Which Cali programs are easier/ have better hours/mostly outpatient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alisepeep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a Cali program that is easy on the hours? And is not too inpatient heavy?

Members don't see this ad.

Kaisers are lightweight? That's disappointing. I would hope Santa Rosa isn't all Kaisered up yet.

The programs hosted at community health centers seem like they'd be less inpatienty.

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple of things...

1) I honestly think you are going into residency with the wrong mindset. Whatever your rationale is, it doesn't matter. You should never try to pick a residency based on how "easy" it is. If anything, you should run far away from programs that have that reputation, as that is a huge red flag. Your residency is your ONLY opportunity in your life and career to become the strongest doctor you can be. After that, you are literally on your own, for the rest of your life. We had a 3rd year from a nearby "easy" program rotate with us because she was behind. She was so behind, in fact, that she had to rotate at intern level, and she was just about to graduate. Working with her for a few days, it soon became extremely apparent to all of us why she was considered so behind. Do you really want to be in that position? Go into residency expecting it to have a steep learning curve. I can't think of anything more important. Your hours in residency aren't necessarily indicative of what your hours will be as an attending.

2) This is just my opinion, but in my experience in the "real world," I can tell you right now that inpatient heavy training is one of the most important facets of what distinguishes a medical doctor from a PA. Even if you plan on doing 100% outpatient, which most family medicine physicians do (myself included), it is your inpatient training that will help you recognize rare syndromes that might otherwise be missed by people with less training. You need to see as many truly sick people as you can in order to be able to recognize them in the outpatient setting. I've only been working as an attending 2 months and I've already been able to recognize and diagnose at least 10 cases that were misdiagnosed/missed by midlevels.

To be honest, it's really difficult to rotate with people who have mindsets like yours, so I really recommend thinking long and hard about what I've said above before beginning residency. I hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 users
A couple of things...

1) I honestly think you are going into residency with the wrong mindset. Whatever your rationale is, it doesn't matter. You should never try to pick a residency based on how "easy" it is. If anything, you should run far away from programs that have that reputation, as that is a huge red flag. Your residency is your ONLY opportunity in your life and career to become the strongest doctor you can be. After that, you are literally on your own, for the rest of your life. We had a 3rd year from a nearby "easy" program rotate with us because she was behind. She was so behind, in fact, that she had to rotate at intern level, and she was just about to graduate. Working with her for a few days, it soon became extremely apparent to all of us why she was considered so behind. Do you really want to be in that position? Go into residency expecting it to have a steep learning curve. I can't think of anything more important. Your hours in residency aren't necessarily indicative of what your hours will be as an attending.

2) This is just my opinion, but in my experience in the "real world," I can tell you right now that inpatient heavy training is one of the most important facets of what distinguishes a medical doctor from a PA. Even if you plan on doing 100% outpatient, which most family medicine physicians do (myself included), it is your inpatient training that will help you recognize rare syndromes that might otherwise be missed by people with less training. You need to see as many truly sick people as you can in order to be able to recognize them in the outpatient setting. I've only been working as an attending 2 months and I've already been able to recognize and diagnose at least 10 cases that were misdiagnosed/missed by midlevels.

To be honest, it's really difficult to rotate with people who have mindsets like yours, so I really recommend thinking long and hard about what I've said above before beginning residency. I hope this helps.

I like this! We should all reread.