Where to study for MCAT at college campus or home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SevenOneThree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to take MCAT in summer 2013. I am deciding whether to study for MCAT at my college Emory University or in my hometown (Big city, Big State) next summer.

Both cities offer all MCAT classes. and either way I have a place to stay. i was just wondering where do most generally prefer to study at home or college campus.

I want to choose a place that I have limited distractions and be productive while studying.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say study at school. I just took my mcat, and studied at home. I do wish I studied at school though, I find there's too many distractions at home and things constantly going on in my house. Whereas at school, it's pretty distraction free and I get some really good studying done there. However, either place can work if you stay focused!

I agree, where ever there are less distractions. I go to school in Boston, and I know I would be way too distracted with everyone there. All my highschool friends have moved away or are busy with jobs, so studying in my home town has been a good idea for me. Just try not to get too lonely and go crazy.

I agree, where ever there are less distractions. I go to school in Boston, and I know I would be way too distracted with everyone there. All my highschool friends have moved away or are busy with jobs, so studying in my home town has been a good idea for me. Just try not to get too lonely and go crazy.

Depends, if you go to a school like Berkeley, you won't be distracted. If you go to a school like USC, some of them girls gah damn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes agreed, I would study at school. I did a mix of both this summer and it really did not work well. In fact, whatever I studied when I was at home just went out the window and my Self-Assessment analysis basically confirmed that.

I mean home is free food, comfortable, and free laundry. But so much distractions (mainly family and more family stuff). If I could redo this summer MCAT studying I would be at school as much as possible instead of doing like an every 2 days go home and spend the night (or two) there thing.

And also, no matter how many times you tell your parents not to interrupt, if they're like mine, they will interrupt you every 3 hours (+/- 1 hour).

Thanks everyone!

I guess I will ask here too. Which MCAT prep course did u take if u took one (ie. Kaplan, TPR, ExamKrackers)? and which one is best to choose?

Depends, if you go to a school like Berkeley, you won't be distracted. If you go to a school like USC, some of them girls gah damn.

lol. i still get distracted. I went home for like a week to see if it would make a difference. I personally like school better. In the end, environment can help a little, but it's really up to how motivated you are.

lol. i still get distracted. I went home for like a week to see if it would make a difference. I personally like school better. In the end, environment can help a little, but it's really up to how motivated you are.

You could always do the online course, I'm currently doing TPR. I was able to go home and still have access to my class (although I stopped going, lol). I don't wanna sway you away from a prep course but I felt that the classes themselves were a bit of a waste of time. Their online resources, however, are extremely useful. You get access to hundreds of question banks, 7 TPR tests, and 6 AAMC tests. So far I've been using EK Bio, and TPR Chem/Physics and 1001 Questions for Physics/chem the most. The rest of my books are collecting dust.

Are your parents helpful when you're taking classes or not helpful? This might be something to take into consideration if you're better off getting your mom to cook for you, etc. Mine are super not helpful so it's easier for me not to live at home when I'm studying.

They're not offering it at this time, but I probably would have done this. http://www.princetonreview.com/mcat/mcat-online-test-prep.aspx
maybe there'll be something like that for the op next summer.

that aside, I've found that changing study environments helps sometimes. I've rotated between coffee shops, library, classroom etc. figure out what works for you. but realize that the commute there can waste a bit of time, so sometimes your apt might be better.

btw, I'm self studying and in the final weeks before the 9/1 test, so take my advice w/ a grain of salt. keep in mind though, even if you're not in a course, there are other cbts you can purchase (ie tbr or gs).

My parents are sweet and supportive so it's nice studying at home. Earlier in the summer, when I would get distracted too easily in my room, I would pack up my MCAT books and study for the day at a college library close to my house. So it's kind of like staying on campus, except you have the perks of homemade food, laundry done for you, good advice when you're stressed out, etc. Also TPR actually gives you access to 19 tests--11 TPR exams and 8 AAMC exams.

My parents are sweet and supportive so it's nice studying at home. Earlier in the summer, when I would get distracted too easily in my room, I would pack up my MCAT books and study for the day at a college library close to my house. So it's kind of like staying on campus, except you have the perks of homemade food, laundry done for you, good advice when you're stressed out, etc. Also TPR actually gives you access to 19 tests--11 TPR exams and 8 AAMC exams.

You must have the more expensive version

If you launch the online content, there's a folder titled "Core Tests" as well as a "Practice Tests" folder that both have practice exams. Does this bring your test count up to 19? If not, I guess we do have different versions.

lol i go to emory too. And im actually studying for the mcat now. I'm studying at home and finding no problem in concentrating. I find that I can study and balance my social life with friends back at home. I've been averaging around a 34 on my practice tests so i guess its working.

It really depends on how good work ethic you have. I have a friend back at Emory who is also studying for the MCAT and taking the PR course. He isn't able to break 30 on his tests.