Which class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aesculapian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide between these four awesome classes - any opinions/input would be much appreciated.

Biology of Cancer
Developmental Biology
Principles of Genetics
Medical Microbiology

For background - these are all post-bac classes; I've already done all my pre-reqs. They all seem like they would be interesting and exciting to learn about and probably helpful for med school. How can I pick just one?! (Help.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Medical Microbiology. There is a lot of microbiology required in medical school, so this would be my pick. Developmental Biology would be my second pick.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you take any microbio or genetics in undergrad? If not, then maybe one of those. Otherwise, I really really have been wanting to take a Biology of Cancer course so I would choose that simply out of personal interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Developmental Biology sounds the most fun to me. If you're really stuck, draw out of a hat or something :)

I would go with personal interest. I love learning (a bit of an unabashed nerd), but I would pick something you wouldn't already learn in med school, or at least not to the degree it is taught at the post bacc. Good luck choosing though, it is a good dilemma to have :)

Trying to decide between these four awesome classes - any opinions/input would be much appreciated.

Biology of Cancer
Developmental Biology
Principles of Genetics
Medical Microbiology

For background - these are all post-bac classes; I've already done all my pre-reqs. They all seem like they would be interesting and exciting to learn about and probably helpful for med school. How can I pick just one?! (Help.)
If your purpose were to boost your GPA without suffering too much, I'd pick Medical Micro. But for an accepted applicant, if it's to give yourself a solid grounding in an important subject now rather than suffer more in medical school, I'd suggest Principles of Genetics (which is usually a pretty intense course and not a lot of fun, at least at my school). Developmental Bio would also be helpful, but (I think) more interesting.

Of those mentioned, Medical Microbiology looks to be the most interesting, but if it's anything like my school's "Clinical Microbiology", then it's basically a huge emphasis on virulence factors (many of which have obscure genes), which is really interesting to understand pathology states, but most of it got dumped from my brain over the summer. Albeit this class only focused on bacteriology, whereas the "clinical microbiology II" that I'm taking this semester in a different department is focusing on parasitology, virology, and mycology, and may actually miss a lot of important diseases.
If not this class then I'd suggest genetics just because it seems like it will give you the best foundation for further studies.

Also you should have made a poll because it seems like the responses are all over the place.