreement that I set up in 2012.
https://www.mcleodhealth.org/mrmc-florence/residency/mcleod-family-medicine-residency.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thanks, Primadonna. I sent you a PM.

Hi all,

I am looking for Canadian-friendly (would sponsor me for an H-1B visa) FM residencies in rural/sub-urban settings that will also afford the opportunity to truly do general practice (work emerg, urgent care, a little of everything). I'm open to anywhere in the USA just not sure what to start looking at. I'm in an American osteopathic school and starting to set-up rotations. If it matters at all, I was in practice as an emerg and FM PA for 3 years before returning to school.

Any advice/suggestions on where to look is/are much appreciated.

Welcome to the club, it's totally different being a PA vs a DO/MD.

So I have written to a few FM programs that look promising, many of whom advertise that they will sponsor an H1B. Unfortunately, many of them have replied to me that they no longer do H1Bs. Does anyone know why this is happening? Not getting an H1B will put me in a rather tough position.

Does anyone know of programs that still sponsor H1Bs?

One of the ones I am looking at, Memorial Hermann, mentions H1B visas on their website. Doing a quick google search for H1B visa and family medicine, it looks like UCSF, Wheeling hospital, and Ellis might also sponsor those visas (but I don't know anything about those programs/ didn't really look at the websites).

One of the ones I am looking at, Memorial Hermann, mentions H1B visas on their website. Doing a quick google search for H1B visa and family medicine, it looks like UCSF, Wheeling hospital, and Ellis might also sponsor those visas (but I don't know anything about those programs/ didn't really look at the websites).

I applied to ERAS last year but end up matching through CARMS instead. As a Canadian, I found that H1B options were extremely limited. It has its own hoops to jump through but I'm looking at just moving after residency instead when it's much easier to avoid the J1 two year home residency requirement.

I'm posting to revive this thread as the time for me to apply to residency is coming (applying this year). I've spoken with people at a lot of programs and mostly what I am finding is that a lot of the great-reputation FM programs in States with warm year-round weather don't sponsor visas of any kind.

And the more I think about it the more I realise how important being somewhere with warm and sunny year-round weather is to me. Any suggestions are much appreciated.