which DO schools REALLY favor instate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

supernareg

my application is average... i'll be takin MCAT july 24th, and expectinga 25ish. i'm from CA...

which states will not take OOS?

Members don't see this ad.

my application is average... i'll be takin MCAT july 24th, and expectinga 25ish. i'm from CA...

Most DO schools will take OOS students, but it will be an uphill battle at MSU-COM and UMDNJ-SOM.

Edit: I forgot OU-COM... they're probably a little more difficult for OOS students than the two above.

T-COM is a whole different story. You'll need to apply through TMDSAS and it is heavilly slanted towards TX residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, PCOM favors PA residents and UNECOM favors New England. You can do a search to find numbers for how strong they favor, UNECOM includes the info on their website. To my understanding, NYCOM favors New Yorkers as well, but that's just what I get from reading forums. I don't know about CA for favorings, the new school opening in Yakima might favor your coast, but I think that its favoring will gear most towards the Northwest.

Does Touro have any preference for in-state? I wasn't aware that PCOM had any preference for residents. Everything else I've seen states otherwise. I could see UNECOM, but again, that isn't advertised as well. Anyone have the stats on this? I'm curious!

Nice! I wish we had a way to update that data. Thanks for posting that. I really have to wonder how reliable that data is because I know for a fact that OSU-COM has more than 500 apps a year, its more like 1500-2000. So I know those numbers are skewed, although the percents are pretty close. So PCOM doesn't really have a preference but they take about 50% IS and 50% OOS for interviews.

Its nice to see that the schools do consider if you are from the area. I think that a basis of the schools foundations for supplying their area with physicians too.

Does Touro have any preference for in-state? I wasn't aware that PCOM had any preference for residents. Everything else I've seen states otherwise. I could see UNECOM, but again, that isn't advertised as well. Anyone have the stats on this? I'm curious!

I met with an admissions rep from PCOM because I live nearby and she told me being local would certainly help, perhaps they favor the Phila area and not the state as a whole. UNECOM's site states "In keeping with the mission of the institution, generally 60 percent of the accepted class is from New England. There are also many students from California, Colorado, Florida, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York." It has other information somewhere on the site, but I'm having trouble finding it at the moment. I believe that stats in US News confirm the higher rate of acceptances for PCOM for PA as well, but I suppose there could be other factors contributing this besides the school itself. For instance, PA residents applying to the five Philly schools and wanting to stay in the area. Not sure that that makes any sense, I think I'm talking jibberish at this point.

Its nice to see that the schools do consider if you are from the area. I think that a basis of the schools foundations for supplying their area with physicians too.

You're right. That's the reason PCOM rep told me it would help being local.

Nice! I wish we had a way to update that data. Thanks for posting that. I really have to wonder how reliable that data is because I know for a fact that OSU-COM has more than 500 apps a year, its more like 1500-2000. So I know those numbers are skewed, although the percents are pretty close. So PCOM doesn't really have a preference but they take about 50% IS and 50% OOS for interviews.

This is getting rather annoying. I have said numerous times that PCOM interviews the same number of IS and OOS applicants BUT THAT IS MISLEADING by itself.

The fact is that there are FAR MORE OOS applicants. In fact, OOS applicants outnumber in-state applicants by over 3:1.

What does this tell us? An in-state applicant is far more likely to get an interview than an OOS applicant and the in-state applicant is thus more likely to be accepted at the beginning of the process than an OOS applicant.

There is a huge preference at PCOM. Perhaps not as bad as state schools -- but it is significant.

This is getting rather annoying. I have said numerous times that PCOM interviews the same number of IS and OOS applicants BUT THAT IS MISLEADING by itself.

The fact is that there are FAR MORE OOS applicants. In fact, OOS applicants outnumber in-state applicants by over 3:1.

What does this tell us? An in-state applicant is far more likely to get an interview than an OOS applicant and the in-state applicant is thus more likely to be accepted at the beginning of the process than an OOS applicant.

There is a huge preference at PCOM. Perhaps not as bad as state schools -- but it is significant.
No need to get defensive about it. I understand statistics and maybe I should have clarified. :) I get what you're saying which is why I said half and half to clarify. Also, not everyone reads every single thread in here so while you might feel repetitious you probably aren't being as repetitious as you think!

Thanks for the information.

No need to get defensive about it. I understand statistics and maybe I should have clarified. :) I get what you're saying which is why I said half and half to clarify. Also, not everyone reads every single thread in here so while you might feel repetitious you probably aren't being as repetitious as you think!

Thanks for the information.

my bad... i was taking a break at work bc i was having back spasms. I wasn't in the best mood :oops: Sorry to bite your head off!

Members don't see this ad :)
pikeville heavily HEAVILY favors in-state and appalachian region applicants

Sorry about hi-jacking this thread in advance...but what about the new schools...PNUHS (I'm trying to be mature about that :laugh:) and the Rocky Vista school.

They didnt even show up on my end when I e-submitted... why is that??? Are they not "official" yet?

Sorry to hi-jack this one in advance...but what about the new schools...PNUHS (I'm trying to be mature about that :laugh:) and the Rocky Vista school.

They didnt even show up on my end when I e-submitted... why is that??? Are they not "official" yet?

