Where to take Vet Prerequisites TA&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IrrationallyAwesome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is a short version of my academic history.
I am a 17 yr. homeschool, dual credit, high school graduate. I've completed all my basic college courses through a junior college and finished with a 3.8 GPA. I never took an SAT or ACT because I took a TSI for the junior college. Since I didn't take a standardized test I'll need to transfer to a university.

Okay, so I only recently chose to pursue the DVM field again. Since then, I have volunteered at a local vet clinic, have assisted a traveling vet, palpated some cows, and am about to start an internship under a white tail deer breeder/ reproduction expert/ Biochemist. I have a lot of vets willing to take me under their wing and help me in any way they can. The area I'm in is a big agriculture are as well. So I'm not too concerned about finding experience.

My ultimate goal is to get into Texas A&M's vet program, but I m also looking at out of state schools just in case. Now, A&M has a branch in a nearby town that I am guaranteed to get into (this junior college has some kind of connection), but honestly their science department at this location is not very strong, and TA&M only chooses 1-2 students per year for their program from this location.

- My grand question here being, would taking my prerequisites at a university with a much stronger pre med program (i.e. U.T. Austin, Baylor, etc.) better my chances of getting accepted into a DVM program?

Part 2. I have spoken to many vets about Texas A&M, but none have had much to say, just that I should look at other options. Part could be they don't think Ill make it into the #7 school in the US (lets be honest, its a long shot) but there is something they aren't saying. It has me concerned. Then, I signed up for the AAVMC, but Texas A&M isn't even an option for interest. Also, I cant find any information on them besides their website and Wikipeidia.

- Why cant I find any information about this school outside of their website?

Members don't see this ad.

it does not matter where you fulfill the prereqs. I got a BA in a non-science field from a no-name state school and I was accepted first time. lol. Also, rankings have no impact on your matriculation. They don't mean much it all. Don't let that scare you away. Going to a school with a renowned science program may get you academic rigor points if you do well, but by no means would it significantly increase your chances. The way this field is going financially, if the A and M satellite campus is more affordable, that's where I'd choose to go.

I'm not sure what info you're looking for on the school... I ultimately decided not to apply there as an OOS because I couldn't afford to take animal nutrition, but they have a sizeable classes of 130, with most of the spots going to TX residents. The VMSAR book may fill in some things you wish to know. Good luck!

I don't have much to add that rockatiel didn't cover but I just wanted to say that I too was homeschooled. :) However, I didn't take advantage of dual enrollment during high school so I had to start from square one for undergrad. Congrats on being proactive! If I had to offer one bit of advice it is to choose a major you enjoy, can see yourself doing and has a high employment rate. Thus, if you decide not to pursue vet med you have something to fall back on. ;) Best of luck with your future endeavors!

Edit: Also I had an additional thought. While I know you are several years off from applying --if you haven't taken standardized tests, I would recommend taking the GRE early rather than waiting until the summer when you apply in case you want to retake. Even if you are proficient in math/reading the GRE a different kind of animal than just regular multiple choice exams. In addition, I would recommend Magoosh for GRE prep. I took the GRE back in 2012 after using a different prep course through a local college and I learned more with 10 minutes of Magoosh than the entire 6 week prep course. I decided against retaking the GRE as I gained acceptance this cycle; however, I seriously think I could of raised my halfway decent score by 15-20 points after using Magoosh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what additional information you want on the CVM, but I'm happy to try to answer any questions. We celebrated our centennial this year, so that's pretty neat to know that we've been graduating veterinarians for almost 100 years...surely we're doing something right? :p

As far as where to attend, it doesn't really matter. A&M does factor in rigor with a few points going to what undergraduate institution you attended. So some schools will garner more points than others, but as long as you have a strong academic record, I don't think it would make or break your application. Go somewhere that's affordable, that has all or most of the courses that are required, and has all the extracurricular opportunities needed to make for a well-rounded applicant. A&M likes to focus on grades and GRE scores, but experience, LORs, club/leadership/volunteer activity, etc. are an important part of your application too.

the #7 school in the US

Ranks don't matter. At all.

If you take the required courses somewhere (any of the places you named would be fine) and do well, you are in good shape. You sound like you are working hard to get lots of experience and that you have done well so far, so just keep on keepin' on. And try to make it away from undergrad with zero debt. Try very hard to make that happen. With that in mind, apply to several places and see about some scholarship possibilities - factor that into choosing an undergrad school as well.

Ditto what was said above about taking the GRE as soon as you feel ready - as long as it's no more than five years old by the time you apply, it would be good to get it taken while you still remember all the trig and stuff that tends to fade as you get further into college.

Ditto what was said above about taking the GRE as soon as you feel ready - as long as it's no more than five years old by the time you apply, it would be good to get it taken while you still remember all the trig and stuff that tends to fade as you get further into college.
Check with the schools you plan on applying to on this, I'm pretty sure Mizzou and Illinois at least require GRE scores within the past two years.

Then, I signed up for the AAVMC, but Texas A&M isn't even an option for interest.
Not entirely sure what you mean, but if you started filling out a VMCAS application for practice, Texas A&M is weird and has their own separate application service (TMDSAS), so they wouldn't be on there.

Reactions: 1 user
Not entirely sure what you mean, but if you started filling out a VMCAS application for practice, Texas A&M is weird and has their own separate application service (TMDSAS), so they wouldn't be on there.

And some would argue that's a good thing cause they're fighting the monopoly god that is VMCAS.