Where to Volunteer/ What to do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biogirl804

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey !! I was wondering what kind of volunteer/community service is ideal for DO schools? I'll be applying next year, but I was thinking of volunteering at a hospital or even possibly becoming a volunteer EMT. Would anyone know which one is better or even more hands-on?? I was just curious and hopefully i'll see where to volunteer soon. thanks !! Any ideas would be helpful!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

"if you can smell the patients, you have clinical experience" doesnt matter what you do, just do these:

1. get hospital experience
2. shadow a DO

I'm not certain there is an "ideal" experience. IMO, any type that lets you observe patient-doctor interaction is great--and with some places interpreting HIPAA laws overly strict--lucky to be had.

Obviously, for DO schools, working with a DO is important--in any setting. However, finding one willing to meet with pre-meds might be a challenge in some places. I think it is worth the effort, though.

Regarding the hospital or EMT option--as an EMT, volunteer or not, you'll have to become certified which takes time and money--right? Depending on your timeline, perhaps it's best just to get some initial volunteering experience at the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteer at the regional trauma center, late nights on the weekends. It is awesome. I suggest something like this. You'll get to work closely with nurses, techs, MD's and DO's, and you'll find out in a hurry if medicine is what you really want to do.

I volunteer at the regional trauma center, late nights on the weekends. It is awesome. I suggest something like this. You'll get to work closely with nurses, techs, MD's and DO's, and you'll find out in a hurry if medicine is what you really want to do.

I did (am doing) the same and also love it, I'm interested in a peds supspeciality so I worked in the ped ED.
it made me think I wanted to do EM, which I know I DON'T want to do

I took medical histories at my local free clinic. I recorded the patients' chief complaints, took their vitals and made referrals when appropriate. It was a great experience -- it allowed me to work with diverse/underserved populations. Unlike so many things I did in undergrad....I actually looked forward to my time at the clinic.

Im working as a tech in a hospital near me. Not the trauma center, but we still see some really sick people. Its amazing being able to watch the doctors work and then get to ask them questions of why they did what they did. Its become an amazing learning experience. Working/volunteering in a clinic is great too, but I really think that doing the same kind of work at a hospital just exposes you to so many different kinds of medicine and environments that its better. Just my $0.02 though...

Hey !! I was wondering what kind of volunteer/community service is ideal for DO schools? I'll be applying next year, but I was thinking of volunteering at a hospital or even possibly becoming a volunteer EMT. Would anyone know which one is better or even more hands-on?? I was just curious and hopefully i'll see where to volunteer soon. thanks !! Any ideas would be helpful!! :)

The best volunteering you can do is something that you personally enjoy doing. ADCOMs see applications all day and are very good at picking out people who just volunteer to volunteer. What you actually do depends on your interests in life, medicine, and academia. Also, how much time do you have to devote to this? Can you spend the time in class to become an EMT? Can you then devote the time for continuing ed that EMTs need? Would you even like emergency medicine? Try shadowing a few docs first and see what intersests you first hand, then make a move.

for some reason, I would feel especially for D.O. schools that along with the regular hospital/clinical experience (which is EXTREMELY important, not only for admissions, but also to make sure that the reality of it all is something you could put up with), you should commit to something for a few years that is not really medically related but more community service oriented. I volunteer at a camp for physically/mentally disabled because an ex-girlfriend "dragged" me to volunteer at a special olympics event a few years ago. The camp is such an amazing experience that i've been back for 4 years!

that being said, do something you enjoy.

So nice working in the ED... especially when you decide to walk that you're going to walk home that night instead of take transit and just 10 minutes before you leave there is a trauma call and someone comes in with knife wounds to the skull. Scares you straight.