Which dental school location contains the most attractive people?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL incisor, welllllllllllll, when you have a family of 3, please come back to this post to confirm if you can live on 25k a year.

I use to read your posts and thought they were decent but this comment completely makes me think you are out of touch with reality.

25k a year is only sufficient for a conservative couple. A child comes in will take like 1k-1.5k at least from you monthly.

Family of three comfortable on $26k a year? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

$26k for a single person is absolutely awful. You're not living in reality if you think you are going to survive on that, especially with a $100k income after school.
Meh, $26K for a single person sounds doable, albeit living frugally. But yeah $26K for a family, or even a couple sounds out of touch

Y'all are some frivolous spenders... Your perspective of comfortable is obviously different from many people. Maybe 26k in Manhattan or NY is ridiculous but VERY doable in other states as long as you know how to budget wisely. I actually find it very rude to be laughing at others and how they would like to spend their own money. Unless you're their accountant, you don't have any right to say things like that.

I, myself, am a prime example of living comfortably with my entire family we make less than $20k, we even take vacations every few years. I'm not sitting in rag under a bridge, complaining about how my life sucks. I'm doing everything I can to make a better future for my family, and I do so through education.

Humble yourselves.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I, myself, am a prime example of living comfortably with my entire family we make less than $20k, we even take vacations every few years. I'm not sitting in rag under a bridge, complaining about how my life sucks. I'm doing everything I can to make a better future for my family, and I do so through education.

You are a great inspiration. Can I get an amen?!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Y'all are some frivolous spenders... Your perspective of comfortable is obviously different from many people. Maybe 26k in Manhattan or NY is ridiculous but VERY doable in other states as long as you know how to budget wisely. I actually find it very rude to be laughing at others and how they would like to spend their own money. Unless you're their accountant, you don't have any right to say things like that.

Humble yourselves.
Living off of 20 thousand a year is approximately 1600 a month. If you care to share with your spendings I would be more inclined to agree. Let's assume your rent is $500 which is on the low side and food for a family of 3 we can approximate it at $400 and take into account gas, let's once again assume it to be roughly $200 between the both of you. You can see where I am going with this. We have not even factored in insurance, electric, water, health insurance, your vacation and many countless other expenses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Living off of 20 thousand a year is approximately 1600 a month. If you care to share with your spendings I would be more inclined to agree. Let's assume your rent is $500 which is on the low side and food for a family of 3 we can approximate it at $400 and take into account gas, let's once again assume it to be roughly $200 between the both of you. You can see where I am going with this. We have not even factored in insurance, electric, water, health insurance, your vacation and many countless other expenses.

Surely, another member asked me this as well.

This is our monthly allocations:
$800/mo rent (SW Houston, 3 bed, 2 bath, 1 story)
~$100/gas (two cars, both paid off, we don't live far from work/school)
~$40-60 / electricity (Lite-Up Texas discount)
$60/phone (prepaid phones are the best (y'all should sign up with $19/mo Ultra Mobile)
$30/water/gas
$130/ car insurance
$50/mo health insurance
Food is provided via food stamps at an average of $200-300/month
$100 misc
$100 restaurants

Believe it or not, we usually have some money left over for savings as well.

Reactions: 3 users

$60/phone (prepaid phones are the best (y'all should sign up with $19/mo Ultra Mobile)
$30/water/gas
$130/ car insurance
$50/mo health insurance
$100 misc
$100 restaurants

If you want another sample budget, look at this link: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/01/16/exposed-the-mmm-familys-2014-spending/

Conclusion: it's possible to live well on 25K a year. Location matters, but it's not impossible by any stretch. It's not necessary to spend 70K a year to be happy.

26k. That's about 1 year rent for decent apartment in Boston exclusing food and others

There are plenty of people who have not experienced living at these standards, many people come from different backgrounds and different locations. It's just all based on their standard of living and ultimately boils down to their location.

