Which Courses Count Towards sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurkDorian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone can tell me which courses count towards my sGPA. I was wondering because I've taken several science courses but many of them aren't classified as subjects such as biology or chemistry but instead are classified as "Life Science"

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, that's the department listing :p

what should I look for in the description?

At that point it might be slightly subjective. Would be happy to give an opinion if you posted them.

If not, then I would see what it fits under based on key words. Hard to explain without an example and I cannot find any US universities with a Life Sciences course classification.

Do psychology and human development count in the sGPA? What courses count? I'm wondering this, too.

Do psychology and human development count in the sGPA? What courses count? I'm wondering this, too.

Those are both clearly listed in the link that has been posted twice in this thread as not science GPA per AMCAS.

Those are both clearly listed in the link that has been posted twice in this thread as not science GPA per AMCAS.

Oops. I have no idea how I missed that. Sorry

Reactions: 1 user
It's actually from a Canadian school.

That makes sense, it isn't something I have seen in the US (though of course I am sure it exists).

What is the goal of the major? I would follow the instructions on AMCAS and ask an adviser. It seems like it could either be a Biology or Health Sciences classification (HS not being sGPA). I would imagine if it is common in Canada, there is a guideline they generally follow. Maybe you could reach out to another applicant with your major and see how they were classified?

Reactions: 1 user
Quantum Mechanics

But only if you want a 40+ MCAT...

The message is that quantum mechanics is a ridiculously difficult class that will likely lower your sGPA. So the best way to compensate it is by scoring 40+ on MCAT (or whatever the 2015 equivalent is).

What does that have to do with this thread?

That makes sense, it isn't something I have seen in the US (though of course I am sure it exists).

What is the goal of the major? I would follow the instructions on AMCAS and ask an adviser. It seems like it could either be a Biology or Health Sciences classification (HS not being sGPA). I would imagine if it is common in Canada, there is a guideline they generally follow. Maybe you could reach out to another applicant with your major and see how they were classified?
Thanks!