Which Application Cycle: 2016 vs. 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Un Cupo de Cafe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN,

As I approach the end of my undergraduate years, I'm faced with the prospect of MCAT prep and AMCAS application.

Would you mind weighing-in on whether I should aggressively push forward with MCAT prep and apply in 2016 or wait until 2017 to apply.

Background Information:

Undergraduate cumulative GPA: 4.0

Clinical Experiences:
--5 years volunteer work at a local children's hospital (around 800 hours). I rotated through many different floors and departments.
--2 years as an in-home supportive services caregiver to the elderly
--3 years of experience as a medical and dental equipment repair technician (self-employed)

Research Experience:
--Currently interning at a neurobiology lab at a state university. There exists a strong possibility of at least one publication within the coming year with me as either the first or second author. Additional publications with my name in 3rd or 4th place are also a possibility…

Future Academic Plans: This coming fall quarter should be my last. I have four classes scheduled that cleanup my major requirement "loose ends."

All MCAT-related classes have been completed; however, it's been quite a while since I took psychology and sociology.

The Questions:

Should I start prepping for the MCAT now and schedule the exam for Spring?

Should I wait an additional year and do more research work (as well as MCAT prep_?

If one has a MCAT-related question, should those questions be posted to the MCAT forum? Or may I pose them in this thread?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

Members don't see this ad.

You have plenty of time before next Spring to apply for the 2017 entering class.

Apply in 2016.

By the way, taking an MCAT Prep class this early with plans of taking it next Spring is quite a while. You're unlikely to retain the information. I would recommend putting a stop to that and starting again when you're 3-4 months out.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like you have a lot of clinical and research experience, coupled with a great GPA, so it seems like there is no need to wait out an extra year. I'm in the same situation, wondering if I should take a gap year. Do you have other non-clinical volunteering experience? If not I suggest trying to do some of that this upcoming year.

Thank you for the help; I appreciate it!

Two Quick Questions:

1) One of my undergraduate physics professors was not rigorous enough. What MCAT physics review books are the most recommended?

Should I just get the entire Berkeley Review set + TPR Hyperlearning for Verbal?

2) What books would be best for psychology and sociology review?

By the way, taking an MCAT Prep class this early with plans of taking it next Spring is quite a while. You're unlikely to retain the information. I would recommend putting a stop to that and starting again when you're 3-4 months out.
You have plenty of time before next Spring to apply for the 2017 entering class.

Apply in 2016.

By non-clinical experience, do you mean activities like clubs, fraternities/sororities, homeless shelter volunteer work, etc?

If that's what you're implying, then no; I do not have experiences in those areas.

How negatively might this impact my application prospects?

Thank you for your time!

It seems like you have a lot of clinical and research experience, coupled with a great GPA, so it seems like there is no need to wait out an extra year. I'm in the same situation, wondering if I should take a gap year. Do you have other non-clinical volunteering experience? If not I suggest trying to do some of that this upcoming year.

Thank you for the help; I appreciate it!

Two Quick Questions:

1) One of my undergraduate physics professors was not rigorous enough. What MCAT physics review books are the most recommended?

Should I just get the entire Berkeley Review set + TPR Hyperlearning for Verbal?

2) What books would be best for psychology and sociology review?

1) I used TBR for Physics entirely (as well as for Gen Chem and Bio) and scored well in the Physical Sciences section on the old MCAT. No one prepares you quite like TBR! I recommend the entire Berkeley set and then whatever good CARS sources are out there. If there are no companies who have come out with standalone CARS passages, then yes, I suppose going with TPR Hyperlearning as well as EK 101 would be your best bet, but I'm not familiar with MCAT2015 style. I found both to be helpful while prepping.

2) I have no clue. That would be a good question for the MCAT subforum!

Regarding non-clinical activities, it is important that you become involved in at least a few. Adcoms appreciate diversity, and differentiating yourself from applicants is a GOOD thing. For example, I'm a peer educator (non-clinical volunteering), artistic performer, and am VP of two organizations. It's just a good way to broaden your experiences and strengthen your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Dear HCHopeful,

I apologize for the delay in replying; it's been a busy few weeks at the lab (and just in general).

I know quite a few medical school applicants are class presidents, peer mentors, homeless shelter volunteers, community activists, etc.

Would I be able to "replace" these types of experiences with internships at tech companies? I honestly find coding to be much more interesting, and relevant, to what I wish to do later in life. I'd much rather write an app that reaches 1,000's of individuals rather than directly helping a few dozen.

What are your thoughts on the above?

Have a wonderful 4th of July!

1) I used TBR for Physics entirely (as well as for Gen Chem and Bio) and scored well in the Physical Sciences section on the old MCAT. No one prepares you quite like TBR! I recommend the entire Berkeley set and then whatever good CARS sources are out there. If there are no companies who have come out with standalone CARS passages, then yes, I suppose going with TPR Hyperlearning as well as EK 101 would be your best bet, but I'm not familiar with MCAT2015 style. I found both to be helpful while prepping.

2) I have no clue. That would be a good question for the MCAT subforum!

Regarding non-clinical activities, it is important that you become involved in at least a few. Adcoms appreciate diversity, and differentiating yourself from applicants is a GOOD thing. For example, I'm a peer educator (non-clinical volunteering), artistic performer, and am VP of two organizations. It's just a good way to broaden your experiences and strengthen your application.

Dear HCHopeful,

I apologize for the delay in replying; it's been a busy few weeks at the lab (and just in general).

I know quite a few medical school applicants are class presidents, peer mentors, homeless shelter volunteers, community activists, etc.

Would I be able to "replace" these types of experiences with internships at tech companies? I honestly find coding to be much more interesting, and relevant, to what I wish to do later in life. I'd much rather write an app that reaches 1,000's of individuals rather than directly helping a few dozen.

What are your thoughts on the above?

Have a wonderful 4th of July!

I don't know if "replace" is the right word to use. I think those types of internships certainly strengthen an application, but certain applicants will have those experiences and hold offices/be involved on campus as well.

Truthfully, on campus activities are given less weight anyway, just because it's not really getting out of your element.

Maybe you could use your love of coding to design an app for a group on campus that would allow you to climb the ranks a bit? <---- Think along those lines as activities that help you stand out.

You have a happy 4th as well!

I will do my best and see if I can fit a 'humanities' internship into my schedule.

A few of our local cities routinely run coding competitions where folks compete to make apps for the common good.

On the other hand, I'm already stretched pretty thin time-wise. Maybe I should just focus on doing really well on the tasks already at hand?

I don't know if "replace" is the right word to use. I think those types of internships certainly strengthen an application, but certain applicants will have those experiences and hold offices/be involved on campus as well.

Truthfully, on campus activities are given less weight anyway, just because it's not really getting out of your element.

Maybe you could use your love of coding to design an app for a group on campus that would allow you to climb the ranks a bit? <---- Think along those lines as activities that help you stand out.

You have a happy 4th as well!