Last edited:
Challenge accepted. Thank you for the added motivation. Just click through that blog I have linked you and look at how happy that family is and at their level of consumption. I know most of you won't bother so here is the short breakdown; they retired early on two normal salaries (below 90K), their investments bring them over 80K a year, and they only spend 26K a year because that is all that is needed to make them happy. Don't believe me? Read it and see for yourself.

Still though, everyone has the right to spend their own money his or her way, and we're all going to be having plenty of it in the future, since we are so fortunate to have a chosen a profession with great financial rewards.

OP sorry for the derail.

$30/water/gas
$130/ car insurance
$50/mo health insurance
$100 misc
$100 restaurants

Now, I originally wrote my initial reply assuming Incis0r was planning to live on 25K a year as a DENTIST with family of three.
If that $26K was for you alone, then I agree with you that it is possible.

I have always lived in urban environment, so I admit the base rent I had in mind was higher than suburban or rural rent. (So yes, this all pretty much comes down to location) I also assumed that you weren't planning to live in your parents' home or planning on eating ramen for every meal.

Incis0r, you replied saying that 26K is enough for a RETIRED couple.
They probably do not have to worry about mortgages or paying off a car, which you were planning on doing.
As a freshly graduated dentist, we also have additional fees such as malpractice insurance and membership for ADA that we have to worry about.
Also Typical Average Student, when you are a dentist making >100,000K a year you don't qualify for food stamps.
Based on your reply I get that you live frugally and you seem happy with it, and I respect that.
But please don't tell others to be humble. We have our standards and you have yours.

Reactions: 2 users
Now, I originally wrote my initial reply assuming Incis0r was planning to live on 25K a year as a DENTIST with family of three.
If that $26K was for you alone, then I agree with you that it is possible.

Go back to my original post- I had said that it is possible for a family of three, but that I personally plan to live on 25K alone. The possibility for a family of three has been proven by TAS's and MMM's budgets.

I have always lived in urban environment, so I admit the base rent I had in mind was higher than suburban or rural rent. (So yes, this all pretty much comes down to location) I also assumed that you weren't planning to live in your parents' home or planning on eating ramen for every meal.

These assumptions are correct. I like to cook; I'd probably be going to the grocery store every week.

Incis0r, you replied saying that 26K is enough for a RETIRED couple.
They probably do not have to worry about mortgages or paying off a car, which you were planning on doing.

Mortgage is going to be inside my 2.5K/month bill. You can get a decent house in some pretty amazing parts of the country for $600-$800/mo, 30 yr fixed mortgage. Car is going to be minimally used. One can buy some pretty nice vehicles for a very low price these days.

Also, let me be clear, when I say "retired," I don't mean that I stop working. I mean financial independence...in that I have enough income from passive sources that I don't need to work for money...I work for the pleasure of it.

As a freshly graduated dentist, we also have additional fees such as malpractice insurance and membership for ADA that we have to worry about.

Write-off as overhead or have employer take care of it.

Also Typical Average Student, when you are a dentist making >100,000K a year you don't qualify for food stamps.
Based on your reply I get that you live frugally and you seem happy with it, and I respect that.
But please don't tell others to be humble. We have our standards and you have yours.

Response in quotes.

Last edited:
Are we no longer talking about attractive people or what?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha yeah sorry for the derail OP.

Last edited:

Attachments

• tumblr_mkxjvjXft71s5drvyo3_1280.png.jpeg
    tumblr_mkxjvjXft71s5drvyo3_1280.png.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 312
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Wow. I come into this thread expecting a sophisticated conversation and I just get bickering! Settle down all of you or I will uh...

Boys will be boys.

so how common are relationships between dental students?
i'm guessing it's rare or else there'd be some interesting drama. i might actually enjoy that:corny:

$26k when your parents are still paying your bills then fine. $26k while paying health insurance, house insurance, car insurance, rent, food is scrapping by. If you have a car payment, you will be broke.

$26k a year is nothing. One emergency and you will be calling dad for money to fix your car or ac unit.
There are Medicaid, food stamp, and some extra help programs so maybe they'll have at least a couple hundreds left every month.

so how common are relationships between dental students?
i'm guessing it's rare or else there'd be some interesting drama. i might actually enjoy that:corny:

I was told that dental school drama is just like high school drama. The only difference is that the people around you are all pretty smart and the gossip is even juicier.

