Which courses to take right before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leventambi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone!
I am applying this coming cycle in the summer and have 2 more quarters to take classes before applying. I will be graduating in 3 years so this is just my second year of college. I have heard conflicting things about this but is it wiser for me to take, for example, the third and last quarter of ochem and physics next quarter, or take them later and take an upper div bio lab and biochem instead? I will eventually take them all but its just a matter of when, before or after applying with them on my transcript. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How are you applying next cycle but you're graduating in 3 years? Also unless you came in with a ton of AP credits, you don't apply to med school after your sophomore year, the earliest is after your junior year. I'm not sure how much you understand the timeline from your post.

You need ochem and physics for the MCAT. You also need biochem for the new MCAT. Take those before taking the MCAT.

EDIT: unless you mean you're only taking 3 years to complete undergrad. then that timeline is fine.

Last edited:
Take all the pre-reqs before taking the MCAT, but then in addition, it would be useful to take genetics, molecular and cellular biology, physiology, biochemistry, before medical school.

If not its not a huge deal either.