Which D.O. schools waive out of state tuition after year one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepPsych72

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone new this. Unless you are an in state resident for a D.O. school such as North Texas or Oklahoma you will be paying double tuition all four years. This could lead to loans in excess of $250,000 for out of staters.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know of anyone who will let you pay out of state tuition after one year. I think the only thing to look into is if you can apply for residency after a certain period of time. Where did you came up with $250,000??? Yes, it's double in some places, Oklahoma is $31,265, but four years is nowhere near two hundred and fifty thousand!! Even MSU which is one of the highest for out of state students doesn't come close to that.

Well, MSU OOS is $42K tuition. That means you're looking at about $200K for tuition ALONE. Tack on fees, books, living expenses... Their financial aid site states that as a nonresident you'll need $76592 for MSI alone. That means for four years you'll be borrowing about $300K if they don't have any major hikes in fees, tuition, etc. Major ouch. I declined my interview there when I got accepted to another school mainly due to the cost. I just can't justify it.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMDNJSOM will let you pay in-state tuition all four years if you are able to fulfill their easy residency requirements before you start first year.

HunterGatherer said:
UMDNJSOM will let you pay in-state tuition all four years if you are able to fulfill their easy residency requirements before you start first year.

I believe you can be a state resident for tuition purposes at Ohio U. after the first year, too.

Yeah, but in Ohio you have to sign a contract stating you'll work in Ohio AFTER residency for at least 5 years.

ShyRem said:
Yeah, but in Ohio you have to sign a contract stating you'll work in Ohio AFTER residency for at least 5 years.

Those 5 years are not necessarily after residency. The residency counts toward those 5 years if done in Ohio. An AOA Primary Care residency in OHIO will satisfy the requirement. 1.5 years per 1 year of AOA, PC, OH residency. If you do an allo-residency in OHIO, those years only count 1:1. So, if your residency is less than 5 years, you'll have a requirement to work in Ohio, after your residency. If you do an allo-residency specialty that requires more than 5 years, I believe you have met the requirement, too.

DORoe, am I correct? He/she knows more about this than me. Perhaps one of our OU-COM comrades can chime in here.

I really don't understand the contract, since there is no financial incentive to sign the contract. Does the contract help one get in-state tuition? If you go back on the contract, are you charged 4 years of OOS tuition then?

Packamylase said:
Those 5 years are not necessarily after residency. The residency counts toward those 5 years if done in Ohio. An AOA Primary Care residency in OHIO will satisfy the requirement. 1.5 years per 1 year of AOA, PC, OH residency. If you do an allo-residency in OHIO, those years only count 1:1. So, if your residency is less than 5 years, you'll have a requirement to work in Ohio, after your residency. If you do an allo-residency specialty that requires more than 5 years, I believe you have met the requirement, too.

DORoe, am I correct? He/she knows more about this than me. Perhaps one of our OU-COM comrades can chime in here.

I really don't understand the contract, since there is no financial incentive to sign the contract. Does the contract help one get in-state tuition? If you go back on the contract, are you charged 4 years of OOS tuition then?

The way that I understand it is that only AOA approved residencies count toward your five year commitment. 3 year primary care residencies fulfill the obligation, and for specialties in CORE hospitals you get 1 for 1. Since OUCOM is a state supported institution they use the out of state contract to fulfill their mission of creating doctors to serve in OHIO. check out www.ohiocore.org for a list of all the hospitals and residency programs available within the CORE system. There are many residency programs within the CORE in a variety of settings.

SleepPsych72 said:
I was wondering if anyone new this. Unless you are an in state resident for a D.O. school such as North Texas or Oklahoma you will be paying double tuition all four years. This could lead to loans in excess of $250,000 for out of staters.
I was told at WVSOM if you buy a home or marry someone from that state it may give you state residency. call the county housing (government) office of your district and ask them.

In the paperwork sent to me last application cycle it was specifically stated that "residency does NOT fulfill the primary care contract". I was told by many students at Ohio that this was waived for certain residencies, but you don't get a 1:1 credit. And yes, if you don't fulfill the contract you are charged the full 4 years of OOS tuition.

So the bottom line for me was: do I trust black and white wording of the paperwork I'm signing, or do I believe other folks that I've never met that contradict the very words on the contract??

I withdrew from Ohio due to the contract requirement.

The financial aid website posted a budget for private student loan purposes. I don't know anyone at PCOM who actually is taking as much as the budget which I think they set at $55,000 or so that PCOM lists. I think 22 grand a year for living expenses is pretty steep. There are different private loans you can get above the stafford and they are capped at whatever the school sets the budget too, otherwise you have to take out a regular private loan.

ShyRem said:

I understand this is a contract, but I don't understand how it is enforced. If you don't work in Ohio during/after residency, what do they do? Do they sue you? Blacklist you? Bill you? What happens?

LHUEMT911 said:
The financial aid website posted a budget for private student loan purposes. I don't know anyone at PCOM who actually is taking as much as the budget which I think they set at $55,000 or so that PCOM lists...

So what is the average that PCOM students are actually taking out?

Oculus Sinistra said:
I understand this is a contract, but I don't understand how it is enforced. If you don't work in Ohio during/after residency, what do they do? Do they sue you? Blacklist you? Bill you? What happens?

Magneto, I guess what is being said is that our signing of the contract is an important part of our getting In-state tuition for the last 3 years at OU-COM. However, if we back out, I guess we will be retroactively billed as an OOS student for the last 3 years.

I hope DORoe can confirm this.

I know quite a few who didn't take anything addition beyond the stafford for year one atleast. Alot of us had some money saved from working throughout college and after. Some people have a sig other working, or parents helping them with school. Don't forget you have your first summer off to work or do a paid internship/research. Alot of people do nothing. Yes, you need to relax, but you really need to have experiences for your CV if you want a competative residency. Anyhow, that is a few montsh rent right there.

On average though I think most take about $5-10 grand additional to the stafford, I have heard of people taking out up to $30,000 additional to the stafford, but they are living like doctors now instead of like students. Meaning, after they graduate they will be living like students for a few years. It really all depends on how good you are with your money, how much you buy lunch, go out on weekends, rent, food, car payments, insurance, etc...I forget what the website shows the budget, I guess it is near 50 on average.

SleepPsych72 said:

Oklahoma does not. The only way to become a resident is to work full time for a year while not in school OR marry an in state resident.

The loans are $44,500 a year for out of state students, so it won't be $250,000.

I am an out of staters who got into OUCOM this year. After you are granted admission they send you a new form outlining the contract which lets you know that the 5 years include residency regardless of residency chosen. If you choose a primary care residency then you get a 2 for 1 of 1.5 for 1 deal where you will be able to pay off your commitment by the end of a 3 year residency. If it is not a primary care residency it is 1 for 1. If you do not fulfill the commitment then you owe them $$. The amount of money is not specified exactly. Hope this helps!

Lisa3158 said:
I am an out of staters who got into OUCOM this year. After you are granted admission they send you a new form outlining the contract which lets you know that the 5 years include residency regardless of residency chosen. If you choose a primary care residency then you get a 2 for 1 of 1.5 for 1 deal where you will be able to pay off your commitment by the end of a 3 year residency. If it is not a primary care residency it is 1 for 1. If you do not fulfill the commitment then you owe them $$. The amount of money is not specified exactly. Hope this helps!

Thank you for that clarification, Lisa. Good to know.

So, if we back out of the contract, we are required to pay back an arbitrary amt. of money?