Which branch is the best to serve the HPSP Scholarship through?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confusedd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been accepted to the Air Force and Army HPSP Scholarships this year, and also am supposed to be hearing from the NAVY soon. My question is which branch is the best to accept the scholarship from? While the base compensation is the same throughout the branches, the NAVY and Army both offer an additional $20K signing bonus, while the AF no longer does for dental. Is the quality of life in the AF enough to outweigh this $20K? Because of the high officer ratio in the AF is it harder to rank up, even as a medical professional, resulting in slower pay rate changes too (around year 3 of active)? Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been accepted to the Air Force and Army HPSP Scholarships this year, and also am supposed to be hearing from the NAVY soon. My question is which branch is the best to accept the scholarship from? While the base compensation is the same throughout the branches, the NAVY and Army both offer an additional $20K signing bonus, while the AF no longer does for dental. Is the quality of life in the AF enough to outweigh this $20K? Because of the high officer ratio in the AF is it harder to rank up, even as a medical professional, resulting in slower pay rate changes too (around year 3 of active)? Any advice would be appreciated.
Speaking only for the Army:

- Promotions are typically every 6 yrs.
- Promotion to Major (O-4) is a non-competative board (near 100 % promotion unless there is something grossly adverse in your record)
- Promotions to LTC (O-5) has been around 90%
- Promotion to COL (O-6) this last board was 140% (in the zone + plus many above the zone).

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking only for the Army:

- Promotions are typically every 6 yrs.
- Promotion to Major (O-4) is a non-competative board (near 100 % promotion unless there is something grossly adverse in your record)
- Promotions to LTC (O-5) has been around 90%
- Promotion to COL (O-6) this last board was 140% (in the zone + plus many above the zone).

AF promotion rates are very similar.

100% to O4 and O5. I don't know the % for Col with the above the zone counted in but its not 140%

Which is better? Well that depends. The answer you get will be very subjective based on which service that person is in.

I honestly think what you choose is based on your personality...you should talk to several people in each branch, Junior and Senior Officers and you will know which fit is for you..

Don't worry about the promotions, they will come accordingly..