I don't think they can start accepting applicants yet, but I'm pretty sure both hope to later in the cycle. Also, I was looking at the Rocky Vista one the other day and I'm pretty sure it said somewhere on the site that they will favor CO residents. I have no idea about PNUHS ;)

Most DO schools will take OOS students, but it will be an uphill battle at MSU-COM and UMDNJ-SOM.

Edit: I forgot OU-COM... they're probably a little more difficult for OOS students than the two above.

T-COM is a whole different story. You'll need to apply through TMDSAS and it is heavilly slanted towards TX residents.

According to admissions staff this is not true for UMDNJSOM. They say there is virtually no in-state bias. I find it hard to believe also, but that is what I heard straight from them through e-mails.

TCOM has to take at least 90% in-state students. That means that there can be up to 10% out-of-state, but not necessarily that much. Also for TCOM the GPA is not calculated the same as AACOMAS does it so that is another thing you would have to consider.

I don't think they can start accepting applicants yet, but I'm pretty sure both hope to later in the cycle. Also, I was looking at the Rocky Vista one the other day and I'm pretty sure it said somewhere on the site that they will favor CO residents. I have no idea about PNUHS ;)

I would agree. Last year Touro NY only started taking applications in Feb. Maybe those schools will start taking apps. at that time. Good Luck to those applying.

Not true. About 1/2 of UMDNJ-SOM's class are OOS. At least this is what Nate always posts on here.

Anybody know about is/oos preference for kcumb and Des Moines COM?
I was thinking about adding them to my list.

Anybody know about is/oos preference for kcumb and Des Moines COM?
I was thinking about adding them to my list.

I do not think that KCUMB gives any preference to instaters. If you are OOS and plan on applying to KCUMB, I do not think it will work against you in any way.

I could have misread this, but according to that data ... does New England only have 52 in state applicants a year, and they interview 37 of them?? Because if so, those are amazing in-state odds.

this doesnt really answer the posters question but thought i would add that at WVSOM there is about a 50/50 split and both VCOM and PCSOM prefer to have students from the Appalachian region, with VCOM reserving 50% of their seats for them, though the Appalachian region covers a lot of states, Virginia, North Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, Maryland, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York and West Virginia, and they also recruit applicants from other rural areas and URMs.

I could have misread this, but according to that data ... does New England only have 52 in state applicants a year, and they interview 37 of them?? Because if so, those are amazing in-state odds.

Doesn't UNECOM guarantee interviews to all Maine residents? And yeah, they have a very strong regional bias.

DMU has no regional preference as far as I know. If anything, they target West Coasters and even interview there. I think COMP favors people in the West Coast, so that's another advantage. I don't know about the Touro schools.

The good news is that there are no DO schools that will not consider OOS applicants, so I'd recommend applying to any school that appeals to you. Even the schools with a strong state or regional bias interview and accept a good number of OOS and out of region students.

I do not think that KCUMB gives any preference to instaters. If you are OOS and plan on applying to KCUMB, I do not think it will work against you in any way.

myself and a friend both from IL got into KCUMB.

I met with an admissions rep from PCOM because I live nearby and she told me being local would certainly help, perhaps they favor the Phila area and not the state as a whole. UNECOM's site states "In keeping with the mission of the institution, generally 60 percent of the accepted class is from New England. There are also many students from California, Colorado, Florida, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York." It has other information somewhere on the site, but I'm having trouble finding it at the moment. I believe that stats in US News confirm the higher rate of acceptances for PCOM for PA as well, but I suppose there could be other factors contributing this besides the school itself. For instance, PA residents applying to the five Philly schools and wanting to stay in the area. Not sure that that makes any sense, I think I'm talking jibberish at this point.

So You're local eh? Born and Raised in the Northeast<g> Are you applying for admission for this upcoming year?

I'm a New Jersey resident now and was wondering what UMDNY-SOM is like as far as admitting New Jersey Residents... I sent an email to the admissions staff asking particular questions concerning their class composition the past few years and was met with a standard "pamphlet" mailing... I'll look further into it later lol.

UMDNJ-SOM's statistics are misleading because it's really easy to get NJ residency after you're admitted, so it looks like 98% or so of their students are instate. However, in reality they give no preference to NJ residents in terms of admissions. It's just that all the OOS admissions become instate.

Not true. About 1/2 of UMDNJ-SOM's class are OOS. At least this is what Nate always posts on here.

Hey all I know is I asked the question directly and got a nice little " Pamphlet in the Mail" response lol...

But one thing that was amazing was that it arrived at my door quicker than the Silver Surfer himself... It was like I think I emailed it one night and the next day it was in my mailbox but alas it did not contain any statistics concerning in state vs OOS admissions.. which to me being a Non traditionals non trad of non traditional origin with non traditional concepts of my own non traditional importance in an intellectual system that non traditionally couldn't care less ... ( what I'm trying to say is I DON'T WANT TO MOVE ! lol) ...

I'd be happier if I could see numbers that significantly stated low numbers of accepted OOS Students at UMDNJ facilities.... just for my own prurient Self interest <g>

Otherwise I guess I'd have to expand my horizons from NJ to NY to PA down to good ole FLA... but I'm not really thinking Mississippi (nothin against Ole Miss just not where I see myself living and practicing should this all work out )