Which american residencies are recognized in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skatertudoroga

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I trained in something like family medicine at an acgme program in usa, would i be able to move to Montreal for work? If so where would you find job advertisements for canada the same way you do for usa? And what about specialties such as IM, Neurology, Anesthesia, ER?

Members don't see this ad.

The answer to your first question is "yes". The US and Canada have reciprosity for training. The problem is that some Canadian residencies are longer than US residencies. FM and IM, for example, are both 4 years long in Canada and only 3 in the US. Thus, if you complete a 3 year IM resiency in the US and then go back to Canada, you may need to do one more year of training.

I thought FM was only 2 years in Canada?

I thought FM was only 2 years in Canada?

yes, FM is two yrs.
My guess is it would be difficult without canadian citizenship since quebec really tries to limit the number of foreign docs coming into the city. Each specialty will have a different rule though and FM in rural quebec may be easier.

Neurology is 5 yrs in Canada, 4 yrs in the US

Is it also 1 year IM, 3 years of Neurology or what is the distributions of IM to Neurology. Is Neurology in demand in Canada compared to the US and how easy is it to pursue residency in the US for Neurology and then practice in Canada?