Reactions: 7 users
Oh god, don't date people you go to school with hahaha. Everyone knows everyone else's business and the gossip is unreal. Plus when you inevitably break up the whole school will know and take sides and things will be super awkward. I've seen it happen.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh god, don't date people you go to school with hahaha. Everyone knows everyone else's business and the gossip is unreal. Plus when you inevitably break up the whole school will know and take sides and things will be super awkward. I've seen it happen.

yeah but you don't have to worry cause you go to NYU, where the class size is ridiculously high! I'm sure your whole school size is bigger than some community colleges in America hahaha

The title of this thread is now extremely misleading. Nevertheless, there are some good points being made. I'm not going through the years of studying and an enormous debt just so I could live on 25k a year. It's totally doable and maybe even a good exercise for someone who is not so conscious of their spendings. Ultimately, to each their own.

The reason why I stated "location" and not "school" IS because I know that dating classmates will overcomplicate things when the relationship goes sour.

The title of this thread is now extremely misleading. Nevertheless, there are some good points being made. I'm not going through the years of studying and an enormous debt just so I could live on 25k a year. It's totally doable and maybe even a good exercise for someone who is not so conscious of their spendings. Ultimately, to each their own.

The reason why I stated "location" and not "school" IS because I know that dating classmates will overcomplicate things when the relationship goes sour.

I'd have to say New York then. With so much people, its kind of impossible to not find attractive people on the street.

I'd have to say New York then. With so much people, its kind of impossible to not find attractive people on the street.

We have plenty of attractive people. But... dating in New York is terrible unless you're only interested in casually dating and sleeping around. NYC is like the worst city ever for long term meaningful relationships.

We have plenty of attractive people. But... dating in New York is terrible unless you're only interested in casually dating and sleeping around. NYC is like the worst city ever for long term meaningful relationships.

Omg

That lawyer is over the top!

Kinda makes me wonder if there is a dentist to reflect that type of lifestyle....

I wouldn't mind. . . Lol..

' Cleavage to make Christmas better '

When I interviewed with CaseWestern my interviewer was boasting about all the cute girls he accepted into the dental program...no joke.

He literally opened up his computer and showed me the acceptance class of 2014 and showed me all the cuties he accepted. hahaha I just laughed.

um................. somebody could get offended.

How about Buffalo? Its right next to the falls and Toronto

How about Buffalo? Its right next to the falls and Toronto

Iono bout buffalo, but I've been to toronto and I can say that the girls there are beautiful. So maybe just cross the boarder over the weekends?

Grading a potential partner on their perceived 'hotness' is like a dental school grading candidates only on their grades.

Grading a potential partner on their perceived 'hotness' is like a dental school grading candidates only on their grades.

i have to disagree with this. Perceived hotness tells nothing about their inside

however, candidates' grades tell A LOT about their inside (at least work ethic, determination, etc)

i have to disagree with this. Perceived hotness tells nothing about their inside

however, candidates' grades tell A LOT about their inside (at least work ethic, determination, etc)

Grades are a very one-dimensional measure of a candidate. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't have anything else to do during the application process except submit our grades.

Don't forget, appearance says a lot about your biology. How healthy do you seem? Are you fertile and do you display a high level of biological fitness? That doesn't mean it isn't a superficial measure of a human when taken alone.

Iono bout buffalo, but I've been to toronto and I can say that the girls there are beautiful. So maybe just cross the boarder over the weekends?

I agree with you on Toronto girls. They are sooo gorgeous. Just sayin.

I agree with you on Toronto girls. They are sooo gorgeous. Just sayin.
I live just outside Toronto, and yes the girls are attractive, but many of them are gold diggers and just love the attention. Just gotta be careful ;)

I live just outside Toronto, and yes the girls are attractive, but many of them are gold diggers and just love the attention. Just gotta be careful ;)
Ugh, that is NOT what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the look out bro. sigh*

The dental school with the hottest girls is the one you end up going to.